• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
She did it!!!!!! She climbed all the way up to the top of her cage!!!! She looks like she is really enjoying herself! I gave her lots of praise and she looked so proud.

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
She did it!!!!!! She climbed all the way up to the top of her cage!!!! She looks like she is really enjoying herself! I gave her lots of praise and she looked so proud.
Yay! I love how proud of themselves they get, it's enough to make you burst.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
She is sitting up there preening while I sit on my bed and talk to her. This is an amazing moment for me. She looks sooooo happy right now. And it great to know that she now knows how to climb around and on her cage.

Woooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Excellent news. She is definitely getting more comfortable with you. I really don't think she is doing a "death dance" but is just excited.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Whooooooo hooooo. Awesome progress.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So excited for you and Mango! What an adventure!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Thanks, everyone! I like being able to record my thoughts and experience here as this unfolds.

Mango is still out of the cage. At one point, she was frightened when I accidentally dropped a shirt, and flew to the floor and ran under the bed. I thought about it and realized that she could not get into too much trouble under the bed, so I let her poke around down there (and I checked on her frequently) and used that as an opportunity to clean out her cage and move a few things around. I cleaned out all of the poop and moved some perches around, added another high perch, and added another toy.

Eventually, she came walking out from under the bed and climbed the ladder back to the top of the cage. When she was hungry, she took some Nutri-Berries directly from my hand on the top of the cage. I just held out a Nutri-Berry very, very still, and she slowly worked her way over to me and took it!! Then she took a few more. She is still very, very cautious of me. I have to walk on eggshells around her. At one point, I was clapping and laughing and she scolded me for that. So I have to be a little more reserved.

She has not had any water since she came out and I know she must be thirsty. I refilled her water bowl an showed it to her then put it back in the cage. I am hoping that will lure her back in.

I also just noticed some moths in her seed container!!! UGH!! I went and filled it with water, and then removed all traces of seed from the condo. I hope I don't get an infestation. SO HARD TO GET RID OF!!!!

I hope she goes in soon. I want to go out to get some food!!!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Wow, this bird is soooo sweet.

She was sitting on top of the cage for the longest time trying to figure out how to get back in. She doesn't seem to know how to climb around the wall of the door to go in. At one point, she actually climbed down onto my desk and walked over to me, her eyes looking very tired. I spoke to her in a soft voice and I can tell that she is beginning to realize that I care about her. She climbed back up top, and I tried to talk her in, but she just couldn't figure it out. Finally, I had an idea...

I picked up one of her ladders and held it out horizontally, level with the top of the cage. I thought she would run away, but incredibly, she seemed to know exactly what I was doing. She slowly walked over and gently climbed aboard. Then I slowly lowered it and pushed it into the door of the cage. She hopped off on one of her perches, and then turned and looked at me as if to say, "thank you so much!" It was amazing. What a huge step of trust for her!!!!

So, I wheeled her into her normal sleeping spot and she is doing a little munching right now, and then, I am sure, will get some much needed zzzzz's.

I can't believe how big a step today was for both of us. I just love this little buddy of mine!!!! I can't believe how far we have come. It feels like it has been a long road.

From this...
upload_2018-6-23_19-11-52.png
To this...
upload_2018-6-23_19-11-31.png

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Yayyyy, I love this update! How fantastic that she knew to come to you for help, and she accepted what you were doing with the ladder. Many birds would have skittered off when you moved the ladder. Way to go!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As exciting as it has been for you, I so look forward to your updates. We are all clapping for you and your girl. Oops, shhh.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Yayyyy, I love this update! How fantastic that she knew to come to you for help, and she accepted what you were doing with the ladder. Many birds would have skittered off when you moved the ladder. Way to go!
I still can't believe that just happened. I placed the ladder there and she lowered her head and began walking toward it. She tested it with her beak than then climbed right on. Then, I thought she might jump off as I moved it, but instead just turned around to face inside the door. I pushed it in and she quickly took a drink from her bowl then hopped off. Seriously, she had eyes of gratitude. I could not believe it.

What a sweet little bird!! That was so endearing.

Ok, now I can go get some food!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
As exciting as it has been for you, I so look forward to your updates. We are all clapping for you and your girl. Oops, shhh.
:hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:starshower::starshower1: You need to celebrate. She really is beautiful and it's great that she has become more trusting of you.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:fairy2:Congratulations!

panurg

Meeting neighbors
Hi Craig

I have read all your posts in this thread last night like a very interesting book, and I have to say that I am so happy for Mango that she got saved from that awful store (I think it has to be prohibited from selling birds like conures there) by a person like you. Can’t wait for the continuation of this story, love hearing about people saving animals from bad situations!

I had a couple of thoughts after finishing reading them, so I wanted to share them, maybe it will be some help.

First, it is really really suspicious to me that the store wouldn’t give you information on the aviary the bird came from. I got my two green cheeks from two different petcos from different states, and the stores would not even let me go away with the bird without having a hatch certificate with the birds hatch date and the name of the aviary. If I was in your situation, I would go back and demand the paperwork from them, I don’t think it is legal for them to hide it from you.

Second, it sounds to me that your bird wasn’t hand raised/fed. I made a mistake once a few years ago of trying to get a green cheek from a house where they all were raised by their parents in one big cage- boy, that was a big mistake, the bird was a terror, kept biting my hand when I’d offer it a treat, I had to surrender it to a local shelter, simply couldn’t deal with it like you do-my respect for your patience and love. And even that bird I had for a short time, wasn’t as badly afraid of me as your sounds like. Also, I think that maybe this bird is not that young anymore, if it grew to be so afraid of people - babies seem to be more accepting of the new beings around them.

Also, I wanted to add that I read that you shouldn’t be too afraid of making little mistakes- if you do, just came back to where you were before at with the bird before the mistake, and work it up again until you get the desired result. For example, if the bird takes seeds through the bars but is afraid of taking them from your hand in the cage, and you try to give her some treats in the cage too early and spook her, go back to teaching her take them through the bars again and be more patient this time and wait longer before you try giving her seeds in the cage again. Also, it is very important to watch their body language very very closely.

I am a first time bird owner, and I read a ton of articles before and after getting the birds, and there is so much out there, that you most likely will find an answer to any of your problems somewhere. Reading all these has been incredibly helpful for me, as well as getting the wonderful advices from this forum.

I wish you all the best with Mango, and thank you for saving her!

Lena

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I had a couple of thoughts after finishing reading them, so I wanted to share them, maybe it will be some help.
Wow, thanks for reading through the thread! I had no idea that is would become this long!!

First, it is really really suspicious to me that the store wouldn’t give you information on the aviary the bird came from.
Yes, based on your urging, I took a ride over there today and asked one of the sales persons who I worked with if she could talk to the manager and do her best to find any information she could for me. I told her that it seems very unusual to me that the store does not remember where they get their birds. At the very least, I would like the hatch date. She told me that she would look into it.

Second, it sounds to me that your bird wasn’t hand raised/fed.
I have suspected that this might be the case. I would love to know anything at all about her past. She is wearing two bands, one on each leg, with numbers/letters on each one (a red one and a green one). I am hoping that the information on these bands might help me to eventually locate the breeder.

Also, I wanted to add that I read that you shouldn’t be too afraid of making little mistakes
Thanks for the encouragement! I have made plenty of mistakes!!!!!

panurg

Meeting neighbors
I have suspected that this might be the case. I would love to know anything at all about her past. She is wearing two bands, one on each leg, with numbers/letters on each one (a red one and a green one). I am hoping that the information on these bands might help me to eventually locate the breeder.
Well, this color mutation in green cheeks does not happen in the wild, so at least the bird for sure came from a breeder and wasn’t caught in the wild :facepalm:. I found this article about banding online, seems to be of some sort of help:
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - The ABC's Of Leg Bands - Identifying Birds

It is certainly unusual that she wears two bands though...

I realized that I wasn’t clear with my story about that parents raised bird I had once. I meant to say that I happened to have a first hand experience with both parent raised and hand raised birds, and the difference is like night and day between the twoo_O

Are you planning to DNA sex her eventually?

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well it is Petco so you would hope they are selling handfed pet birds not older ones someone turned in.

Time to investigate as records don't have to be kept long but they should have records on where they got a bird in case something was wrong with it. Its inventory & they have to be accountable. Not sure if they are selling parent raised birds.

Do you have an inventory #? I guess that # on the birds tag with price?

Shes likely been handfed after a few weeks but limited contact other than to feed & they do go "wild" fairly quickly when they are not handled daily after weaning.

Seems your patience is paying off...congrats