• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worried **Sad Update**

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Finally got an appointment at the vet this morning which was lucky because blue was much worse, they have kept her in and are starting her on fluids/glucose and a broad spectrum antibiotic, the vet said he would hope to see improvement within a few hours but it's difficult to know with birds how they will react to treatment, I honestly don't think we will bring her home again but I can only hope and pray that she is strong enough to pull through........While we were waiting at the clinic she woke up for a few minutes and I was talking to her and she tilted her head back and opened her mouth as though expecting me to feed her like a mama bird, has anyone ever experienced this before?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
When either of my birds were very ill they loved to be handfed - they felt bad and it was comforting to them.
The only advice I can give you, is to never give up. Keep faith that she will pull through and get well. Keep trying.

I'm so glad that you got her to the vet.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
She has never been handled before coming to us so her wanting me to feed her really frightened me, the vet also said he would worm her, I think they are just going to try everything and hope for the best. I thought I would have heard something by now but I'm hopeful no news is good news.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How old was she supposed to be whenyou got her? Maybe she was younger than you were told and needed additional hand feedings. Very well could explain her rapid downward spiral.

What species of bird is she?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
thinking of you both and praying everything will go well.
:sadhug2:

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
She's a parrotlet, we've only had her a week and we were told she was from this year's clutch but weren't given an actual age, she had only been at the shop a week and before that she was in an aviery, the people in the shop didn't really know what they were talking about

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She very well could be an unweaned baby with that timeline. That's a question you could ask you vet.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
I've seen her eating though (not sure if that makes any difference) I will certainly ask my vet about it, thank you

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
WORM HER? WORM HER? That is not something an experienced avian vet would do. That is something you would see 40-50 years ago when vets had no clue how to treat a bird and the mind set was to treat for worms like you would do for dogs.

I should clarify that birds can on rare occasions get them, depending what part of the world you live in and the type of environment the bird lives in, but if you are here in the US and the baby has not been exposed to situations where worms would be, a vet who deals with birds is not going to treat for them without any evidence of them, especially one of the first things they try.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
I'm not in the US I'm in the UK, I have no idea if the vet is experienced with birds but they were literally the only ones willing to give me an emergency appointment for today, I've already been trying to get her seen for two days, they are also starting antibiotics and fluids, I'm just thankful she's finally recieving some treatment.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Becky lives in the UK.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Becky lives in the UK.
That is not some third world country so I would still be worried if someone wanted to treat for worms.

Besides, that still make it a practice of the stone age.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hoping that the treatment helps and that she will recover.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you.
I spoke to the nurse earlier, there wasn't much change either way but they were continuing with the meds and will call me in the morning so I will update you all when I have some news.
Maybe ask if they could hold off the "worming" until she's stable? Ask as a worried parront.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
They haven't wormed her yet anyway, they told me right now they're focusing on getting the antibiotics and glucose into her, the nurse said she's not very happy about them doing that and they don't want to stress her more than necessary.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Good, they're thinking alot more about her being stabilized which is very good to hear. I hope your little one will be better soon.

NB: I've never had a bird "wormed" as an FYI so I don't know how it works but I've understood that it can be somewhat brutal on their digestive system.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Glad they haven't done that yet but tell them you want proof that she has worms first before they treat for that. Are they just going to pump her with antibiotics BEFORE they know what is needing to be treated? That too is not a good practice.

One thing that you always want done before administering any antibiotic is a Culture & Sensitivity test which will tell exactly what medication should be used. If you dose with antibiotics blindly first, and things do not clear up then you are stuck because if you do that Culture & Sensitivity test later, you won't get a true reading of what the patient has bas the medication will affect it.

Yes, it will cost additionally to have it run but you are best to do it correctly the first time around and not have to wait at least another couple of weeks for the antibiotic to clear out of the system in order to get a true reading then.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Well everywhere is closed here untill tomorrow, our appointment was an emergency out of hours so they won't have been doing any testing today, I will find out more tomorrow about how they plan on treating her, I didn't speak much to the vet to be honest as blue was extremely unwell, the vet just gave me a quick plan and rushed her downstairs, as I've said on an earlier post though the vet she is with was the only one willing to treat a bird out of hours, if I hadn't took her there she would still be home with us and most likely would have passed away, if she hasn't improved much by tomorrow I can find a more experienced vet but for now she is at least recieving some much needed care.