• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Yes, the chipping is normal.

Give me a clear picture of her lower beak please. Straight on up close like that if you can.
Is this clear enough?
B1D5365C-D014-42F5-9C47-5904F8A385DB.jpeg
F4D452A1-AD65-4935-AB6A-640D5349180C.jpeg
35182FD1-BFAC-4F02-A625-34C6AC548F2E.jpeg
9E2A4C1D-0CFD-4BC8-A85C-FA015CA9DA85.jpeg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes. I would practice taking a file to that lower beak. Not all at once but maybe once a day for a few seconds. Her left side is going to be the issue. The goal would be to remove this.

Untitled.png

Again, this can be over a period of weeks but you should probably make this be a routine for her.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Yes. I would practice taking a file to that lower beak. Not all at once but maybe once a day for a few seconds. Her left side is going to be the issue. The goal would be to remove this.

View attachment 341860

Again, this can be over a period of weeks but you should probably make this be a routine for her.
Okay I’ll try that tonight

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
So we tried a bit to file her beak, she didn’t resist and it went fine I’ll keep doing it and I’ll update you guys, in the mean time this is how she likes to spend 15 mins of her day

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
awwww.

Yes keep doing the filing and when you get about a week or two in give me another video of that beak. While everything in me says I should believe my friend that there is nothing to be done but maintenance. I don't have it in me to not be hopeful. :laugh:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She's a cutie pie.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
So now a days 2 things he try to do first biting everything contains wood other than his toys :excited2:
8F29D86D-15A2-4110-9CDA-1F35BEEB087E.jpeg
Second trying to fly like that and jumping from my hand to floor from a very low altitude

is there anything we can do to help him to fly? He keeps hitting the walls with each try, he is not interested in solid food or water

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Awwww she’s beautiful :heart:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What a cutie!!! No, let her do what she is doing. She will fly when she is ready. Get things macaw proofed and cover the windows with some drapes. She will fly in days!

So, did we change sex mid thread? Are we saying she or he now?

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
What a cutie!!! No, let her do what she is doing. She will fly when she is ready. Get things macaw proofed and cover the windows with some drapes. She will fly in days!

So, did we change sex mid thread? Are we saying she or he now?
Will my baby hit windows
Well the breeder took a look at her and said probably it’s a he I asked how did u know? He said head size and the lines under the eyes , but he will be certain once we do the dna test later.
so now regarding the weaning process, is there anything I should do these days? We keep a plate of fresh veg near her and water she shows zero interest in water but she touch the food without eating just biting and spiting she as well like nuts I guess, I gave her almonds and pecan and she likes them but Without swallowing them just crushing.
So please tell me what to do now

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
one more thing I notice she stopped sleeping lying on chest, is that normal? Will she sleep on her chest in futureor not anymore?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt used to sleep laying down when he was a baby but as his muscles in his feet and legs strengthened and his balance got better he started using a perch to sleep like all big birds do.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well she is probably not ready to sleep on a perch but not willing to lay down either. You are in between. Once Korbel became mobile he never went back. Never gets on the floor he likes to be up high and with us all the time.

Just keep offering food. Both handfed and solids. Have you picked a pellet food for her?

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Well she is probably not ready to sleep on a perch but not willing to lay down either. You are in between. Once Korbel became mobile he never went back. Never gets on the floor he likes to be up high and with us all the time.

Just keep offering food. Both handfed and solids. Have you picked a pellet food for her?
well I had Harrison in my mind

should I start training her now? positive reinforcement? should I let her try more nuts ? i found out today she loves dried pineapple!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
wanted to tell you your baby is so beautiful!!
I’m curious as well about whether you should start training anything at that age? My baby isn’t home yet but I am wondering at what age do you start training things other than step up. Or is there even a certain age? Maybe you can start as soon as the baby will take a treat? (Assuming he is food motivated)

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Make sure that any dried fruits you use are unsulfered.
Sure
wanted to tell you your baby is so beautiful!!
I’m curious as well about whether you should start training anything at that age? My baby isn’t home yet but I am wondering at what age do you start training things other than step up. Or is there even a certain age? Maybe you can start as soon as the baby will take a treat? (Assuming he is food motivated)
Honestly she start taking treats but just crushing them not eating them, till now she can’t stand on her perch for a long time, altitude scares her till now unless it’s my hand then she doesn’t mind, but I put her on perch for 10 mins and now she walks slowly on it but no wing flapping. I’m asking so I want to learn and know and that’s it :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You should have the pellets available to her. I used to soak the pellets in water to get them smushy.

What are trying to teach? She is learning everyday.