• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You're right, so much progress she's becoming a different bird. :fairy:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love this story :)

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Really excited! When I got home from work today and looked in Mango’s food dish, it appeared that she had eaten all of the Avicakes pieces that I had left for her!!!!! Wooooohoooooooooo.

I am going to see if she does it again tomorrow, then I will REALLY be excited!!

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Really excited! When I got home from work today and looked in Mango’s food dish, it appeared that she had eaten all of the Avicakes pieces that I had left for her!!!!! Wooooohoooooooooo.

I am going to see if she does it again tomorrow, then I will REALLY be excited!!

That's fantastic!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Two days in a row that my little buddy ate her Avi-cakes!!

Wooooohoooooooo.

Thank you to EVERYONE who suggested that I try Avi-cakes!!!! I can't believe that she is eating them! I never thought she would eat ANYTHING but seeds. I wish I had tried them with Cosmo.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Two days in a row that my little buddy ate her Avi-cakes!!

Wooooohoooooooo.

Thank you to EVERYONE who suggested that I try Avi-cakes!!!! I can't believe that she is eating them! I never thought she would eat ANYTHING but seeds. I wish I had tried them with Cosmo.

It's great that she is now enjoying the Avicakes. Try the Lafeber parrot popcorn, too. She might also like that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I did try that, but she did not seem to care for it. She claims that she has a very sophisticated palate and is therefore very selective about her popcorn.
Guess you should be getting her Popcornopolis or Artisan Popcorn. :laugh: From my birds to Mango, "You don't know what you are missing. The Parrot Popcorn is delicious! Even if you don't want to eat it, it's a lot of fun to throw it around." :D

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Guess you should be getting her Popcornopolis or Artisan Popcorn. :laugh: From my birds to Mango, "You don't know what you are missing. The Parrot Popcorn is delicious! Even if you don't want to eat it, it's a lot of fun to throw it around." :D
Mango says that if your birds like it, then it is good enough for her. She will give it another try!! She also wants to know what this "throwing" thing is that your birds speak of...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mango says that if your birds like it, then it is good enough for her. She will give it another try!! She also wants to know what this "throwing" thing is that your birds speak of...
LOL. Many of my birds like to throw their food and treats out of their bowls or if the treats are on platforms they will toss them around. The tossing is usually accompanied by laughter. My fault...I would sometimes toss something in their bowls and then they would pick it up and toss it back out, I would toss it back in, they would toss it out and it became a game.
It took Mango a while to start eating the Avicakes so might be worth another try with the popcorn.
My birds are super picky, btw.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
LOL. Many of my birds like to throw their food and treats out of their bowls or if the treats are on platforms they will toss them around. The tossing is usually accompanied by laughter. My fault...I would sometimes toss something in their bowls and then they would pick it up and toss it back out, I would toss it back in, they would toss it out and it became a game.
It took Mango a while to start eating the Avicakes so might be worth another try with the popcorn.
My birds are super picky, btw.
That is hilarious!!!!! I love that your birds don't stand for having just anything thrown into their food bowls!! Toss it right back out of there. Sounds like they have some attitude. I like that.

I still have the full bag of popcorn sitting right next to the Avi-cakes, so I will drop a few in her bowl tomorrow and we will see what happens...

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Mango just came down to the perch closest to where I am sitting and started looking at me and putting her beak on the perch, fluttering her wings, and making some soft sounds. As she did this, she bit the bars of the cage a few times. I have never seen this before. Definitely seems like she is trying to communicate something to me.

Anyone good at interpreting conure body language? Has anyone seen this before?

Reactions: tka

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Yes! Biting the bars is a definite let me out let me out!!! And to respond to your response to mine last week lol if you can get her to step up (are you using a treat to lure her so she has to step up to get it?) I would recommend staying still letting her eat the treat then putting her down and repeat! When I was training my little Pilaf baby we did this everyday for twenty minutes over and over step up treat eat down call her to come to me step up repeat and she got it so so fast and it was so bonding! You are doing so so great!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Yes! Biting the bars is a definite let me out let me out!!! And to respond to your response to mine last week lol if you can get her to step up (are you using a treat to lure her so she has to step up to get it?) I would recommend staying still letting her eat the treat then putting her down and repeat! When I was training my little Pilaf baby we did this everyday for twenty minutes over and over step up treat eat down call her to come to me step up repeat and she got it so so fast and it was so bonding! You are doing so so great!!!
Thanks so much for the input. I tried some step up drills with Mango this weekend, but she is still too timid. I tried using sunflower seeds, which are her favorite, but as soon as she sees my other hand, she backs off. At the same time, she is interacting with me at a whole new level, calling me and initiating with me very frequently. She absolutely LOVES when I clap and praise her - she becomes visibly excited and looks very happy and animated. I can sense that she seems very conflicted, really wanting to come to me and step up, but just not yet able to bring herself to do it.

At one point today, she stepped outside of the cage onto her ladder to take a treat from me. She lost her balance, slipped and ended up hanging from the ladder by her beak flapping her wings. I immediately placed my hands under her to prevent her from falling and then she let go and flew to the floor to avoid contact with my hands. Once on the floor, I was able to get her to step onto a ladder that I held out to her so that I could return her to the cage.

She doesn't come out of her cage anymore when the door is open but prefers to hang out inside. She will step out briefly when I lure her out with a treat but then immediately returns.

I notice that her nails are getting really long and have probably never been trimmed. Not sure what I can do about that at this point.

She is still eating the Avi-cakes, which is awesome!!

I notice that she does not seem to know how to turn her head back like most birds do when they sleep. Instead, she just hangs her head. This can make her look very sad. Sometimes, when I see her with her head hanging low, eyes open, I feel so sorry for her because she looks so lonely and sad. It makes me wonder what her life would be like if she were living in the rainforest with a whole flock of other birds. Unfortunately, she was born in captivity so all I can do is try to give her the best life I can!

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Unfortunately, she was born in captivity so all I can do is try to give her the best life I can!
Exactly. This is why you are a great bird owner :)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi sleeps with her head down and her whole body pitched forward, tail in the air, like most Linnies. Do conures usually tuck their heads in? I had a canary years ago that tucked his head in and swung on his swing when he slept. He looked like a swinging tennis ball, lol :)

I know you have a lot of challenges ahead of you with Mango, but you are doing so great. Just look at your earlier posts! Night and day. She is so lucky to have you!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would you remind me what a Linnie is?
Gigi is a lineolated parakeet, often called a Linnie. She's about 6-7 inches long and weighs 1 1/2 ounces, lol. But she's a little powerhouse.

Attachments

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Gigi is a lineolated parakeet, often called a Linnie. She's about 6-7 inches long and weighs 1 1/2 ounces, lol. But she's a little powerhouse.
Wow! Now she is one cute little bird! I just looked "lineolated parakeet" up online. They remind me a lot of a parrotlet. I am surprised that they do not have a long tail as I was under the impression that all parakeets have long tails.

What is her personality like? Does she let you handle her?