• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Could only watch part of video and then it wouldn't work any more. Tried again a few times and it won't load at all.
Looked like there is still a cover on the back of the cage, correct? Have you tried removing it?
Not sure why you are not able to view the video. I post all of the videos the same way! Maybe I will try again using a different format.

No, I have not removed the cover. I am afraid that I would be taking away her safe place and stressing her.

One thing I have noticed....when I put on my Frank Sinatra playlist while working, she seems to become a little more relaxed. Yesterday, she actually sat next to me for a few hours and preened, stretched, bathed, and just looked totally chill for several hours while I had Frank on (I whistled and sang to it a little bit). I never looked directly at her during that time.

Oh man, I can't believe what just happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is awesome. I would have been skeptical about this if I had not seen it myself...

OK, as I write this, Mango's cage is in my bedroom next to my desk and I have on my Frank playlist as I type. Once again she came down to hang out with me because she is hungry. So, I started feeding her Nutri-Berries through the cage bars. I can tell that she was expecting this and was enjoying it. After giving her several berries over the course of about 15 minutes, I decided to change it up and give her a sunflower seed instead. She came over, hesitated, and then took it. However, she dropped it and just looked at me. So, I thought, "Ok, she is not in the mood for that." So, I offered her a safflower seed through the bars. Once again, she took it but dropped it. Then, she immediately started making her loud scolding sound!!!!!!!!! It seemed as though I was being scolded for giving her seeds when she wanted Nutri-Berries! The only other option is that she might have seen something out the window that scared her, so I closed the curtain. Then I offered her another seed. She immediately started making the scolding sound loudly again, and then started doing her military square-headed march!!!! So, I offered her a Nutri-Berry, and suddenly, all was right with the world again. I have now given her several more berries and she is content again. Amazingly, it really does seem to me that I was being scolded for offering the wrong treat!!!!! THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!! I love it. Even though she is not bonding with me, I am bonding with her. I just love her. Any bird with that much spunk is cool in my book!!

Now she went back up onto her high perch and is sitting there beak grinding. No "go away" dance. Maybe the fact that I stopped looking at her and put on a little Frank has scored some points with her!!!!! In another 5 years, maybe she will learn to like me.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I had to skip a few posts from today, but I've been following. I just wanted to say, maybe try the lafeber popcorn. My SUPER picky nanday won't go near new things. He attacks or runs away. I offered him the popcorn and it's his new favorite treat. I lovethe way it smells, too. When he was in the hospital, it was the only thing we could get him to try after his stitches because he couldn't hold his food. Might be worth picking a bag up.
Is this the right stuff??

https://www.amazon.com/Lafebers-Pop...pID=51a8AGW6pRL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

MeganC

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I watched the video of your bird and it doesn’t look like what my two conures do when they have decided something is evil and needs to be chased off.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is wonderful! I think you have a Sinatra fan on your hands.

I also fear that you have an accomplished human trainer on your hands :) This, however, is GOOD. You have opened up a line of communication - she can do something, and you understand what she's trying to tell you. This is an enormous confidence boost for a little bird: she now feels that she has some kind of control over her environment, and she can get the human to listen to her. Being able to express something and know that someone will respond to you is so very important.

It will take time and patience, but you're making such progress. Keep doing what you're doing.

Last edited:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I watched the video of your bird and it doesn’t look like what my two conures do when they have decided something is evil and needs to be chased off.
Wow, that is interesting. Sure seems like that is what Mango is saying, but I could be wrong.

By the way, I love the names of your fids: Tiki and Yuki!!!! It rolls off of the tongue.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
This is wonderful! I think you have a Sinatra fan on your hands.

I also fear that you have an accomplished human trainer on your hands :) This, however, is GOOD. You have opened up a line of communication - she can do something, and you understand what she's trying to tell her. This is an enormous confidence boost for a little bird: she now feels that she has some kind of control over her environment, and she can get the human to listen to her. Being able to express something and know that someone will respond to you is so very important.

It will take time and patience, but you're making such progress. Keep doing what you're doing.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited!!!!!!!! Yes, this really does feel like we communicated substantially for the first time, even though it consisted of her shouting at me (and rudely, if I may add). HAHA! But at least there has been no death dance at all tonight.

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
Excellent!! Thank you. I ordered it.
Yayyyy, hopefully she loves it as much as my picky boy. I like them because they are easy to hold (as a human) for aggressive parrots. My husband uses them to help pacify my nanday and gain his trust. So far so good. No bites in about 4 weeks.

MeganC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Wow, that is interesting. Sure seems like that is what Mango is saying, but I could be wrong.

By the way, I love the names of your fids: Tiki and Yuki!!!! It rolls off of the tongue.

I don’t have a Green Cheek, so they might be different, but does she fluff up when she does that? It doesn’t look like it in the video, but it is hard to tell. Both of mine make themselves as fluffy as possible, spread their wings slightly, and if on a solid surface, drag their beak partially open diagonally on the ground. If the offending object does not leave, they inch closer and will strike. I would think if she doesn’t get big and fluffy when she does it, she might have another reason for that behavior.

Thank you, btw. Their names do go fairly well together.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Yayyyy, hopefully she loves it as much as my picky boy. I like them because they are easy to hold (as a human) for aggressive parrots. My husband uses them to help pacify my nanday and gain his trust. So far so good. No bites in about 4 weeks.
It's very encouraging to hear this. Maybe Mango will like them too. That would be awesome.

Let's hope that you and your husband are able to continue avoiding bites!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig

I don’t have a Green Cheek, so they might be different, but does she fluff up when she does that? It doesn’t look like it in the video, but it is hard to tell. Both of mine make themselves as fluffy as possible, spread their wings slightly, and if on a solid surface, drag their beak partially open diagonally on the ground. If the offending object does not leave, they inch closer and will strike. I would think if she doesn’t get big and fluffy when she does it, she might have another reason for that behavior.

Thank you, btw. Their names do go fairly well together.
That is great information. No, she does not fluff up at all while doing this. Sometimes she will stretch upward as high as she possibly can while looking straight up, over and over.

Ok, here is another theory...

Could this be a way of scaring off a potential predator?? She has not done this anymore since I stopped looking at her directly in the eyes. I wonder if maybe this is not a threat to strike because she is not in striking distance, but instead a way of warning a potential predator to stay away.

By the way, I miss looking at her. She is so beautiful!!! :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mango is a Frank Sinatra Fan. Maybe you should start singing Frank Sinatra's songs to her.
It's great that she let you know what she wanted and that she likes the Nutri-Berries. Definitely making progress with her and you know that you can use those when working with her.
I hope she likes the popcorn. BTW, it should be in a gold bag rather than the blue that is pictured on Chewy. They changed the packaging a while ago. I was so used to receiving the blue bags that the first time I got the new package I questioned it and had to call Lafeber. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to the birds.

Next time she takes a Nutri-Berry from you take a quick glance at her and tell her she is pretty, sweet and a good girl, etc. and then look away. You want to be able to look at her. Don't stand over her but try to stand even or a little bit below her.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW, I wonder if she would like some Caitec Baked Bird Munchies. Sometimes Caitec sends out samples so you could email them to see if they would send you samples of the Munchies and maybe even the pellets.
Shop For Dog, Bird & Small Animal Toys, Cages and More | Caitec.com
They come in 3 different flavors...veggie delight, cran-blueberry and tropi-fruit. Baked Birdie Munchies | Caitec Corporation
My birds, unfortunately, were not fans even though they like the Caitec Oven Fresh Bites pellets but I know that some birds love the munchies.

MeganC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
That is great information. No, she does not fluff up at all while doing this. Sometimes she will stretch upward as high as she possibly can while looking straight up, over and over.

Ok, here is another theory...

Could this be a way of scaring off a potential predator?? She has not done this anymore since I stopped looking at her directly in the eyes. I wonder if maybe this is not a threat to strike because she is not in striking distance, but instead a way of warning a potential predator to stay away.

By the way, I miss looking at her. She is so beautiful!!! :(

It could be that. I have never seen my birds do that, so I can’t say for sure. Either way it doesn’t sound like she feels too threatened if she doesn’t fluff up to look larger.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Don't know if thats a death dance. They sometimes pace when they want to come out.

Mixed signals?

Rio likes safflower seeds thats about it.

Do you mean safflower seeds are the only thing that Rio will eat??

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
No Rio eats other things but safflower is his favorite...

He likes most fruits/some veggies some pellets/ intune.

He won't touch a cracker or chip or any junk food most love.

I still don;t think the dance is a death dance.

Seems sort of playful 7 engaging but I am not there in person.

As someone said fluffed head down beak open hissing well thats a do not come near sign but
not sure of the pacing bowing head sort of undulating...More want to come out or even possibly hormonal to me.

Last edited:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
No Rio eats other things but safflower is his favorite...

He likes most fruits/some veggies some pellets/ intune.

He won't touch a cracker or chip or any junk food most love.

I still don;t think the dance is a death dance.

Seems sort of playful 7 engaging but I am not there in person.

As someone said fluffed head down beak open hissing well thats a do not come near sign but
not sure of the pacing bowing head sort of undulating...More want to come out or even possibly hormonal to me.
You could very well be right - maybe that is not a death dance after all. That is very encouraging! It would be nice to know that it was anything other than that!!

Yes, safflower seeds seem to be well-liked among conures based on what I have read.

What do you mean by "intune?"

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
That is a type of pellet.
Every day, I add some Zupreem Natural pellets to Mango's food bowl, but she has not touched them as far as I can tell. I guess I can start backing off on the seed, hoping that she will eventually start testing the pellet. Or, I can try some other pellets. I know there are many brands that different birds like. Getting a baby bird to start eating healthy has got to be one of the world's greatest challenges!!!