• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
9:20 pm and Mango is under my bed and won't come out. I can see her at times (she moves around a lot) and when I talk to her she just does her death dance. Very strange behavior. Not sure what to make of it.

I am going to have to find some way to get her back into her cage...

Did you try the ladder? How about putting her favorite food right in front of the bed?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Wow, I was hoping I would never have to do that.

She had climbed behind a cabinet with very little space. I had to use her ladder to force her out, and then chase her down so that I could get her back into the cage.

She kept running from me and would not get on the ladder. Finally, she climbed on and I was able to put her back in the cage.

The weird thing is that she resisted me so much, then when she was back in the cage she seemed happy to be there.

Sometimes, she acts like she is being held hostage by me, and wants desperately to find a way to break free. Makes me feel very sad. I just don't know if she will ever truly be happy here.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Did you try the ladder? How about putting her favorite food right in front of the bed?
Yes, I tried food, and gently trying to talk her out for about an hour. She wanted nothing to do with any of it. If she was flighted and had her way, she would definitely fly away and I would never see her again.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds can be weird. I've had birds go under or behind things and not want to come out and they were raised by me. Once they come out they fly somewhere or run somewhere else. They have minds of their own. I've had to use towels or reach under with a dowel to coax them out from where they are hiding. With some of mine, I think it's a game which I don't want to play. I hope she comes out soon.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww I understand. I have had bad days from time to time with my birds. Shake it off. Tomorrow will be better. Maybe block off the places where she can hide and stay.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I've had to use towels or reach under with a dowel to coax them out from where they are hiding.
Scott sometimes takes off when he gets spooked, even if we have no idea what startled him. Usually he'll land someplace easy, but if he lands near a tight, dark space (sofa, refrigerator, bookcase) he makes a beeline for it & won't come out for a long time. He doesn't like people enough to be coaxed out or lured out so we have had to use a dowel to get him to come out; we put the dowel in behind him and he slowly moves away from it until we can reach him, then he steps up. It's not ideal since he's afraid of stick-like objects (dowels, brooms, etc.) so we only do it if he's not in a safe spot, otherwise we just hang out for an hour or so & eventually he'll come walking out into the middle of the room & steps right up so we can take him back to his cage.

panurg

Meeting neighbors
Hi Craig

I wanted to send you a couple of links to help with switching your birdie from the seeds, these helped me:
How can I get my birds to switch from seeds to pellets? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

This link was my main advice source, avicakes worked great for me, and they are even advertised as something to help switching the birds to pellets.

Here is another good article, but I’d try the first method first, it’s very easy and not very money consuming.

Converting Your Bird from Eating Seeds to Pellets

You can find more online if you just google the topic, too.

Also, it is important to try switching her to a good kind of pellets right away, and most reviews I read, mentioned either Harrison’s or Roudybush. They both have small trial bags of food, so you don’t have to buy a big pack and see it go to waste if it really doesn’t work. Mine took to Roudybush easily, and I left it at this, although Harrison’s seems to be better (much much pricier though).

And don’t loose your hope, your bird WILL love you, she is already doing so great! It really really seems to me that she simply didn’t have much human interaction before, hence such behavior, and even wild caught bird can be tamed, so keep going, you are doing great! So glad to hear about your progress with her!

One more thing, I forgot to add, I noticed that it seems that in the beginning, while they are still adjusting to the new environment (and your case is clearly not the easiest one), they tend to not be that interested in food, so they wouldn’t try anything new, but once they warm up to the new surroundings and “flock”:), they become much more bold that way and start trying everything you are eating.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did she finally come out from under the bed? I hope so.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Hi Craig

I wanted to send you a couple of links to help with switching your birdie from the seeds, these helped me:
How can I get my birds to switch from seeds to pellets? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

This link was my main advice source, avicakes worked great for me, and they are even advertised as something to help switching the birds to pellets.

Here is another good article, but I’d try the first method first, it’s very easy and not very money consuming.

Converting Your Bird from Eating Seeds to Pellets

You can find more online if you just google the topic, too.

Also, it is important to try switching her to a good kind of pellets right away, and most reviews I read, mentioned either Harrison’s or Roudybush. They both have small trial bags of food, so you don’t have to buy a big pack and see it go to waste if it really doesn’t work. Mine took to Roudybush easily, and I left it at this, although Harrison’s seems to be better (much much pricier though).

And don’t loose your hope, your bird WILL love you, she is already doing so great! It really really seems to me that she simply didn’t have much human interaction before, hence such behavior, and even wild caught bird can be tamed, so keep going, you are doing great! So glad to hear about your progress with her!

One more thing, I forgot to add, I noticed that it seems that in the beginning, while they are still adjusting to the new environment (and your case is clearly not the easiest one), they tend to not be that interested in food, so they wouldn’t try anything new, but once they warm up to the new surroundings and “flock”:), they become much more bold that way and start trying everything you are eating.
Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to provide so much great information! You are wonderful!

I will look over the links that you provided. I already stopped on my way home from work and bought some Avicakes. I agree with you that getting Mango off of the seeds and on to the pellets as soon as possible is very important. I recently tried the approach of soaking the pellets and some Nutri-berries mixed together. I soaked them for about 2-3 minutes, then drained them and dabbed away the water. When I served this to Mango, she came down, took one look, then climbed onto a different perch and started yelling at me. I left it for about an hour, then gave her a bowl of her regular food so that she would quiet down.

I can't wait until Mango learns to try different food. I really used to love to share what I was having for dinner with Cosmo. We enjoyed dinner together, which seemed to deepen the bond.

Thank you so much for your encouragement!!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Did she finally come out from under the bed? I hope so.
As I mentioned above, I had to go and "retrieve" her. She did not come out on her own.

That whole episode left me scratching my head, trying to understand what she might have been thinking. Bird psychology is very difficult.

She flew under my bed and spent about an hour walking around among the plastic storage boxes I have down there. During this time she would occasionally make calls to me (at least i assume they are to me). Then, she eventually climbed behind my nightstand and settled into a spot was there was about a 2-inch gap with the wall. When I finally found her back there and looked down at her, she gave me a hard-core death dance (go away!!!!). This was at a time that was way past her bedtime. All I can think is that she was planning on settling down there for the night. She had no intentions of heading back to the cage for food and water.

When I got her out using the ladder, she kept flying away and avoiding me. It wasn't for a while until she finally surrendered, climbed up on the ladder, and allowed me to put her into the cage. Once in the cage, she looked very happy to be there.

I find all of this very confusing!!!!!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
she eventually climbed behind my nightstand and settled into a spot was there was about a 2-inch gap with the wall. When I finally found her back there and looked down at her, she gave me a hard-core death dance (go away!!!!). This was at a time that was way past her bedtime. All I can think is that she was planning on settling down there for the night. She had no intentions of heading back to the cage for food and water.
The littles are on an old printer stand & it has an inset toekick area around the base; it makes a cozy tunnel along the back wall. I've had to put the piece on furniture sliders so I can pull it away from the wall enough to get them out. :meh: Or at least make sure they're there so I can stop looking everywhere else in a panic. This last time I was so worried that I told Scotty that I was going to buy a pool noodle to block it off, but I'm worried he'd get stuck in the hole in the center, so no pool noodle blockade yet. :shifty:

Once they find a favorite spot they can learn to get there more and more quickly. Crafty little buggers.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
The littles are on an old printer stand & it has an inset toekick area around the base; it makes a cozy tunnel along the back wall. I've had to put the piece on furniture sliders so I can pull it away from the wall enough to get them out. :meh: Or at least make sure they're there so I can stop looking everywhere else in a panic. This last time I was so worried that I told Scotty that I was going to buy a pool noodle to block it off, but I'm worried he'd get stuck in the hole in the center, so no pool noodle blockade yet. :shifty:

Once they find a favorite spot they can learn to get there more and more quickly. Crafty little buggers.
Wow! Has Scotty ever decided that he was going to camp out for the night in one of these spots????

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
upload_2018-7-18_20-24-10.png

Hey everyone! Mango here. I just thought I would drop in for a quick visit before I get my birdie zzzzzzzz's.

Thanks for giving my human lots of advice on how to care for me because, believe me, he doesn't know what he is doing!!! I am having so much fun messing with his head!!! If only we could sit down over a plate of Nutri-berries, I could tell you some stories.

Good night!!!
Mango

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wow! Has Scotty ever decided that he was going to camp out for the night in one of these spots????
Harley used to do it all of the time. Scott probably would but now we know where to look! :p Stinkers!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
View attachment 282075

Hey everyone! Mango here. I just thought I would drop in for a quick visit before I get my birdie zzzzzzzz's.

Thanks for giving my human lots of advice on how to care for me because, believe me, he doesn't know what he is doing!!! I am having so much fun messing with his head!!! If only we could sit down over a plate of Nutri-berries, I could tell you some stories.

Good night!!!
Mango
Hey Mango! Gigi says hello and good night! No birdie nightmares about that little dark cage, only good dreams of your new life with that guy that cares so much!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Harley used to do it all of the time. Scott probably would but now we know where to look! :p Stinkers!
So good to know this. It's normal behavior!

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
So glad to see all the progress you've been making- I gotta tell you though, I think it's high time for you to start step up training! You really could have started it weeks ago, and you guys need it, it's SO bonding and will help build trust between you two like gangbusters. I posted a video back when you first brought her up about check point training, I think there is something in there about moving from check point to step up- need a link? Oh and if you haven't found her favorite treat yet, something that will really get her paying attention to you, have you tried apple? Both my conures live for apple so I thought I would mention it! Keep up the great work and keep moving forward!!! <3

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
So glad to see all the progress you've been making- I gotta tell you though, I think it's high time for you to start step up training! You really could have started it weeks ago, and you guys need it, it's SO bonding and will help build trust between you two like gangbusters. I posted a video back when you first brought her up about check point training, I think there is something in there about moving from check point to step up- need a link? Oh and if you haven't found her favorite treat yet, something that will really get her paying attention to you, have you tried apple? Both my conures live for apple so I thought I would mention it! Keep up the great work and keep moving forward!!! <3
Yes, I agree with you! Thank you for your helpful input!!!!

Mango and I had some fantastic time together today. She came out of her cage and sat on top of the cage and was really into interacting with me the whole time. She loves to come to the part of the cage that is closest to me and look at me, almost like she is teasing me. If I don't interact with her, then she calls to me. Today, I was walking over to her and standing right next to her, face-to-face, and she seemed very comfortable. She was very animated and making lots of sounds that I had never heard before. And, for the very first time, she was able to go back into the cage on her own when she wanted to without my having to help her using the ladder. It was soooooooo much fun to have her around. I have a feeling that she (or possibly he) is going to be a playful little clown someday soon!! I really noticed today how much she loves it when I clap and laugh for her. She really gets into that. She also took another bath in her water bowl today and really seemed to be enjoying herself. I might get her a larger water bowl for her baths. I also want to see if she might like being misted. She was also scritching herself using her perch.

I tried to get her to step up, and she was very conflicted about it. I can tell that she wanted to very badly, but still couldn't bring herself to do it quite yet. But I think it will happen soon. If she ever does step up, would it be best to just stand still with her and let her get used to me, or, should I try to walk around with her?? Any thoughts about that?

Sunflower seeds are definitely her treat of choice, with Nutri-berries being a close second. Yes, apple is one of the only other foods that she will eat. Today, I offered her avicakes, moistened Zupreem pellets, and a fruit blend (cherries, blueberries, mango and apple) that I made in the food processor, but she would not touch any of those things.

Now that she is taking treats from my hand, I really want to start target training.

This is amazing!!!! On May 1 when I brought her home, she was so terrified that I NEVER really thought I would ever reach this point. But it has been so rewarding. This little bird is so sweet and has been a real blessing to me as I go through a very difficult time of life. I am really becoming a green cheek conure fan!!!!!!!

One other thing I have noticed: I don't think she has dropped single feather!!! I have not found a single feather anywhere yet!

Here is a shot video of Mango taking a seed from my hand earlier today.

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Last edited: