• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I agree that the cage shouldn’t be a place of punishment. I don’t use it as such, because I want my little one to associate the cage with comfort and a place to hang out and play when he can’t be out with me.
If Tanga bites, I would put her down and walk away calmly from her, ignore her for a few minutes, then come back and go about spending time with her as you usually do. If she bites again, use this some process all over. Taking attention away from her should be something she doesn’t enjoy, so it should eventually make her realize that biting doesn’t get her anything fun. Also, I’ve been told if they bite down as babies, because they don’t know their own strength, you should calmly tell them “easy” or “gentle” and push their Beak away, so that they learn the correct pressure to use when playing. I haven’t had to try this yet so I don’t know how feasible or possible it is to do it, but it is the advice that has been given to me.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Punishment like putting them back in the cage and leaving them there for prolonged periods does not ever have the desired effect we tend to assume it will have- they will not learn that they are in there for biting too hard once before but they will learn that they get locked up for too long so they will avoid letting you put them in the cage, this can be a big problem if you ever need to get Tanga in the cage in a hurry at a later date.

Teaching the word gentle is one of the best things I think I ever taught Burt. I found that commenting aloud while Burt was preening was helpful for me to easily teach him what gentle and ouch meant. He would preen nicely and I would say something like "nice and gentle" then whenever he was a bit rough and he would make a horrible noise because he hurt himself I would say something like "ouch, too rough" or "be gentle" he connected the dots pretty fast. He will sometimes try taking frustrations out on me by pinching and if I say nothing the pinching gets harder but if I say Ouch or Be gentle he will release and be much more tender with that beak.

Burt is a total brat when he is wet- too excited and impulsive to be trustworthy lol. I avoid doing anything but paying full attention to every movement he makes when he is wet, if I let my mind wander I can guarantee I will get pinched badly.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Biting is the bane of a macaw owner. She's a youngster and doesn't know how strong or weak her bites are. The one thing I can advise right now is to teach her "gentle" when playing with her and watching closely enough that she never makes a successful bite -every successful bite is self perpetuating.

She's becoming a big girl and some of her actions will be that of a big girl without the common sense behind them. You and Weko are the adults in the room and you must be the one who guide her.
Thank you!
Hubby and myself are truly appreciating your usual support and very grateful for responses. :heart:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh I love biting babies. :laughin:

Scroll back and somewhere in this thread I'm sure I wrote... "Just when you think you can't take it anymore, they will change the game completely".
They are a roller coaster at this age. You just need to keep a level head and love them unconditionally. I have never used the cage as punishment. Like others have said withdrawing attention is best. Teaching gentle is imperative. Clear words in certain tones. Repeating "gentle" or "easy" in a calm easy voice when they are being gentle. A firmer "gentle" when they are starting to get rougher. If a bite occurs a firm "No Bite" and setting her down and walking away for a minute. At that age a 1-2 minute timeout is really all they understand. You really can't hold a grudge here. She doesn't know her bite hurts you she did something by instinct. You have to remember that birds are not domestic animals. They are wild animals only a few generations from being in the wild. You have to have patience and teach her right from wrong like her parents would.

Waco... you will love this. :D Your wife has been pretty spot on for most of your upsets. When something happens take a breath and hand the naughty toddler to your wife. ;)

Just a question.... Who does she favor between the two of you?

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Oh I love biting babies. :laughin:

Scroll back and somewhere in this thread I'm sure I wrote... "Just when you think you can't take it anymore, they will change the game completely".
They are a roller coaster at this age. You just need to keep a level head and love them unconditionally. I have never used the cage as punishment. Like others have said withdrawing attention is best. Teaching gentle is imperative. Clear words in certain tones. Repeating "gentle" or "easy" in a calm easy voice when they are being gentle. A firmer "gentle" when they are starting to get rougher. If a bite occurs a firm "No Bite" and setting her down and walking away for a minute. At that age a 1-2 minute timeout is really all they understand. You really can't hold a grudge here. She doesn't know her bite hurts you she did something by instinct. You have to remember that birds are not domestic animals. They are wild animals only a few generations from being in the wild. You have to have patience and teach her right from wrong like her parents would.

Waco... you will love this. :D Your wife has been pretty spot on for most of your upsets. When something happens take a breath and hand the naughty toddler to your wife. ;)

Just a question.... Who does she favor between the two of you?
Honestly i would love love love it lol one time Tangawizi wasn’t responding much to weko i felt he’s about to go crazy lol so I grabbed Tangawizi and ran away from Weko and locked the door, it was hilarious.

to answer your question she loves weko more she goes to him all the time to cuddle and hug, but goes to me to play and sleep on my shoulder and plucks our my head hair lol

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
I agree that the cage shouldn’t be a place of punishment. I don’t use it as such, because I want my little one to associate the cage with comfort and a place to hang out and play when he can’t be out with me.
If Tanga bites, I would put her down and walk away calmly from her, ignore her for a few minutes, then come back and go about spending time with her as you usually do. If she bites again, use this some process all over. Taking attention away from her should be something she doesn’t enjoy, so it should eventually make her realize that biting doesn’t get her anything fun. Also, I’ve been told if they bite down as babies, because they don’t know their own strength, you should calmly tell them “easy” or “gentle” and push their Beak away, so that they learn the correct pressure to use when playing. I haven’t had to try this yet so I don’t know how feasible or possible it is to do it, but it is the advice that has been given to me.
thank you!
I’ll try my best to ignore her when she bites I love her so much I just want to spoil her all the time so ignoring her for me is so so hard to do :banghead::lol:

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
thank you!
I’ll try my best to ignore her when she bites I love her so much I just want to spoil her all the time so ignoring her for me is so so hard to do :banghead::lol:
I totally understand! I don’t like to take any attention away from my baby either, but just a minute or two if she bites, then you can go right back to cuddling and spoiling!! :p

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hi guys,

Here’s the update on days with our Tangawizi:
He still doesn’t eat veggies as full meal, please share with me recipe ideas if you have any to try it with her. I chopped for her (carrot, broccoli, cabbage, hot chili, cauliflower, cucumber, zucchini) and I added to it chickpeas and blueberries and sometimes raspberries. Then I sprinkle some ground pallets on top. Sometimes I cut corn on cob he enjoys attacking.
She’s enjoys her bowl of mixed nuts which I also sprinkle some ground pallets on.
Recently she doesn’t mind biting a pallets as is she would eat 2-3 pieces before getting distracted with something else. Mostly we soak it, warm it and feed it to her as a meal.

We also noticed her tail looking like it’s been cut (attached) or something, she likes climbing her cage when she knows where awake or at home and just want to stay out of it.

here’s a video of our princess playing for her fans out there lol
:heart:

Attachments

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Aw she is so gorgeous and that video is the cutest thing. My boy, 19 weeks, hasn’t really started playing like that. He always wants to me on me and I’ve only in the last few days gotten him to be willing to sit on the bed with me instead of being on my arm or shoulder. I hope he will start playing like that soon!
I wouldn’t stress too much about what she is eating as she looks happy and healthy.. she will come along at her own pace, just keep offering things every day like you are doing. I will definitely share my chop recipe though when I get home later so you can try it with her :)
I’m not sure about the tail thing.. I’m sure someone will be on that can tell you what might have happened to it though.
I wish we lived close, Tanga and Loki could have a play date:p lol

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Aw she is so gorgeous and that video is the cutest thing. My boy, 19 weeks, hasn’t really started playing like that. He always wants to me on me and I’ve only in the last few days gotten him to be willing to sit on the bed with me instead of being on my arm or shoulder. I hope he will start playing like that soon!
I wouldn’t stress too much about what she is eating as she looks happy and healthy.. she will come along at her own pace, just keep offering things every day like you are doing. I will definitely share my chop recipe though when I get home later so you can try it with her :)
I’m not sure about the tail thing.. I’m sure someone will be on that can tell you what might have happened to it though.
I wish we lived close, Tanga and Loki could have a play date:p lol
Awwww that would be the cutest thing on earth, a macaw play date :heart: Honestly I think the reason she like to play is because we are offering her toys since day one (@weko is always on a shopping spree when it comes to Tangawizi toys and food it’s the most adorable thing ever)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Don't expect a nice tail for some time. Macaw babies are rough on their tails. Climbing the cage bars is probably snapping the feathers off a bit, and so can rolling about and playing.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The missing bits from the tail feathers will be where there were stress bars I’ll bet. Burt had a few feathers with deep stress bars and they tend to be weak where the bar runs and are much more easily worn off or broken as they play. It’s nothing to worry about :)

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Don't expect a nice tail for some time. Macaw babies are rough on their tails. Climbing the cage bars is probably snapping the feathers off a bit, and so can rolling about and playing.
Thank you!
She’s very rough specially when she hang on the cage door the moment she knows where awake telling us she’s ready to get her outta the cage lol

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
The missing bits from the tail feathers will be where there were stress bars I’ll bet. Burt had a few feathers with deep stress bars and they tend to be weak where the bar runs and are much more easily worn off or broken as they play. It’s nothing to worry about :)
Thank you so much!

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hi you guys!

Coming with few question and disagreement between hubby and myself for raising tanga.

1- I like to keep tanga most of the time with us and play with her and let Her take naps on my shoulder whenever she feels like it, hubby things I’m ruining her by spoiling her like this though I let her decide her preferences and I never force her into anything. should we keep her in the cage even if it’s not her bedtime and we are free and available.

2- she still plays with her food (doesn’t eat it as a full meal) so I try to offer her veggies anywhere anytime & hubby think I should put her in the cage along with the food so she learns there’s a place for everything and it doesn’t be chaotic and messy everywhere.

again disciple (my hubby) vs spoiling (until she’s two years old -yours truly)

help us please :)

attaching cute photos for our princess
7FE3F512-D832-4C85-B18A-0BEE42CFAFBB.jpeg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
When they are babies they want to spend LOTS of time with their parents. This will not last forever. Both my babies became more independent. When they were about 3-4 years old I couldn't keep them on me for more than a few minutes at a time. I get sweet snuggle cuddles with Korbel maybe once a week, Maui.... once every two months for five minutes. THey are 8 years old now. or.... 9? ugh.

The food... I don't sit on the couch and hand them food. They are on their playstands with table cloths on the floor. I don't put them back in their cages but they are out.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
When they are babies they want to spend LOTS of time with their parents. This will not last forever. Both my babies became more independent. When they were about 3-4 years old I couldn't keep them on me for more than a few minutes at a time. I get sweet snuggle cuddles with Korbel maybe once a week, Maui.... once every two months for five minutes. THey are 8 years old now. or.... 9? ugh.

The food... I don't sit on the couch and hand them food. They are on their playstands with table cloths on the floor. I don't put them back in their cages but they are out.
Omg I missing her setting on my shoulders and cuddling already :(
Thank you for the informative response as usual :heart:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
That's just a feather that was broken, probably during play or a odd landing.
It's nothing to worry about.
If you look closely at her, you'll probably find the other part of it still on her.
Babies do break feathers, they are so rough and tumble when playing.