• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Higgins intune is a fruit flavored pellet with no artifical dye or flavor but it has sugar. Not sure aout Z natural & sugar.

Try moistening the pellets with a fruit juice & mixing some finely chopped fruit in it.

Try the pellets first thing when she is most hungry. Maybe moist she will taste them.

Try to get another picture of the dance. I really does not look aggressive to me but I could not really see a close up.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
After almost 2 months with Mago, I am thinking that I have made the following mistakes:

1. Rather than buying a flight cage that requires me to put my hands in the cage to change food and water, I should have purchased a normal cage or a flight cage with doors for accessing food and water bowls.
  2. I would have allowed Mango to start coming out of the cage as soon as she was used to her new surroundings. It seems like the taming process is something that should happen outside of the cage. The inside of the cage is the bird's safe space where they should never be stressed. This would also provide me an opportunity to clean the cage and adjust the arrangement inside the cage.
  3. I should have minimized looking directly at her and making direct, sustained eye contact while she is afraid of me.

I am learning. I won't make these mistakes again!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Higgins intune is a fruit flavored pellet with no artifical dye or flavor but it has sugar. Not sure aout Z natural & sugar.

Try moistening the pellets with a fruit juice & mixing some finely chopped fruit in it.

Try the pellets first thing when she is most hungry. Maybe moist she will taste them.

Try to get another picture of the dance. I really does not look aggressive to me but I could not really see a close up.
Great advice. I will try this. Thank you!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
We ha
After almost 2 months with Mago, I am thinking that I have made the following mistakes:

1. Rather than buying a flight cage that requires me to put my hands in the cage to change food and water, I should have purchased a normal cage or a flight cage with doors for accessing food and water bowls.
  2. I would have allowed Mango to start coming out of the cage as soon as she was used to her new surroundings. It seems like the taming process is something that should happen outside of the cage. The inside of the cage is the bird's safe space where they should never be stressed. This would also provide me an opportunity to clean the cage and adjust the arrangement inside the cage.
  3. I should have minimized looking directly at her and making direct, sustained eye contact while she is afraid of me.

I am learning. I won't make these mistakes again!!

We have all made mistakes. :hug8:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We've all made mistakes. You now recognise what you could have done differently and are making up for it.

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
People who work do have birds and the birds are generally OK.
I work a 9-5 monday-friday day job. When im home, my birb is out and about to roam where he pleases. he has learned my schedule, so he stays calm all day in the cage playing with the plethora of toys and treats (very important to have lots of stimulating toys in the cage if they are in there for length amount of hours at a time.) Then as soon as I get home he knows it's play time, I make him fresh fruits and veggies and then him and I sit and watch shows/play video games he crawls all over me and his playtop going about his business as happy birb.

So working a full time job is certainly okay when having a bird. So long as when you get out of work, and you are home, he knows he's going to get attention and not be left along in a guest room or something. (My conure's cage is right in the living room where me and hubby are when we are home.) And its okay to be tired after work and not wanting to play a whole ton, just letting them out of the cage and sitting next to you while you knit, watch shows, read, and then giving them head scritches and every so often lets them know that you are there and loving them.

The concern that arises for people with full time jobs and birds, is that they have the bird put away in a separate room from everyone, and when they get home from work are too tired to spend time with the birb. In my opinion the best place for your birbs cage is right in the middle of all the action of your home. (Now, I don't have kids running around so maybe it's different if you have loud kids? I'm not sure.)

And just the fact alone that you are concerned that "will he be happy with me if i have a full job with weird hours" is proof enough that you take notice to the fact that they need time, and im sure that if he/she came home with you, you would make it a point to make sure they know they are loved each day (or night, if you work nights). Birbs are pretty adaptable to their owners schedules. Plus, you build a bond, so they are going to want to be awake when you're awake. HAHA.

(I'm in no way a bird expert, I'm just sharing my own personal experience as a full time worker that has two birbs and a dog. You just choose how to spend your time. :) ))

(I say GO FOR IT! But I'm a crazy birb mom... and an enabler. LOL)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
(I say GO FOR IT! But I'm a crazy birb mom... and an enabler. LOL)
Oh he totally went for it. :D Keep reading.

Pretty sure we're all enablers. We're an awful crowd, us. :p

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica

BAH AHAH. Wow, I didn't even notive the 20 pages of comments. Goodness, I'm a tad behind on the forum scene. HAHA.

Glad you got the birb! And yes, now that I'm caught up. Everything is a learning process, and being on this forum helps a ton! Getting good feedback, and hearing other people's experience has made owning a bird a lot easier than If I was doing this all on my own.

and as for bonding, in my experience, food is like the number one way to a birbs heart. My conure LOVES unroasted almonds (easier for him to mush in his beat than the roasted ones), maybe try holding a few alonds in your hand at the opening of the cage door and just sit there calmly, or whatever treat your found the birb eating the most.

Although... from reading, it sounds like the birb flies all over? so that may be a tad more tricky leaving the cage wide open. hmm... I'm sure someone else said another helpful idea for the bonding process.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig

YES! YOU ARE ENABLERS!!!! hehe.

I wish that we could have a meetup with everyone on the thread. Would be so much fun to meet and THANK everyone, and see their fids.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
BAH AHAH. Wow, I didn't even notive the 20 pages of comments. Goodness, I'm a tad behind on the forum scene. HAHA.

Glad you got the birb! And yes, now that I'm caught up. Everything is a learning process, and being on this forum helps a ton! Getting good feedback, and hearing other people's experience has made owning a bird a lot easier than If I was doing this all on my own.

and as for bonding, in my experience, food is like the number one way to a birbs heart. My conure LOVES unroasted almonds (easier for him to mush in his beat than the roasted ones), maybe try holding a few alonds in your hand at the opening of the cage door and just sit there calmly, or whatever treat your found the birb eating the most.

Although... from reading, it sounds like the birb flies all over? so that may be a tad more tricky leaving the cage wide open. hmm... I'm sure someone else said another helpful idea for the bonding process.
Yes, I am trying to use food as you suggest. Unfortunately, Mango seems to be extremely picky. Currently, I am trying to introduce her to Lafebers Popcorn, which came highly recommended. She tasted it and seemed unimpressed. But, I will keep offering it to her and see what happens.

You're right that it is a learning process and, yes, the forum has been INVALUABLE. Best people ever!!

Thanks for reading through all of this and offering encouragement!!!! I will try unroasted almonds. There has to be something out there that Mango will find irresistible.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
We've all made mistakes. You now recognise what you could have done differently and are making up for it.
Exactly!! I hope Mango will be forgiving...

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I placed a ladder on her cage so that she can climb back up. I also placed a few treats on the floor near me.

She is wandering around very close to my feet. I am sitting very still and talking to her softly. She doesn’t seem very afraid of me right now. I hope she doesn’t go under my bed....

Last edited:

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Hopefully she takes to the popcorn. If nothing else, it's nice to smell.

Maybe she just needs to come to you on her terms. Since she is out on her own and doesn't seem afraid, that is a great start.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
She is now wandering around the computer’s electrical cords so I had to sneak over an unplug them. Now she is climbing on my rolling file folder stand.

At one point, she walked over very close to me, looked up at me and did her death dance! I am now sitting on the floor keeping an eye on her. Amazing that she seems semi-comfortable. She is not acting startled every time that I move like I thought she might. She is chattering every so often and looking at me. Now she has climbed all the way to the top of the rolling files which are sitting under the computer table.

I hope this all ends up good!!!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Now she flew down from the top of the rolling files and she is walked around on the floor under her cage eating the food the fell on the floor from her cage. She is about 3 feet from me. I placed my Microsoft Surface on the floor playing her favorite conure video. She is right in front of it touching the screen and chattering.

She is looking at me and doing her dance every so often. She is beak grinding and eating any food she finds. I think this means that she must feel somewhat comfortable. She is now a few feet away and looking at me. I keep talking to her.

I am nervous and excited!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Don't forget to make sounds, too. Birds like sounds. I bob my head and whistle & that gets our green cheeks going.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Don't forget to make sounds, too. Birds like sounds. I bob my head and whistle & that gets our green cheeks going.
Good idea.

She actually started to use the ladder to climb back into her cage, but because of the way it was arranged, she could not figure out how to make it all the way up. So, when she came down I started to change the arrangement of the ladders, and that scared her and she ran back the the rolling file stand and climbed half way up and is hiding behind it. She has been back there for a while.

I am keepinking a close eye on her. I hope she comes out and tries the ladder again. It’s arranged much better now!

Last edited: