• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
She's talking to you. It's macaw speech, and it's clearly communication. Understanding it is another matter! :laugh:

Answer her. :) She doesn't care what you say, as long as you're saying it back to her.

Some day, you may even understand each other.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Do you see how your issues/concerns change every week? She is a baby and is learning/changing/adapting quickly.

BG are noisey. They make contentment sounds all day. Much more than any other species of macaw.
She will learn to hold things with her feet when she is ready. She will also drink water when she is ready. Just keep showing her the water and dipping her little beak in it if she won't touch it. LOL

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Do you see how your issues/concerns change every week? She is a baby and is learning/changing/adapting quickly.

BG are noisey. They make contentment sounds all day. Much more than any other species of macaw.
She will learn to hold things with her feet when she is ready. She will also drink water when she is ready. Just keep showing her the water and dipping her little beak in it if she won't touch it. LOL
Yes u are right, every week new problem, my recent problem with her is she is stubborn and don’t want to listen, I think we need to start teaching her how to behave better instead of being all messy and nothing interests her now other than jumping on shoulders and faces. She is on 1 full meal in the night and 35cc in the morning yet she regurgitate is that normal ? One more thing for the last few days my wife notice that she stay like that in the middle of the day but in the morning she is on the perch, do I have to be concerned?
C86EDF96-BA64-4FE2-AD1F-E55A4DD5DF76.jpeg

How’s miss Tanga doing?? I love following her progress, haven’t seen anything from you in several days so just wanted to check in :)
Hey! @weko We need an update! :D
Sorry for not posting recently, I was isolating myself from my family due to suspicion of corona virus, but thank god everything is okay now.

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
So happy to hear from you and get an update on little Tanga :)
I would put more perches and toys in that cage to encourage her to climb around and explore more. I could be wrong, but it seems odd to me that she spends a lot of time on the bottom. Maybe with more perches and toys she would find more to do and not sit bored on the bottom?
I believe the stubborn streak is just a baby macaw being a baby macaw lol. Using positive reinforcement for things you want her to do and ignoring the bad behavior is what I’ve been taught to do. Others more experienced on AA may have different advise though. Overall I think her wanting to jump on you, climb everywhere, and make a mess, shows that she is a happy mischievous baby!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Where's all the toys that were in there?
Are they just up higher where we can't see them?

Perhaps put some low so she can play while on the bottom.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
So happy to hear from you and get an update on little Tanga :)
I would put more perches and toys in that cage to encourage her to climb around and explore more. I could be wrong, but it seems odd to me that she spends a lot of time on the bottom. Maybe with more perches and toys she would find more to do and not sit bored on the bottom?
I believe the stubborn streak is just a baby macaw being a baby macaw lol. Using positive reinforcement for things you want her to do and ignoring the bad behavior is what I’ve been taught to do. Others more experienced on AA may have different advise though. Overall I think her wanting to jump on you, climb everywhere, and make a mess, shows that she is a happy mischievous baby!
Don’t know really, what do u think @Macawnutz ?

Where's all the toys that were in there?
Are they just up higher where we can't see them?

Perhaps put some low so she can play while on the bottom.
yes I’ll take a photo later for her toys in the cage lots of toys

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
I finally got through all 21 pages! :roflmao:

Glad to see Tanga has done so well! Good job on doing everything for her too!

She's really cute :')

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How about you tell me what you expect your "life with a macaw" to be like and I will tell you if it's going to be anything close to reality. :D

The last word in the world I would use to describe any of my birds is "obedient". In fact if they know I want/need something I'm pretty darn sure they would do the opposite.
They are messy and stubborn. When being playful with me they are ridiculous and hang from my hair and the back of my pants. My BG :facepalm: I have two in my house now... I sit in my recliner for a moment and one sits on my lap trying to roll over and play bite me. The other sits on the back of the chair and preens/pulls out my hair while knocking me in the head with her beak yelling OUCH!

So, I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting your life to look like... o_O

You need way more perches. Preferably level perches as no one wants to sit on an angle. More toys and more things to do. She is young and if she wants to sit flat footed that is okay but make a spot for her to be comfortable down there. You can also buy platform perches so she can sit flat off the floor.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Life with macaws is wild, messy, frustrating, and a blast. If you're of an easy going mind set you'll do fine.
I you're anal about messiness, obedience, and beautiful things, you're in for a rude awakening.
Macaws are NOT OBEDIENT. The do what they want, when they want.
They don't care if it is a $20 dollar toy they chew, or a $2000 dollar table.
If they feel like yelling, they won't care if you're on the phone, or watching your favorite show.
If your shirts has buttons, it soon won't.
If you love those shoes, they may soon be 'distressed'.
If you want to sleep in, forget it.
If you like to stay up at night, your bird may be unhappy.
If you love your wife more than your bird, your bird may be unhappy.
But! They introduce you to a wild exotic beauty and zest for life I'd not live without.
They teach you about what's important, and what's not.
They show you how to take each day as it comes and not to worry 'too much' about tomorrow.
The bad is far outweighed by the good.
But! Be sure to hone your sense of humor, you are going to need it. :laugh:
Almost all macaw owners I know, have a very wacky, irreverent, wry sense of humor.

Last edited:

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hey everyone!
this is the wifey/Tangawizi’s mommy, firstly thank you everyone for all the advices and instructions you have provided us since day one. i cannot express how grateful and appreciative we are of your help to this bundle of joy of an addition to our family.

i cannot tell you guys how excited I wake up no matter how dead sleepy I am just to rush into Tanga’s room and go good morning babyeee~ and then she goes “LAAA~” and reach out with her tiny feet so I can carry her and gladly allow her to set on my shoulder while I make her breakfast and then she would mutter “La La La La La” through out the whole process lol

hubby and I are constantly discussing where he wants to train and discipline her and I just want to play, cuddle and spoil her and I’m afraid she’ll get hurt by hitting something or by being emotionally scarred. *someone is being an overprotective mommy*

I would like to get your advice on the below please:
1- can we potty train her? If it’s advisable please tell us how.
2- we current give around 90cc formule divided twice a day and 15grams pallets (only eats half or third of it) and vegetables she plays with most of it, so how much of each should we give her?
3-anyone has a cookbook for parrots where it states the portions and grams for each meal I’m serious..
4-she hates hates hates hates her harness and she bites me a lot when putting it on and off, however she more obedient with my husband who is quicker and firmer than I am, is there a way to fix this and make her less frightened from it.

I have attached a pic of my baby taking my shoulder to a next level lol she’s taking a nap laying down

F1BEADB8-3A18-470B-B78D-1452A7E70A96.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the avenue!
Firm, obedience, discipline, potty training........ not really good or appropriate words or behaviors for getting the best out of your parrot and keeping it healthy mentally and physically.
Owning birds is not the same as owning dogs- those who work with their bird and manage to have the bird become accepting of the things you want it to do will have a much nicer time and stronger relationship with their bird than those who are abrupt and forceful or demanding of the bird. Forcing or scaring a bird into doing things is the worst way to train them and will cause some behavior problems that can be very damaging in many ways.
Make sure you read and really understand the advice given by Macawnutz and Hankmacaw and even some of the other long term macaw owners..... they know an awful lot!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What a very lucky girl Tanga is - two parents who love her dearly. Some have no one.

The only one of your questions that I can answer with authority - is please don't potty train her. They can be potty trained, but too many times it ends up in a real disaster. One thing can happen and often does, is that they hold the poop so long that the bacteria grow and they get an infection. The other is far more serious. When they do go poop the feces are hard to get out and they strain, or when you ask them to go poop they don't have any and they strain. These may result in a prolapsed cloaca - that is very bad. Just learn to live with the poops.

She's a charmer.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Hi Nouf, and welcome to AA, it's about time we met 'mommy'! :)

Tell hubby no discipline! Hugs, encouragement, bribery, patience works best for birds.
They are wild animals, not domesticated like our dogs.
Like a tiger, a whip works to get them jumping through a fiery hoop, then the tiger hates and eats the man.
Treats and respect makes a good tiger, like it makes a good macaw. ;)

The harness should not be forced onto your baby.
It takes a long time, but use rewards to get her to accept it's a good thing and not something to fear and hate.

Watch macawnutz's video of her teaching her bird the harness. The video is a few pages back in this thread. Sarah (macawnutz) is a professional bird trainer, and uses treats and patience to show the bird what she wants. They do it because she makes it fun.

We all love Tangawizi, and have so enjoyed watching her grow up. We all feel like proud grandparents. :D

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would like to get your advice on the below please:
1- can we potty train her? If it’s advisable please tell us how.
2- we current give around 90cc formule divided twice a day and 15grams pallets (only eats half or third of it) and vegetables she plays with most of it, so how much of each should we give her?
3-anyone has a cookbook for parrots where it states the portions and grams for each meal I’m serious..
4-she hates hates hates hates her harness and she bites me a lot when putting it on and off, however she more obedient with my husband who is quicker and firmer than I am, is there a way to fix this and make her less frightened from it.
Hi Mom! I had a feeling we would meet you someday... I love listening to your excitement in the videos we have been shown. :laugh:

Here is your good/bad news...

1. No, she can not be potty trained for reasons mentioned above. BUT... she is young and young macaws poop a lot more than older macaws. Once she is eating solid food she won't be pooping all over as she does. She will find her acceptable poop spots and you when learn when she has to poop. My guys wouldn't dare poop on me. If they have to go potty they fly off to a tree to go and come back. They learned that because I can tell when they have to and I would send them off me to do their business. You will learn her poop face/stance when she gets a little older.
2. She can have as much as she wants of whatever she will eat. This is how it will pretty much stay for the first few years. She will drop the formula someday, you will attempt to push healthy as much as possible and I leave pellets available 24 hours a day. I really don't care how much they eat of pellets. My only portions are limiting nuts.
3. We have a whole forum including fun recipes. As far as portions you are not really going to weigh anything. You hand her a piece of apple, you don't hand her the whole apple. I feed 3 nuts per day ( walnut almond hazelnut brazil nuts ) I also give pine nuts as treats during the day for teaching things. I do a meal of fresh veggies, a meal of bread or pasta, and a fruit treat everyday.
4. As Becky says, watch my video. This will be easier once she is treat motivated. I'm not quite sure she is there yet, is she?

If she bites you you missed the warning. She should not bite you and if she does remove your attention for a few minutes. Her threatening to bite is her telling you "no". If you continue to disrespect her wishes you are forcing her to bite. Bites are not bad when they are babies... Learn to give her choices so she doesn't need to bite or threaten biting.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Welcome to the avenue!
Firm, obedience, discipline, potty training........ not really good or appropriate words or behaviors for getting the best out of your parrot and keeping it healthy mentally and physically.
Owning birds is not the same as owning dogs- those who work with their bird and manage to have the bird become accepting of the things you want it to do will have a much nicer time and stronger relationship with their bird than those who are abrupt and forceful or demanding of the bird. Forcing or scaring a bird into doing things is the worst way to train them and will cause some behavior problems that can be very damaging in many ways.
Make sure you read and really understand the advice given by Macawnutz and Hankmacaw and even some of the other long term macaw owners..... they know an awful lot!
We have been following every single advice given, thank you for your response

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
What a very lucky girl Tanga is - two parents who love her dearly. Some have no one.

The only one of your questions that I can answer with authority - is please don't potty train her. They can be potty trained, but too many times it ends up in a real disaster. One thing can happen and often does, is that they hold the poop so long that the bacteria grow and they get an infection. The other is far more serious. When they do go poop the feces are hard to get out and they strain, or when you ask them to go poop they don't have any and they strain. These may result in a prolapsed cloaca - that is very bad. Just learn to live with the poops.

She's a charmer.
Thank you so much for the info, we surely wouldn’t want anything to harm our baby, so let the pooping party begins lol I swear she’s worth the wiping cleaning and everyday house/clothes washing lol

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hi Nouf, and welcome to AA, it's about time we met 'mommy'! :)

Tell hubby no discipline! Hugs, encouragement, bribery, patience works best for birds.
They are wild animals, not domesticated like our dogs.
Like a tiger, a whip works to get them jumping through a fiery hoop, then the tiger hates and eats the man.
Treats and respect makes a good tiger, like it makes a good macaw. ;)

The harness should not be forced onto your baby.
It takes a long time, but use rewards to get her to accept it's a good thing and not something to fear and hate.

Watch macawnutz's video of her teaching her bird the harness. The video is a few pages back in this thread. Sarah (macawnutz) is a professional bird trainer, and uses treats and patience to show the bird what she wants. They do it because she makes it fun.

We all love Tangawizi, and have so enjoyed watching her grow up. We all feel like proud grandparents. :D
Awww Tangawizi is so lucky to have such grandparents

thank you for the information it’s very helpful! And we will take it to heart.

Honestly we are learning by the day and we are welling to even learn more.
she affected our lives and personalities to the better