• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worried **Sad Update**

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Hi, we've had are little girl blue for a week, today she seems very quiet and lethargic, she is eating and drinking but is just sleeping a lot and is fluffed up, we have been mad busy for a couple of days so she hasn't had any company and I've had the heating turned off today with all the cooking so she may be a bit cold, could this be the reason or is more likely she is unwell? I've turned the heating up now for her but I'm pretty worried and can't get her to a vet now today

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Keep a very close eye on her she may be ill. Keeping her warm right now is important and watching her poops for anything unusual. If she is still puffed and lethargic by Tues. morning (lethargic is the big symptom) get her to the vet ASAP.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
I've got the heating on full so she'll be warm, something is definitely wrong though because she can hardly keep her eyes open when I'm speaking to her, I'm so worried, is there anything I can do for her other than keep her warm?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Could it be that fumes from the cooking are affecting her? Or anything like candles or anything scented that may be bothering her? I'm just mentioning it because at this time of the year most people use items like that though I'm not trying to say you do.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
I've been keeping her upstairs in my son's room with the doors closed away from everything, I was planning on bringing her downstairs once Christmas was out the way, we don't use candles or anything but I'm not sure if the food fumes could have worked their way to her, would that make her Ill/lethargic? I have been very careful not to use cleaning products or anything in the room where she is at the moment

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I've been keeping her upstairs in my son's room with the doors closed away from everything, I was planning on bringing her downstairs once Christmas was out the way, we don't use candles or anything but I'm not sure if the food fumes could have worked their way to her, would that make her Ill/lethargic? I have been very careful not to use cleaning products or anything in the room where she is at the moment
It could be the baking or, possibly, if you cleaned the oven (self-cleaning) before Christmas. Sometimes it isn't just the stuff used in the room your little girl is in but if you're in the U.S. most heating/AC ducts are connected so that what you may be using away from your fid in completely different rooms may be getting through the vents in your son's room.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
We're in the UK so no vents but I can smell the food in the bedroom so it's possible that's the cause, is it likely she will be seriously unwell from this or might she be feeling better soon, she's fast asleep now but it's past her bedtime so I won't really know untill morning now how she is, she was sleepy this morning when I gave her breakfast which is unusual but I've been baking/cooking since yesterday

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Is there any possibility that you have Teflon (non-stick coatings) on your cookware or anywhere else? If you do and she has had exposure to it (being upstairs isn't enough) get her into a vet.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Is there any possibility that you have Teflon (non-stick coatings) on your cookware or anywhere else? If you do and she has had exposure to it (being upstairs isn't enough) get her into a vet.
All my pots and pans are ceramic, I've tried to find a vet but the only emergency vets in our area told me they don't really know a lot about birds, I'm going to try again first thing in the morning, I have kept the heat turned up and covered three sides of her cage to make sure she stays warm, I'll keep checking her through the night but unfortunately there isn't much I can do for her right now, I feel useless

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I think you should get her to a vet ASAP. Or at least out of the house. Maybe she had a pre-existing illness that she was hiding and it's gotten bad enough today that she is showing symptoms. But the only other thing (in my knowledge) that could have caused her to become so sick so quickly is some sort of fume. PTFE, carbon monoxide, natural gas, etc. If she is so lethargic she can't keep her eyes open she is in extremely bad shape.

Teflon Toxicity in Birds (plus other toxic fumes)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Make sure she either drinks or that you give her fluids by syringe or spoon. Keep her warm and keep her quiet. If she gets too bad you can give her a little Karo (white corn syrup) in her water - it will give her temporary energy.

Good luck with your baby.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for your replies, she's getting worse, she doesn't even care when I put my hand in the cage I'm going to keep trying for a vet but I have an awful feeling we're going to lose her

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:
Saying a little prayer...

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you all for your replies, she's getting worse, she doesn't even care when I put my hand in the cage I'm going to keep trying for a vet but I have an awful feeling we're going to lose her
Is there a chance you could bundle her up and take her outside for a couple of seconds to get fresh air even if it is a little chilly? It's the only thing I can think of as I'm grasping at straws. @Calpurnia It isn't that easy to find an avian ER in the U.S. that would be open today and Europe for the most part closes down completely over the holidays. Beckyr86 in in the U.K. which is not going to make it easy for her to find a vet since tomorrow (Boxing Day) is also a holiday unless I'm wrong. She's stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
She's not tame but I think getting hold of her would be easy right now, would it be worth me doing it for her to get some air? Yes you are right everywhere is shut down untill Tuesday, if she were a dog/cat I could have her at the vet now but I can't find one willing to see her tonight.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about Blue. What area do you live in? It is possible there could be an emergency vet opened and someone available who is knowledgeable about birds. Maybe there is someone here from the UK who could recommend a place. Even if the vet is not an expert but has some experience it would probably be beneficial to get her in to see someone. Do keep her warm but get her some air and see if you can also air out your house somehow. Is she eating or drinking anything? If you can get some pedialyte (if you have that in the UK) that might be helpful. Very small drops from left side of beak and aiming towards the right. Sending positive thoughts your way.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
She's not tame but I think getting hold of her would be easy right now, would it be worth me doing it for her to get some air? Yes you are right everywhere is shut down untill Tuesday, if she were a dog/cat I could have her at the vet now but I can't find one willing to see her tonight.
God bless you dear for trying, I'm not very religious at all but I'll definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I suspect that if you could get her to a vet they'd put her on oxygen right away but I'm hoping that a little fresh air might possibly help as long as she's well bundled and kept warm. I've family in E. Sussex and Scotland so I've visited and know that the British holidays and ER systems are completely different from those in the U.S.

Last edited:

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
I'm going to towel her now and sit with her by an open window, vets are saying she's classed an excotic pet so no one will treat her, she fast asleep now with her head tucked under her wing, thank you for all your kind thoughts I'm just praying she pulls through