• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Every baby is different just like every bird is different. She is allowed to dream, calm down. :)
She is really so different, I called the breeder and asked him when she was there, did she show interest in food. And I said to him and I quote:( I won’t return I just want to know her behavior) his reply was : she is different than other birds, feeding time was a time where all come to me and wants to eat, she didn’t move at all she waits till I feed her. And that makes me wander how will I teach her flight recall or coming when I call her name of food doesn’t interest her. U have a solution for that

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Listen to me.... You are not to an age where you are teaching anything like that right now. You are teaching her that you are her comfort and care. You are bonding and that is all you need to teach.

If this bird loves and trusts you the rest will be easy. Your job is unconditional love, care and food. You have a lifetime with her. When it is time to start teaching more I will tell you but not yet.
She is too good to run for food. You must just supply it where she sits. Nothing wrong with being a little diva. :laugh:

Do not fall apart on me... do not fall apart on her. Do not keep looking and expecting things to be wrong with her. She is a baby and needs your love.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Listen to me.... You are not to an age where you are teaching anything like that right now. You are teaching her that you are her comfort and care. You are bonding and that is all you need to teach.

If this bird loves and trusts you the rest will be easy. Your job is unconditional love, care and food. You have a lifetime with her. When it is time to start teaching more I will tell you but not yet.
She is too good to run for food. You must just supply it where she sits. Nothing wrong with being a little diva. :laugh:

Do not fall apart on me... do not fall apart on her. Do not keep looking and expecting things to be wrong with her. She is a baby and needs your love.
Oh I totally agree with u but since I’m an engineer I always think 2 step ahead all what I’m doing now is giving her everything she needs, hugs and a lot of kisses massaging and care, All what I do now is every time I feed her I say her name and that’s it but I don’t expect anything from her at all, I’m just sharing my concerns with you guys other than that she is having a great time, lots of toys, lots of love and lots of great quality time, where ever we go we take her.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
By any chance was she tube fed by the breeder? I've had amazons go through a very frustrating phase of not having much of a feeding response. We got through it with multiple smaller meals. All of their issues disappeared a few weeks after they learned to fly. The only time I've heard of a macaw with a poor feeding response was when the breeder tube fed. The way I handled lack of a feeding response is I did a bunch of google searching to figure out the average age that amazons hit their peak weight. Which seemed to be about 45 or so days old for my species. I did multiple smaller meals to make sure they got what I estimated was a decent amount of food. The equivalent of 3 or 4 feedings of about 10% of their body weight. If it took me 4 feedings to get 110-150cc into them for the day, then so be it. And I assumed if it was a struggle to get them to eat the lower end, then they were probably just fat because I was such a good mom. Whatever I could get into them. After I was confident they had grown as much as they were supposed to grow, I dropped it down to offering food 3-4 times a day but not pushing it. If they didn't seem interested, I'd be happy with 10cc so I know their blood sugar wouldn't crash. Its typical for them to loose weight during that time anyway, so I just made sure they got enough food to support themselves, even if they did loose weight. During this time, I did have food always available in their tub though. If they didn't want formula, then they could practice pulverizing some pellets into dust or smearing sweet potato all over the place.

After a couple weeks of loosing weight, they started flying. Still not really wanting food because flying is OMG so exciting for babies. But, within about a week or two of flying they hit a phase where suddenly, they are starving hungry and will slug down formula with a very strong feeding response. They might not do that at every feeding, but I could usually count on a decent feeding response for at least 20-30cc for a 500g amazon in the morning and then usually a quick partial feed in the afternoon and by bedtime, they'd take 40-60cc which I consider a normal feeding for a bird their size. You would probably double my numbers for a blue and gold sized bird. Don't try to get the baby to come to you for hand feeding. That will work itself out. There will come a day soon where you can't get away from that bird. It will fly back and forth across your house and land on you. If its feeding time and they see you with formula, they will come to you. You'll know it when you see it. If you aren't seeing that behavior, its because your bird is just a baby. Trust me, from parrotlet, to amazon to handling a regressed macaw, the bird will eventually fly to you. Its up to you to keep that behavior as the bird matures. Honestly, they become a pain in the butt about waning to hang off their human. A 1000g blue and gold may very well get down to 850g before it suddenly wants to eat well. Don't let her weight crash, but she may loose a surprising amount. And this is normal and good. Trying to stop it from happening will only make weaning way harder. She should at this point have some adult food in front of her most of the time. Offer cooked or fresh food a couple times a day. All other times, pellets to crush. She will waste like 99.9% of it right now and for the next several weeks. But she needs to learn about food and that swallowing grown up food makes hungry feelings go away. You can't really teach her that. Just provide her with continuous opportunities to learn herself. If she isn't interested in hand-feeding, give her a partial feed, but her back in her cage with some warm veggie mash and walk away from her. MANY babies will eat some on their own after getting a small hand feeding. Don't expect your baby to start doing that for a while, but make sure the opportunity is there for it to happen every day.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When visiting my baby all the baby birds were so very different- one in particular was so obviously different that I don’t think I’ll ever forget her. She didn’t run for food or beg like the other babies, she actually threw herself onto her back and lashed out aggressively with her feet every time she saw people approaching, including the breeder. The breeder said he had never seen or heard of her sort of behaviours before and assumed she was brain damaged or something similar and he was committed to giving her the best life he could as he believed she would not be safe or fit to sell, he was building her a flight aviary to live in. When I mentioned her much later on and asked how she was doing he told me which bird she was from the day I picked Burt up. I didn’t realise but she had changed so much and she was actually the bird that I said I would have liked to take home with Burt. She had gone from a seriously crazy half feathered baby to very sweet calm fledgling.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
By any chance was she tube fed by the breeder? I've had amazons go through a very frustrating phase of not having much of a feeding response. We got through it with multiple smaller meals. All of their issues disappeared a few weeks after they learned to fly. The only time I've heard of a macaw with a poor feeding response was when the breeder tube fed. The way I handled lack of a feeding response is I did a bunch of google searching to figure out the average age that amazons hit their peak weight. Which seemed to be about 45 or so days old for my species. I did multiple smaller meals to make sure they got what I estimated was a decent amount of food. The equivalent of 3 or 4 feedings of about 10% of their body weight. If it took me 4 feedings to get 110-150cc into them for the day, then so be it. And I assumed if it was a struggle to get them to eat the lower end, then they were probably just fat because I was such a good mom. Whatever I could get into them. After I was confident they had grown as much as they were supposed to grow, I dropped it down to offering food 3-4 times a day but not pushing it. If they didn't seem interested, I'd be happy with 10cc so I know their blood sugar wouldn't crash. Its typical for them to loose weight during that time anyway, so I just made sure they got enough food to support themselves, even if they did loose weight. During this time, I did have food always available in their tub though. If they didn't want formula, then they could practice pulverizing some pellets into dust or smearing sweet potato all over the place.

After a couple weeks of loosing weight, they started flying. Still not really wanting food because flying is OMG so exciting for babies. But, within about a week or two of flying they hit a phase where suddenly, they are starving hungry and will slug down formula with a very strong feeding response. They might not do that at every feeding, but I could usually count on a decent feeding response for at least 20-30cc for a 500g amazon in the morning and then usually a quick partial feed in the afternoon and by bedtime, they'd take 40-60cc which I consider a normal feeding for a bird their size. You would probably double my numbers for a blue and gold sized bird. Don't try to get the baby to come to you for hand feeding. That will work itself out. There will come a day soon where you can't get away from that bird. It will fly back and forth across your house and land on you. If its feeding time and they see you with formula, they will come to you. You'll know it when you see it. If you aren't seeing that behavior, its because your bird is just a baby. Trust me, from parrotlet, to amazon to handling a regressed macaw, the bird will eventually fly to you. Its up to you to keep that behavior as the bird matures. Honestly, they become a pain in the butt about waning to hang off their human. A 1000g blue and gold may very well get down to 850g before it suddenly wants to eat well. Don't let her weight crash, but she may loose a surprising amount. And this is normal and good. Trying to stop it from happening will only make weaning way harder. She should at this point have some adult food in front of her most of the time. Offer cooked or fresh food a couple times a day. All other times, pellets to crush. She will waste like 99.9% of it right now and for the next several weeks. But she needs to learn about food and that swallowing grown up food makes hungry feelings go away. You can't really teach her that. Just provide her with continuous opportunities to learn herself. If she isn't interested in hand-feeding, give her a partial feed, but her back in her cage with some warm veggie mash and walk away from her. MANY babies will eat some on their own after getting a small hand feeding. Don't expect your baby to start doing that for a while, but make sure the opportunity is there for it to happen every day.
Yes the breeder used to insert a tube to the crop, i feed her 60-65 cc every 8 hours, if she is excited and have the energy to climb the edge of the box she will show interest ever 4 mins or something and she eats from 5-10 cc then we wait till she gets it inside, she is a cutie we stopped giving her hard food and will stick to the formula till she is exactly 3 months old (15/6) the reason for that we want to make sure she gets all the nutrients she needs, plus I bought 10 kg of baby food, we are not in a hurry at all as I wrote to @Macawnutz its just that I like to think 2 steps ahead and to make sure that nothing is wrong with her! We love her to a point that if she sneeze my wife will cry that something is wrong and she will panic and stay next to her for next couple of hours. Today she starts screaming and asking for hugs! Noisy wants to climb anything she can her beak is everywhere :) I really would like to thank all of you for the time to write and explain to us, such a relief!

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
When visiting my baby all the baby birds were so very different- one in particular was so obviously different that I don’t think I’ll ever forget her. She didn’t run for food or beg like the other babies, she actually threw herself onto her back and lashed out aggressively with her feet every time she saw people approaching, including the breeder. The breeder said he had never seen or heard of her sort of behaviours before and assumed she was brain damaged or something similar and he was committed to giving her the best life he could as he believed she would not be safe or fit to sell, he was building her a flight aviary to live in. When I mentioned her much later on and asked how she was doing he told me which bird she was from the day I picked Burt up. I didn’t realise but she had changed so much and she was actually the bird that I said I would have liked to take home with Burt. She had gone from a seriously crazy half feathered baby to very sweet calm fledgling.
I won’t trade what we have for a million$ she is part of our family we accept her the way she is and will give her everything we can

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Oh I totally agree with u but since I’m an engineer I always think 2 step ahead
Oh goodnes @weko , my brother (whom I loved like life itself) was an aeronautical engineer, drove me nuts. He was picky, picky, picky and very precise and demanding. Now we know about you we can make allowances.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Oh goodnes @weko , my brother (whom I loved like life itself) was an aeronautical engineer, drove me nuts. He was picky, picky, picky and very precise and demanding. Now we know about you we can make allowances.
I totally can understand your brother and why he is picky, it’s that he is looking for perfection for things or what ever is closest to it

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
@Macawnutz i am attaching a clip for you so you can see what i mean when i say she doest bob at all, with the scissor beak i think its a bit difficult for her.
Btw for the last 5 days she gains 5 grams and looses them the second day she is between 1053-1061

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Hello everyone,
my baby girl nails became very sharp when can I file them?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Start now. Get her used to it. Very slowly, very gently.
Do not force anything. Make it pleasant and relaxing. Stop is she's scared, or gets antsy.
Use a woman's gentle nail filer to start, you don't want anything too harsh.
Just gently file the tip. A few strokes, praise and kisses, or what ever makes her happy.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Great she is accepting the nail filer.
But I notice from yesterday these sounds and this movement of head is it normal or I need to be concerned?
It’s done at least few times everyday

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Great she is accepting the nail filer.
But I notice from yesterday these sounds and this movement of head is it normal or I need to be concerned?
It’s done at least few times everyday

It looks to me like she's trying to reguritate?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh my, she’s such a treasure :heart:

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
That's regurgutating. She is fine. :laugh:

Going to be a spunky little one. :rofl:
I think if I suddenly disappeared then she gave me a heart attack, she does these sounds like she is trying to talk and then moves the head then try to sleep then sleep talking then active and one day she will kill me !

btw @Macawnutz her weight for the last few days ranging from 1056 to 1064 is that normal as well ?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I think if I suddenly disappeared then she gave me a heart attack, she does these sounds like she is trying to talk and then moves the head then try to sleep then sleep talking then active and one day she will kill me !

btw @Macawnutz her weight for the last few days ranging from 1056 to 1064 is that normal as well ?
Her weight is going to start changing. This week, next week, two weeks... I would consider all of it normal. She is going to do what she wants to do and your job is to watch it and continue care.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
hello everyone,

we are at a stage where she loved to walk and ignore everyone, she loves to go under the television table and runs out of her box, she loves biting wires i keep telling her no but she doesn't listen and keeps going there so i hide them under a towel, yet she doesn't come for food or if someone calls her, she doesn't follow me or my wife at all. is that normal?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Seems pretty normal to me :) She is happy checking out what she is interested in right now just like a healthy happy baby and busy playing, she probably feels entertained, safe and content so she has no need to follow you- she trusts you will be there if she needs you.