• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Your job is to offer everything. You can't really control what she eats right now.
Sarah I wanna cry, we can't control anything, she is messy, she want to always stay on the top of the head, top of the cage and every time I put her in the perch she flies in one direction no aim no landing literally I have to throw my hand everywhere to make sure she doest hit anything, else she will hit everything, she poops a lot and she regurgitates a lot cuz of flying. did u face all of these issues with your birb? she is stubborn :crycry::crycry::crycry:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sarah I wanna cry, we can't control anything, she is messy, she want to always stay on the top of the head, top of the cage and every time I put her in the perch she flies in one direction no aim no landing literally I have to throw my hand everywhere to make sure she doest hit anything, else she will hit everything, she poops a lot and she regurgitates a lot cuz of flying. did u face all of these issues with your birb? she is stubborn :crycry::crycry::crycry:
:laugh: Welcome to our world!

You are now an honorary member of the flying baby macaw club.
It does get better....it just takes a year, or 2.

linkous101

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Coleman
Hello everyone,

Today my wife and I got a blue and gold from a breeder with the Scissor Beak condition, and this is our first time we take care of a Macaw bird so I have few questions if you don't mind answering.
1. Is Scissor Beak a problem for wood chewing or nutshell breaking? how can we cure it?
2. Is it normal that my first eats 5 times a day its weight around 650 grams the thins is each time the parrot won't eat more than 60-75 cc then it refuses to eat. and should i play with the baby or take it to bed
3. When can i start giving the parrot veggies and fruits?
4. When can i start showering the parrot?
5. Is it okay that she doesn't walk more than 3 steps every 30 min almost she doesn't move at all when i take her out of the avairy?
6. When can i start trimming the nails and the Beak?
7. The best age to start training? can i potty train them?
8. When i left her to sleep today she tried to scream, is that okay?
9. How can i play or hug with her at this age?
10. Can she sleeps in the living room while people are talking and tv is on?

Thanks in advance for your time!
View attachment 337982

View attachment 337981
What a cutie!:heart:

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Do you understand now why I much prefer mature macaws? LOLOLOLOL

I proud of you though.
Now I do understand why u do, but the regurgitating is concerning me I don’t know how much to feed and when to feed anymore, she is not hungry but she does it a lot, clumsy moody little baby, I the morning she doesn’t want to leave the cage, few hours later she wants to come out I don’t know what she want other than driving me crazy

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Breath. In and Out.

She will learn to control her flights. If possible give her less area so she is not gaining to much speed. Short little flights will be more controllable for her although we are aware you have little control.
Getting her to eat smaller amounts of thicker foods will help her to keep things down. I'm sure she is hyper wild and shaking up what little food she has in her. You and your wife just need to breath. :)

Stay calm and talk easy around her. Drama feeds on drama with macaws. If you get excited she gets excited and that will fuel her crazy. :laugh: You have no kids huh? :p

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Breath. In and Out.

She will learn to control her flights. If possible give her less area so she is not gaining to much speed. Short little flights will be more controllable for her although we are aware you have little control.
Getting her to eat smaller amounts of thicker foods will help her to keep things down. I'm sure she is hyper wild and shaking up what little food she has in her. You and your wife just need to breath. :)

Stay calm and talk easy around her. Drama feeds on drama with macaws. If you get excited she gets excited and that will fuel her crazy. :laugh: You have no kids huh? :p
Ur totally right she keeps shaking up food in her, she is not interested in eating solid food even though it’s available from 9 to 21:00 all kind of foods! She don’t like to play with her wooden toys at all she just wants hugging and chilling and flying for a while.
And yes we don’t have kids yet!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It is a good idea to also let her have some time on her own during her waking hours so she learns how to entertain herself and is confident and comfortable with it. I used to make sure Burt got a bit of time each day where he was totally alone and in these times is when he seemed to explore lots of his toys and perches and food dishes and trying new things like hanging upside down. The more I was around him and focused on him the more he looked to me to entertain him and feed him- when left to his own devices he would explore so much. I got to the point where I could sit in the same room as him doing my own thing and ignore him and he would explore instead of looking to me for his food or entertainment.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
It is a good idea to also let her have some time on her own during her waking hours so she learns how to entertain herself and is confident and comfortable with it. I used to make sure Burt got a bit of time each day where he was totally alone and in these times is when he seemed to explore lots of his toys and perches and food dishes and trying new things like hanging upside down. The more I was around him and focused on him the more he looked to me to entertain him and feed him- when left to his own devices he would explore so much. I got to the point where I could sit in the same room as him doing my own thing and ignore him and he would explore instead of looking to me for his food or entertainment.
We do that as well, and we monitor her through a cam, when she is alone does nothing but fixing her feathers but she doesn’t eat or drink or play

5E7C340A-4E5F-4EA0-874B-6810DED2152D.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That is good that you give her some alone time, it will help you when she gets a bit older.

Can I just ask if that is a gold bell I see on the bottom of one of her toys? If so do you happen to know what it is made from?

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
That is good that you give her some alone time, it will help you when she gets a bit older.

Can I just ask if that is a gold bell I see on the bottom of one of her toys? If so do you happen to know what it is made from?
Yes it is and it’s made of metal

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
@Macawnutz , today she bit me for the first time and I got really upset it hurt! The thing is I just didn’t want her to fly in my shoulder I was taking her down and she did it! I had to touch her beak and express that I was angry at her, 2 mins later she came to me and slept in my lap. I just don’t want to scream on her again but it hurt badly

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yah, they really don't know their strength at that age. Just tell her in a scoldy voice "gentle" and set her down. Scoldy meaning upset but not yelling. The first gentle can be very scoldy but then I enforce it by saying it as sweet as I can and touching them softly. Yelling won't help you. Drama feeds drama. If you get mad... she will get excited and it will lead to more overactive behavior.

You are going to move her off your shoulder 1000 times, you are going to say gentle 1000 times. It will come to a point that you feel you can't handle it anymore, I remember thinking that banging my head against the wall would accomplish more. Just put your big boy undies on and suck it up. :D It will get better, than worse... then better again. I mean.. what's the problem? You wanted her to fly to you right? :rofl: Some things just do not need to be taught. ;)

This is a crazy age. They are everywhere and into everything. It will get better before it gets worse again. Right now you are working on good flying and eating. Once she starts to like to destroy toys it gets easier again. You need more toys and perches in that cage. Maybe even a small setup of things to do on top of the cage. They like to be up high so she won't stay on a play tree if it's too low to the ground.
Just hang in there. :laugh:

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Yah, they really don't know their strength at that age. Just tell her in a scoldy voice "gentle" and set her down. Scoldy meaning upset but not yelling. The first gentle can be very scoldy but then I enforce it by saying it as sweet as I can and touching them softly. Yelling won't help you. Drama feeds drama. If you get mad... she will get excited and it will lead to more overactive behavior.

You are going to move her off your shoulder 1000 times, you are going to say gentle 1000 times. It will come to a point that you feel you can't handle it anymore, I remember thinking that banging my head against the wall would accomplish more. Just put your big boy undies on and suck it up. :D It will get better, than worse... then better again. I mean.. what's the problem? You wanted her to fly to you right? :rofl: Some things just do not need to be taught. ;)

This is a crazy age. They are everywhere and into everything. It will get better before it gets worse again. Right now you are working on good flying and eating. Once she starts to like to destroy toys it gets easier again. You need more toys and perches in that cage. Maybe even a small setup of things to do on top of the cage. They like to be up high so she won't stay on a play tree if it's too low to the ground.
Just hang in there. :laugh:
Ur fingers type gold words, I ordered a lot of things. To her I’m just waiting till they arrive. I’ll add some photos and videos for my baby girl she is messy I have to clean everything and everywhere potty and regurgitating

898C16F9-0345-421C-93C4-D5697DE6FFB9.jpeg
favorite spot
F3113928-CEBD-436E-8632-7E9487CFFF71.jpeg

us being silly
First time trying new things

F3113928-CEBD-436E-8632-7E9487CFFF71.jpeg Till now her flying is not controlled yet by her or us but we are working on it and I still need to see ur feeding schedule please 105 days

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Awe....so adorable.
Sarah? Doesn't this make you want another? :D

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
@Macawnutz is it normal till now our parrot doesn’t come to feed even if she is hungry? It it normal she doesn’t like cuddling like before? Is it normal she doesn’t like beak massaging or trimming ?

9F75A2D8-1A7F-4556-BAAA-9712C0F4997A.jpeg

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
@Macawnutz check it, I don’t know when I can start positive reinforcements cuz she doesn’t listen at all!!!!