• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worried **Sad Update**

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes when a bird is ill the vet will prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Baytril because it can take 2 days or more to get culture and sensitivity results. Agree with @Macaw Lover that this should be done before antibiotics are administered.

Did you contact the place you bought Blue from? You should let them know she is ill. It is possible that other birds there may be exhibiting the same symptoms. Maybe they can contact the place they got her from.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Had a call from our vet about an hour ago, our little girl didn't make it through the night, I'm devastated she was bought as an early birthday present for my autistic son, it's on Saturday and I haven't been able to break the news to him yet, just wanted to thank you all again for your well wishes it means a lot.

Nami

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicola
I am so very sorry for your loss, they really can go downhill very quickly. You tried your best, but sometimes they just can't be saved :sadhug2:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry for your loss.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I'm so sorry to hear this.
You did your best to get her to a vet but the holidays complicated things.
You tried. :sadhug2:
Fly high little one

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Oh, I am so sorry - I was hoping against hope that she'd make it. Many :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2: to you and your family.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so very sorry that you lost your baby. May she fly high and free without illness or pain.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I am so sorry to hear this

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Had a call from our vet about an hour ago, our little girl didn't make it through the night, I'm devastated she was bought as an early birthday present for my autistic son, it's on Saturday and I haven't been able to break the news to him yet, just wanted to thank you all again for your well wishes it means a lot.
Make sure the pet shop knows too. If you hadn't had little blue that long there might be something they can do about her being ill and passing away. 7 day guarantee, maybe?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am very sorry.
:sorrow:

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone, I've contacted the shop were she was bought to let them know shr died, they offered a budgie as replacement which I thought was a little insulting, but I honestly wouldn't take anything they offered as I'd worry about another bird from there being sick too..... Didn't have the heart to tell my son she died so I told him she needs special care so its best she stay with the vet, I do have a question for anyone who can help.....We will at some point be getting another bird as although we only had her a short time the house seems too quiet and my son is eager to have a birdy friend, my question is.....Is it possible to clean our cage well enough for a new bird? I have no idea if blue was contagious but would obviously like to make sure everything is germ free before bringing a new baby home.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank you everyone, I've contacted the shop were she was bought to let them know shr died, they offered a budgie as replacement which I thought was a little insulting, but I honestly wouldn't take anything they offered as I'd worry about another bird from there being sick too..... Didn't have the heart to tell my son she died so I told him she needs special care so its best she stay with the vet, I do have a question for anyone who can help.....We will at some point be getting another bird as although we only had her a short time the house seems too quiet and my son is eager to have a birdy friend, my question is.....Is it possible to clean our cage well enough for a new bird? I have no idea if blue was contagious but would obviously like to make sure everything is germ free before bringing a new baby home.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been following this thread avidly to see that you little one got through okay. ;(

Get a hold of some f10 if you can. That stuff is excellent for disinfecting. You should be able to pick some up at the vet or maybe at a pet store.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can get it through Amazon in the UK. https://www.amazon.co.uk/F10-Disinfectant-100ml-concentrated-solution/dp/B005AIOBRU You shouldn't need more than a 100ml bottle - it goes a long way when diluted at the proper concentration.

I'm glad that you are planning on getting another bird - they really are addicting. The next time buy from a store/breeder who's reputation you have checked out beforehand. We have a couple of UK members on here and I'll try to get them to help you choose a source. @Danita

When you are ready to buy again come back to us and we will help you.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
I've already been looking around and found a fantastic exotic pet store, all their birds are hand tame and extremely well cared for, I know now that I should have done more research before buying blue but we fell for her the moment we saw her and wanted to bring her home, thank you for all the great advice and well wishes, im glad I found this site as you're all so kind.