• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
We are taking our baby to the vet to get his nails and beak filed or trimmed and I’m really hating it :banghead: I don’t want her to be sore or in pain.
Please tell me what to expect? Also if I helped the vet holding her will that increase or decrease her stress? Will she hate us after words?

here’s few pics of our baby with her amazingly beautiful beak, fyi our baby has scissors beak.
E4134C80-8F95-4A44-A415-E860781B0C25.jpeg BAE50CB5-5D44-4957-947F-2B3A28813EB2.jpeg

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Her nails don't look very long but it will be okay. She will not hate you afterward. They get over it.

I do all my birds nails and they don't hate me. :D
thank you! The problem is they’re very sharp, my skin is literally looking like a grid:hilarious: They’ll just smooth it.

but the beak is what’s breaking my heart I read there’s a lot of nerves and it might hurt for a day or two

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If they file too much it will hurt them. If they only file what's needed it shouldn't hurt at all.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
If they file too much it will hurt them. If they only file what's needed it shouldn't hurt at all.
Thank you! We did it and after it was finished she came straight to my arms we only filed a bit of the lower and the vet said to come once a month and hopefully it’ll fix her beak for good.

i can tell it hurts her a bit because every time she hold something with her beak she shakes it. we will keep an eye on our princess and see how it goes.

here’s an image after her fight with a corn on the cob
4890E2F0-D323-41E3-B290-A1776C768ED6.jpeg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you! We did it and after it was finished she came straight to my arms we only filed a bit of the lower and the vet said to come once a month and hopefully it’ll fix her beak for good.

i can tell it hurts her a bit because every time she hold something with her beak she shakes it. we will keep an eye on our princess and see how it goes.

here’s an image after her fight with a corn on the cob
View attachment 348877
Does your vet feel it is correctable? My good friend swears to me they are usually not fixable and as much as I know he knows what he is talking about I don't wish to believe him.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Does your vet feel it is correctable? My good friend swears to me they are usually not fixable and as much as I know he knows what he is talking about I don't wish to believe him.
he told us, Tangawizi’s case can be fixed but it’ll take along time, he seems to have a plan in regard to that. He also said it is getting better than it used to be when she was younger even before we filed it yesterday for the first time.

for me as long as she’s able to eat and climb properly, with or without the scissors beak issue, I’m happy tbh:xflove:

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
I'm just curious.. Did the vet take x-rays of the beak?
If the bone of the upper beak is in a correct position.. Then it will get fixed in time. If not then you're in for liflelong correction trims.
Edit; forgot to say she's adorable!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
When they are babies that bottom beak is rather rounded. As they grow up and start beak grinding they get a nice groove in that top beak that the bottom fits into. I've fixed a few slight scissors in my life but this one is a bit more than I've personally done. Like I've said, I hope my friend is wrong as I just can't imagine it not being fixable with time.

This would be something I would normally shoot a picture to my vet but... I lost my vet to covid. :( The vet I'm using now I'm not really in sync with yet... or ever. UGH

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
I'm just curious.. Did the vet take x-rays of the beak?
If the bone of the upper beak is in a correct position.. Then it will get fixed in time. If not then you're in for liflelong correction trims.
Edit; forgot to say she's adorable!
Aww thank you! She totally is :heart:
He didn’t, he also didn’t touch the upper beak only filed the lower one.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
When they are babies that bottom beak is rather rounded. As they grow up and start beak grinding they get a nice groove in that top beak that the bottom fits into. I've fixed a few slight scissors in my life but this one is a bit more than I've personally done. Like I've said, I hope my friend is wrong as I just can't imagine it not being fixable with time.

This would be something I would normally shoot a picture to my vet but... I lost my vet to covid. :( The vet I'm using now I'm not really in sync with yet... or ever. UGH
I’m very sorry you lost your vet :’(

It’s really hard to find a good vet here in my country, I’ve been communicating with whoever I come across online from all over the world just to try to come IP with a conclusion of my own then I can evaluate the our vet opinion according to the info I gathered.
For example he said that Tangawizi’s nails doesn’t need trimming or filing and that comforted me because it’s aligning with your advice, being our lifesaver and all :xflove:

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
@Macawnutz @macawpower58 hey guys how are you? Now I just have one question before I start loosing my mind, is it normal tanga doesn’t reply and ignore me when I ask her to fly to me? 2 months ago she used to come always, now not at all !

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes Weko, it's very normal.
As he grows, he may come when called, or he may not.
Chaos (my 21 year old macaw) knows what come here means, and sometimes he'll come, other times he won't.
Macaws pretty much do what they please.
They listen 'sometimes' if it pleases them to.
Or if they think you'll reward them.
I know no parrot that is obedient like a dog. NONE

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Macawnutz @macawpower58 hey guys how are you? Now I just have one question before I start loosing my mind, is it normal tanga doesn’t reply and ignore me when I ask her to fly to me? 2 months ago she used to come always, now not at all !
:rofl:
Mine have the attitude of "what's in it for me?"
If I don't have ( in my hand ) something they want they would not fly to me when called. :laugh:

They have many phases of baby. First they are completely dependant on you and need you for everything. Then they learn to fly and feel independant. Then they start to fly more and come back for comfort. Then they think they are all grown up and don't need you again. back and forth... it will change again and again. Once she becomes very treat motivated you will find things get easier again. I don't think I did much with treats until Korbel was about a year old.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I think that you and Tanga are a good pair. She is just as independent as you are and you as independent as her. You two will meet in the middle - SOMEDAY.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Yes Weko, it's very normal.
As he grows, he may come when called, or he may not.
Chaos (my 21 year old macaw) knows what come here means, and sometimes he'll come, other times he won't.
Macaws pretty much do what they please.
They listen 'sometimes' if it pleases them to.
Or if they think you'll reward them.
I know no parrot that is obedient like a dog. NONE
I think it’s a “getting used to kind of thing” because I let her out of the cage every morning and I call her To fly to me a couple of times before breakfast time, as a result she comes to me when I call her more than she does when weko calls her, so if we practice it more with well she’ll respond better

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Ok you guys we need some comforting and advice from you, because tanga bit @weko badly after he gave her a shower when he tried to put her by the window to dry up. So as a result he got so upset and put her in the cage and doesn’t want to let her out of it all the time unless someone is playing with her, hoping it’ll teach her that biting is bad and because she might need to bite more wood (perches) to substitue for human biting.

Personally I disagree though I’m fully respecting his decision, because I want her around us all the time to increase our bonding time specially that we would and can’t spend a long time with her before her bedtime :heart: and I also believe that the cage shouldn’t be a punishment or something a bird should resents.

Please share with us your wisdom in this regard:geek:

here’s a pic of our beloved Tangawizi wanting to tag along to my work lol
8372286A-6448-4804-98EA-AB2DF4B07204.jpeg F41A574E-90C0-45BE-BDE1-AEADAB9322B0.jpeg
and here cuddling with her loving papa @weko
01809D88-E94F-4B09-BB71-484BFC772351.jpeg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Biting is the bane of a macaw owner. She's a youngster and doesn't know how strong or weak her bites are. The one thing I can advise right now is to teach her "gentle" when playing with her and watching closely enough that she never makes a successful bite -every successful bite is self perpetuating.

She's becoming a big girl and some of her actions will be that of a big girl without the common sense behind them. You and Weko are the adults in the room and you must be the one who guide her.