• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Flew onto your arm!!! They do poop upon take off or soon after landing to lighten the load!

OOOh the poop of approval...You have been christened poopable!!!!

:rofl:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just love that Mango is feeling more and more comfortable with you! And I think she can see and hear your loving attempts to bond with her! It's just so sweet.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I''m catching up and just wanted to respond to this part. My nanday flock calls in the morning. He starts with a little peep and gets louder until i respond. I usually just give a quick, "hey, Bud" and then he is quiet the rest of the morning. They call to make sure everyone made it through the night, ya know, no snake attacks or anything.
Thanks for the input. Yes, I have been doing the same thing. Mango starts making small peeps at 7:00 sharp each morning, and gradually gets louder. I am finding that if I let her know I have not been eaten by a snake, she usually stops.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I just love that Mango is feeling more and more comfortable with you! And I think she can see and hear your loving attempts to bond with her! It's just so sweet.
Thank you! It's very rewarding!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Flew onto your arm!!! They do poop upon take off or soon after landing to lighten the load!

OOOh the poop of approval...You have been christened poopable!!!!

:rofl:
YES!!!!! "The poop of approval" I have never been so excited to have been pooped on. It's all official now!

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
Definately not a nanday conure. A pineapple is most likely. One of the problems with pet stores selling birds. They don't know what they are selling so how can they possibly advise a new owner of the proper care, etc.

I agree, most birds are fine with owners who work full time but you need to give the bird quality time when you are home. I always had other birds tho, to keep company. Needs plenty of toys and enrichment.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's possible that making the sound made her feel closer to you. The continued progress is wonderful to read about. How about posting some new photos when you get a chance and if she is OK with that.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
How about posting some new photos when you get a chance and if she is OK with that.
I will try, but she usually won't let me anywhere near her with my phone/camera in hand.

Just got home from work and all she will give me is her death dance!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I had a great time hanging out with Mango today!! She was so much fun. She was very active and displayed lots of clownish behavior. She is now very clearly interested in me. When I leave the room, she calls me. She loves to start "conversations" with me where we chat back and forth. She can get pretty worked up when we do this and make all kinds of interesting sounds.

She came out of her cage today and sat on top, watching me and taking Nutri-Berries from my hand. I tried to get her to step up, and she came very close but opted not to. When she wants to go back in the cage, she signals to me (dancing and noises) so I bring the ladder over to her and she hops up and allows me to then gently put her back in.

I am very, very concerned about her diet as I said previously because she absolutely refuses anything I offer her except safflower seeds and dried corn. I really need to try the suggestion in a post above with moistened pellets. There is no way she will be healthy with the current diet.

She still loves chewing on the rope of one of her toys (see attached video). Should I be concerned that she might be ingesting some of the fibers??

Thanks!

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried Birdie Breads or mashes? You can hide fruits and veggies in those. That being said, my birds don't like either of those but it's worth a try.
Nutri-berries are healthy and she is eating those. You can also try Avicakes. They are also produced by Lafeber.

How about putting some pellets in a bowl and you pretend to eat them? Maybe she will come over and check them out??

She looks very happy and comfortable in the video. Doesn't look like she is ingesting the fibers but I'm not a fan of cotton rope. Do you know if that is Superior cotton which is supposed to be safer? You may need to trim the rope. I prefer hemp, jute, sisal, poly rope or leather. I've had birds get caught in cotton rope so that's why I generally don't purchase toys with that rope although a few weeks ago Scully somehow got a strand of sisal twisted around his foot which surprised me since I've never had issues with sisal before.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Have you tried Birdie Breads or mashes? You can hide fruits and veggies in those. That being said, my birds don't like either of those but it's worth a try.
Nutri-berries are healthy and she is eating those. You can also try Avicakes. They are also produced by Lafeber.

How about putting some pellets in a bowl and you pretend to eat them? Maybe she will come over and check them out??

She looks very happy and comfortable in the video. Doesn't look like she is ingesting the fibers but I'm not a fan of cotton rope. Do you know if that is Superior cotton which is supposed to be safer? You may need to trim the rope. I prefer hemp, jute, sisal, poly rope or leather. I've had birds get caught in cotton rope so that's why I generally don't purchase toys with that rope although a few weeks ago Scully somehow got a strand of sisal twisted around his foot which surprised me since I've never had issues with sisal before.
No, I have not tried any of the breads or mashes. I am very hesitant to because I tried so many of them with Cosmo and she was just like Mango, refusing everything but seeds. I always ended up throwing everything away.

The problem with the Nutri-Berries is that she just picks out the safflower seeds and doesn't touch the rest. Yes, I have tried eating in front of her but she just looks at me like I have very poor taste. A few times today, I have noticed her taking seeds over to her water dish and wetting them down before eating them.

I guess I will need to try the following:

1. Moistened pellet/Nutri-Berry mix as described in a previous post
  2. Different type of pellets
  3. Birdie bread
  4. Avicakes
  5. Chop
But I am expecting to spend a lot of time and money with no results.

Yes, she is now very happy and comfortable!!! At the very least, she has finally figured out that I don't want to hurt her or eat her.

Amazingly, as I was typing this, she came out of her cage and ate a bit of apple that I had set on her ladder. She then looked around a little bit, took a poop, and went back in.

Last edited:

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Perhaps you should try feeding her one by hand, like a treat, and she might taste it and realize they taste nice and eat more?
IDK just a silly suggestion, but try it :)

Also, have you tried target training her? If she isn't scared of the chopstick, and takes treats from your hand, it would be a good way to bond with her, and possibly even ask her to step-up using the target :)

So happy to hear how much progress you've had with mango, you're doing really great!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Perhaps you should try feeding her one by hand, like a treat, and she might taste it and realize they taste nice and eat more?
IDK just a silly suggestion, but try it :)

Also, have you tried target training her? If she isn't scared of the chopstick, and takes treats from your hand, it would be a good way to bond with her, and possibly even ask her to step-up using the target :)

So happy to hear how much progress you've had with mango, you're doing really great!
Great suggestion and, yes, I have tried that. One time she took the pellet from my hand and then dropped it.

I would love to target train her. I tried to start once, but she was to afraid of the chop stick and me, so I postponed it until she was more comfortable.

I recently bought the Parrot Wizard's book on caring for and training parrots, so I will be reading his chapter on target training. I think that Mango might be getting comfortable enough now that it is reasonable to try again. But my top priority is her diet. A seed diet is VERY bad and stimulates the hormones. I think I need to address that ASAP.

Thank you so much for the encouragement!!!! Maybe this thread will also be an encouragement to someone else who starts out with a bird just like Mango some day. It is like a log describing the long process of befriending a terrified little bird.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so happy for you and Mango! Good luck with the diet. Gigi ate only Roudybush pellets for a few months. I offered everything we ate over and over. Then I started serving her Worldly Cuisine soft food and on day 22 she ate it and has been eating it ever since. I put it in between her pellets and her water. She dips so she had to pass by the soft food every time. Who knows what will work with Mango but you are making so much progress that I know this too will be solved with your love and hard work.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She's so pretty! It's amazing how different her life is! How much better!

pardalote

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
I would love to target train her. I tried to start once, but she was to afraid of the chop stick and me, so I postponed it until she was more comfortable.
I really like FlockTalk's target training videos - she's training a conure so might be relevant/helpful. I just like her calm, invitational, non-pushy approach with her birds. This one (but there are others that are nice to watch too. I watch them even though I don't have a birb...)

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I really like FlockTalk's target training videos - she's training a conure so might be relevant/helpful. I just like her calm, invitational, non-pushy approach with her birds. This one (but there are others that are nice to watch too. I watch them even though I don't have a birb...)

Great stuff! Thank you!!

I am going to make continued trust building with Mango, improving her diet, and target training my priorities for the foreseeable future.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
9:20 pm and Mango is under my bed and won't come out. I can see her at times (she moves around a lot) and when I talk to her she just does her death dance. Very strange behavior. Not sure what to make of it.

I am going to have to find some way to get her back into her cage...