• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Well, this color mutation in green cheeks does not happen in the wild, so at least the bird for sure came from a breeder and wasn’t caught in the wild :facepalm:. I found this article about banding online, seems to be of some sort of help:
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - The ABC's Of Leg Bands - Identifying Birds

It is certainly unusual that she wears two bands though...

I realized that I wasn’t clear with my story about that parents raised bird I had once. I meant to say that I happened to have a first hand experience with both parent raised and hand raised birds, and the difference is like night and day between the twoo_O

Are you planning to DNA sex her eventually?
I have both too and with enough trust building both can be amazing and sweet:)

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Well it is Petco so you would hope they are selling handfed pet birds not older ones someone turned in.
Actually, I bought her at a pet store called Pet Supplies Plus. The people at this particular store just don't seem very interested in the welfare of their birds.

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
She is sitting up there preening while I sit on my bed and talk to her. This is an amazing moment for me. She looks sooooo happy right now. And it great to know that she now knows how to climb around and on her cage.
This is so awesome! She's getting really comfortable, and the beak grinding and the chattering. Those are signs of one very happy birb. Yes, As the other person stated, it helps if you talk to them constantly, they are like little 3 year olds. EAch time i give my birb a treat, i let him know what it is. I say "vegetables," "popcorn," almond," apple." and they eventually will learn their favorite and ask for it. Like now, when I get home from work or on the weekends if we are just chilling if his veggies are empty or he wants new he'll say "vegetables." HAHA. IT's super cute. He also is constantly asking me "what are you doing?" when he wants attention, i think i asked him that too many times and it's now his favorite sentence. HAHA.

And yeah, they are VERY picky, or at least all the conures I've read about. A way to encourage them to eat new things is eat it in front of them and get excited about it, like "Yummm" "mmm," haha, as silly as that sounds, it gets them interested and they always want what we have XD. Silly birbs, and it's also a very good bonding method, sharing food, just like they do with one another in the wild.

I'm loving the updates! I think you and your new friend will soon have an unbreakable bond. Time and patience, is what it takes, and you certainly have plenty of both! :D

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Well, this color mutation in green cheeks does not happen in the wild, so at least the bird for sure came from a breeder and wasn’t caught in the wild :facepalm:. I found this article about banding online, seems to be of some sort of help:
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - The ABC's Of Leg Bands - Identifying Birds

It is certainly unusual that she wears two bands though...

I realized that I wasn’t clear with my story about that parents raised bird I had once. I meant to say that I happened to have a first hand experience with both parent raised and hand raised birds, and the difference is like night and day between the twoo_O

Are you planning to DNA sex her eventually?
Wow, that is a great resource for interpreting band data. Thanks! As soon as Mango gives me permission to get up close and read her bands, you can bet I am going to be doing some serious detective work. I think the fact that she is wearing two bands rather than one, which is very unusual, will help jumpstart that research.

I would LOVE to DNA sex her/him. When I eventually get to take her to the vet, that will be on the agenda.

Last edited:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Seems your patience is paying off...congrats
Thank you so much! To be honest, it's not my patience that is paying off. It's the collective patience of all of the awesome people here that have helped me, advised me, and encouraged me. Seriously, I am not exaggerating here - if it were not for the people in this forum, I would never have lasted this long.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like I've written before, this has been like a good book. It seems like a bunch of us are watching and celebrating with you!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Tonight's out-of-cage session involved Mango flying to the floor in the kitchen and then finding a little nook and settling in, as though she was nesting. Nothing I did could lure her out. She wanted nothing to do with me and just kept giving me the death dance. Finally, I had to use the ladder again to scoop her up and put her back in her cage.

That type of behavior seems very strange for baby bird. It brought back bad memories of Cosmo, when she used to exhibit extreme nesting behavior and go into the same nooks in the same way. Eventually, she became egg-bound and had to have surgery. PLEASE don't let Mango be another nesty female because I will not be able to handle that. It was over-the-top bad.

Oh well. :crycry:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Hopefully it was just a cozy, safe-feeling spot in a big, scary world that's still new to her. :)

And if the time comes for her to lay eggs, everyone on here will rally with great advice on diet, cage set up, environment, etc to help you both through it. :cheer:

Don't sweat it til ya get there, but if it makes you uncomfortable for her to be in the kitchen, do you have a way to keep her out? There are plenty of places she can be without causing you stress. :hug5:

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I always check for your updates too! You and Mango are coming on so well, and it's so encouraging to read about your growing bond.

Can you block off that little nook so she can't get to it?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I always check for your updates too! You and Mango are coming on so well, and it's so encouraging to read about your growing bond.

Can you block off that little nook so she can't get to it?
The nook I was referring to is the little space that runs along the entire length under to bottom cabinets. She settled into a spot near the refrigerator. At one point, she actually tried to climb under the refrigerator so I quickly blocked it with a towel.

The main thing that concerned me was why she was behaving that way. Was it a safe spot, like when she was under my bed? Or, was she driven by hormonal behavior?? If it was hormones, does that mean she might be older that what I was told by the pet store? I know that all she will eat is seeds, and that causes hormonal behavior.

As I said, hormones scare me because Cosmo was an extreme case of hyper hormones and it made for several years of insanity. After her egg binding surgery, the vet was able to wean her off of seeds and onto pellets, and it got much better, otherwise I don’t know how long I could have gone on that way. It was EXTREME. Please Mango....NO HORMONES!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
So amazing the people actually like reading my updates!! Actually, I should find some time to hop out of this thread and go check some of the other topics to see what other conure stuff is being discussed.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I am working from home right now. Mango's cage is right next to me. She is sitting on her new high perch closest to me (thanks to @faislaq for the suggestion) and, for the first time ever, is playing with one of her toys!!!!!! She seems to enjoy chewing on one of the ropes on her toy (wooden blocks and white rope). woooo hoooooo!!

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's fabulous news! Unless you're that toy. ;)

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Seriously? Even though I work?

Do you think that a very timid bird that hasn't been handled much would be a challenge to tame? She might be a biter!!!

At this point, i really am considering buying her.
All birds bite, the red lory who is extremely bonded to me bites me almost on a daily basis when he’s giving me lorritude. Severity and timing of the bite suggests to me whether it’s something I’ve missed a cue on and annoyed him or he’s just being an bum.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Latest update:

I was able to spend several hours on Saturday and several hours on Sunday hanging out with Mango. I kept her right next to me with the door of her cage open while I worked on the computer. I loved having her around, and I think she is really beginning to enjoy me as well. Though I have still not tried to handle her in any way, and she never came out of her cage, she has really let down her guard and was much more interactive with me. She was very active, moving around her cage, looking at me, eating, bathing, chatting at me and playing with her toys. She used to cower on her covered, upper perch doing her death dance. But now, she is always out in the open showing off. It is so much fun to see her blossom, and I have really fallen in love with her. I no longer have to avoid eye contact with her. We make direct eye contact all the time and she is no longer frightened by it at all. She loves when I laugh and clap at her and will start yelling right back at me. When I stop, she will start yelling at me until I do it again!

Earlier today, she was poking her head out of the cage door when she was hungry and I would hand her a Nutri-Berry. She takes them repeatedly right from my fingertips without thinking twice. I think that she really wants to come out of the cage, but she doesn't know how to come out!!! The concept of climbing around the edge of the door opening and up onto the top of the cage is just something that she doesn't understand. She doesn't seem to be able to figure it out. I need to find a way to build a ramp or something that gives her a clear path for climbing out. The times that she has come out previously, she launched herself out and made a hard landing on the floor. I don't think she wants to do that again.

I really want to work on her diet. I prepared the following bowl for her today full of greens, berries, grapes etc., and placed it into her cage, but she wouldn't touch it. All she wants is seed.

upload_2018-7-1_20-38-43.png

Cary

Meeting neighbors
Try mixing a few finely cut pieces of fruits and veggies in with a little seed.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A few months ago my little Linnie seemed baffled as to how to get on top of her cage. I put a rope perch from one side of the cage to the top. Now that's her go to when she wants to get to the top. You could also consider some kind of t-stand just outside her cage door for her to come out on. Or a rope perch like a C shape on the front, maybe just below the door, really any kind of perch attached to the outside might help.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yummy, I see she is training you well!!!

:rofl: