• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1 or 2 Green Cheek Conures!?

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
Hi I am planning on getting a green cheek conure (or two). I need some info on keeping two conures together. I will probably get two young green cheek conures that are the same gender and from the same batch. I will also house them in a very large $350 cage and they will have adequate space. The questions I have are

- Will they bond with each other more than me, to the point they stop interacting with me (even if i give them individual attention)

- Are there issues even with birds that are siblings in the same cage (my friends who have them from the same siblings said they never did)

- If they are opposite gender, and they mature, will they breed and return to their wild instincts

If these issues are a thing, should I just get one GCC ?(I cant have another cage my parents will not allow them as they say it is an eyesore :( )

Should I just stick to one conure? or is getting two worth the hassle?¿ :)

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Welcome to the forum... all of your answers hinge on a few aspects such as:

Can you financially support one or two conures?

Do you have any previous experience with conures?

Are there any other pets in your house?

Are you prepared for the mess and time needed to care for these highly active and noisy birds?

Let us know! :)

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
Welcome to the forum... all of your answers hinge on a few aspects such as:

Can you financially support one or two conures?

Do you have any previous experience with conures?

Are there any other pets in your house?

Are you prepared for the mess and time needed to care for these highly active and noisy birds?

Let us know! :)
I had a conure before but sadly it passed away due to some very unlucky and almost unbelievable ways to die. Things like escaping their cage and sleeping with me at night, is just an example. So yes I did have conures before and I researched for over a year now and I know about hormones, behaviour, body language,etc

I have the money to get two conures and already have a large cage and toys, food and can pay for the time to time visit to the pet

I have two cats but they are very friendly and docile to the birds, never laid a hand on my previous conure

Yes I have babysitted my aunts ringneck and I know a thing or two about messy lol, also I have handled ringneck screaming so i think I will be fine with the much quiter and lower ptiched GCC screeches

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I would suggest only one conure to begin with and then try to introduce the second later if that is your desire! In that way the fid can bond to you and it might be easier to handle the second!

As always... its a mixed bag and nothing ever works out to expectations! But that shouldn't stop you if your heart is set on it!

The only reservation I can think of is your two cats! There have been countless cases of birds being either scratched, chased or killed by docile cats... Something to think about! Secondly your fids may not like the presence of felines near them and it can freak them out as well! Again.. all fids are different!

Good luck with your quest! :)

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
I would suggest only one conure to begin with and then try to introduce the second later if that is your desire! In that way the fid can bond to you and it might be easier to handle the second!

As always... its a mixed bag and nothing ever works out to expectations! But that shouldn't stop you if your heart is set on it!

The only reservation I can think of is your two cats! There have been countless cases of birds being either scratched, chased or killed by docile cats... Something to think about! Secondly your fids may not like the presence of felines near them and it can freak them out as well! Again.. all fids are different!

Good luck with your quest! :)
I get your point of getting one bird to start with and I see why. The problem that might arise is that: lets say i get a conure, keep it for like 6 months and form a good bond, then i get another one and try to house them together but my current bird dislikes the new one and maybe even gets jealous. Then I would have to put them in separate cages, I live in Canada so bird cages are a lot costlier, and the current cage i have is $400 and then getting another cage would I think be too much financially and for my mother, it would be an eyesore ;( (i can only keep 1 cage i have tried persuading my mother many times :sad6:) So not only would getting a second bird later on make it harder to introduce the two, it would also be almost impossible to convince my mom to have a second cage for the second conure. I know these are hard circumstances and this is why i am asking if i should keep one single bird or keep two birds in 1 cage :)

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I get your point of getting one bird to start with and I see why. The problem that might arise is that: lets say i get a conure, keep it for like 6 months and form a good bond, then i get another one and try to house them together but my current bird dislikes the new one and maybe even gets jealous. Then I would have to put them in separate cages, I live in Canada so bird cages are a lot costlier, and the current cage i have is $400 and then getting another cage would I think be too much financially and for my mother, it would be an eyesore ;( (i can only keep 1 cage i have tried persuading my mother many times :sad6:) So not only would getting a second bird later on make it harder to introduce the two, it would also be the almost impossible to convince my mom to have a second cage for the second conure. I know these are hard circumstances and this is why i am asking if i should keep one single bird or keep two birds in 1 cage :)
What you have to realize is that even if you get two at the beginning, they could bond and hate you... or hate each other and fight non stop!

Nothing is easy!

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
What you have to realize is that even if you get two at the beginning, they could bond and hate you... or hate each other and fight non stop!

Nothing is easy!
Yeah I know right! And its all because my mother will not allow another cage. Also hypothetically, if I did get another cage, I can't keep it anywhere, there is no space for a large cage inside the living room, near the dining room means fumes as the kitchen is close and keeping him in my room would close him away from any social interaction from my other family members and from bird to bird! Do you think near the stairs will be a good idea? we always walk around there and he wouldn't be hid away and would be somewhat close to a high traffic area. I usually keep my birds out of the cage and they only go back in when im not home or they need to go to sleep.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Sounds like a plan! :) So long as your felines cannot access them!