• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I really would not worry why she is doing behaviors so much as to just turn away when she does that & try to think what you did to maybe cause it.

Who knows what a bird thinks.

I don;t think she is frustrated & wants to come out as likely she has never been out of her small pet shop cage.

Just keep calm around her & don't give her attention at all if she is doing something spastic as she might start to think its a good thing to do.

GCC are spunky birds & energetic so she just might be hyper at times.

Try to find out what she enjoys so she can occupy her time...Chew toys or swing etc
I really appreciate your advice. Thank you!

Yes, today was not a good day. Mango really wanted nothing to do with me. She continues to be scared to death of me and watches every move I make, staying as far away from me as possible. She won't take any treats from my hands in the cage and now appears to be afraid to take treats from my hands outside the cage as well. No idea why she has regressed. She is just as afraid of me now as she was on the day I brought her home despite all of my efforts to show her that I am not a threat to her. When I leave the room, she will sometimes come out and sit on the public perch. When I enter the room, she usually moves to her covered, private perch. She still does the death dance when I speak to her or look at her.

I tried moving her cage near a window so that she could see the outside and the sunny blue sky, but she made so much noise in that location that I had to move her back.

She continues to eat nothing but seeds and refuses to try anything else. Even when I give her Nutri-Berries, she picks through them eating only the seeds.

She enjoys splashing in her water bowl and does spend time moving around the cage talking to herself. She never plays with any toys. She also LOVES when I put a bird video on for her and comes out to watch and chatter with the birds in the video.

At this point, I think I am just going to give it a break for a while. I wore myself out trying to engage her this weekend and she just will not respond. I am just going to leave her alone this week. I will make sure her food and water are filled and change her paper, but nothing else. I am just going to leave her alone this week, which seems to be what she wants. Maybe I will try to engage with her again next week.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Interesting video on a popular YouTube channel. Notice how she explained that winning a bird’s trust takes patience, preservence, and giving the bird it’s space. Allow the bird to come to you.

Makes sense to me!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
& it doesn;t hurt that she is pretty too!!!!:rofl:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How is your darling Mango? :)

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
& it doesn;t hurt that she is pretty too!!!!:rofl:
I am sure that is a big reason lol. She seems very good with her birds, but I watched her video about her friend's sun conure and she called it a Jenday. It was most definitely not a Jenday, maybe a hybrid if it was an older bird.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
How did you lose Lily, @DoubleTake ?
There was an accident when I was not home.:( I won't go into detail because it is just to hard still. I miss her very much, she was my angel of the three. Dad and son miss her as well but I think they coped with our loss better than I did since they have each other. I say son because I finally got Chloe tested and she is a he and shall now be known as Cole. A woman that works at the local bird store I frequent had this made for me.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Lily must have been a wonderful friend. It’s so hard to lose them. I lost my best buddy, Cosmo, back in November so I have an idea what you are going through. It hurts so much!!!

Hold on to those memories!!!!

We are thinking of you, Lily! Please say hello to Cosmo for me!!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
UPDATE:

Hate to say it but there has been no progress at all. Mango is just as afraid of me today as she was when I adopted her on May 1.

She stays as far from me as possible and spends hours showing me her death dance from underneath her covered perch if I am in the room with her. She refuses to take any treats from my hand and looks extremely scared while I am attempting to offer them to her. Sometimes she will flee behind her toy and just peek out at me occasionally as she does her dance. Still enjoys videos of other conures and like to chatter/scream at them.

Very discouraging! :(

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear this. Do you have an ideas as to what you might do now?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Not much I can do.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Likely she has never had positive human contact? Was she handfed?

Its about 6 weeks which for many birds is not very long especially is they have lad little contact with people.

Just be patient & don't push.

Continue to visit her & offer treats & soft words. You need to find her if she has one but most do treat that will get her past her fears & time/

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't give up. Sooner or later the light bulb in her brain will turn on and she will accept you as a friend. Continue to sit with her, talk to her, eat something yummy next to her. Sending positive thoughts that Mango will accept you and want to be friends.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sooner or later the light bulb in her brain will turn on and she will accept you as a friend.
Yes, on a much lighter note, I put Worldly Cuisine soft food in Gigi's cage for 22 days before she touched it. Then she did and has been eating it for a week. I thought she would only eat Roudybush pellets forever. I don't know what changed but it took patience (it felt pretty crazy to throw away the untouched food every single day) but it finally paid off.

I had a convo with one of my grandchildren today about how much we think our animals react as a result of our emotions. Fiona told me how sad her dog gets when one of the kids cries. I told her about how I was really sick one day, took my caiques out on to their play gym, and they were quiet and still while I napped next to them for 3 hours. So this is simplistic but could you maybe be more upbeat with Mango? You seem like such a kind person. You want so much for Mango to be happy. Maybe try to not show your disappointment or sadness in the situation. Act as if everything is fine and happy.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Likely she has never had positive human contact? Was she handfed?

Its about 6 weeks which for many birds is not very long especially is they have lad little contact with people.

Just be patient & don't push.

Continue to visit her & offer treats & soft words. You need to find her if she has one but most do treat that will get her past her fears & time/
I have found a few things that she likes, but nothing that she wants bad enough to risk getting near me, unless it is through the bars on her terms. I just fed her through the cage bars. What really bothers me is the psychological damage that this isolation must be doing to her. She is a flock animal that needs to form bonds.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Don't give up. Sooner or later the light bulb in her brain will turn on and she will accept you as a friend. Continue to sit with her, talk to her, eat something yummy next to her. Sending positive thoughts that Mango will accept you and want to be friends.
Thanks! I will continue doing that.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Yes, on a much lighter note, I put Worldly Cuisine soft food in Gigi's cage for 22 days before she touched it. Then she did and has been eating it for a week. I thought she would only eat Roudybush pellets forever. I don't know what changed but it took patience (it felt pretty crazy to throw away the untouched food every single day) but it finally paid off.

I had a convo with one of my grandchildren today about how much we think our animals react as a result of our emotions. Fiona told me how sad her dog gets when one of the kids cries. I told her about how I was really sick one day, took my caiques out on to their play gym, and they were quiet and still while I napped next to them for 3 hours. So this is simplistic but could you maybe be more upbeat with Mango? You seem like such a kind person. You want so much for Mango to be happy. Maybe try to not show your disappointment or sadness in the situation. Act as if everything is fine and happy.
Yes, I have tried this some. I will continue to do so! I would be happy if she would at least learn to tolerate me without constantly doing the "go away" dance.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Yes, I have tried this some. I will continue to do so! I would be happy if she would at least learn to tolerate me without constantly doing the "go away" dance.
I'm still having a hard time picturing the go away dance. :shrug: I've only seen our dance to engage us.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What treats have you tried so far?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I'm still having a hard time picturing the go away dance. :shrug: I've only seen our dance to engage us.
I will get some video of it tomorrow and post it for you! I feel very confident that it has nothing to do with engaging. It clearly means, "Please go away!"

Last edited: