• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you do when you find a bird that you want to help?

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So I found a bird on cl that looks from the pics to be living outside in 110 degree heat (and we have had two giant dust storms in 18 hours). It is a patagonian conure. The owner is selling for an absurd amount. I texted the owner some questions and he replied in broken English that it is a 29 month old conure that he refers to as "she." When I asked if it is living outside, he replied that it can live outside or inside. The little bird is plucked and maybe has one perch and no toys in the pic. Food is in dog bowls on the cage bottom. The owner says he does not have time for the bird.

I cannot take another bird in. I suppose I should just move on and try to forget about it? What do people do in these situations?

Thanks!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Make an offer.

Find a friend who could take it.

Try to get him to take it to a rescue.

I don’t know!
There are 2 for sale here, one is $79 and the other is maybe $400.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes, I want to take it in and rehome it...maybe to someone on AA. :) I can send link to anyone who wants via message. I already have two rehomed parrots that I found on cl in similar conditions and with the other two I already had, plus the two rehomed parakeets, my hands are full!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to go with your gut. What would be the downsides of taking him in? What if you can't find a new home for him? You are very kind to consider this and I hope all works out for you and the Patagonian. That bird definitely needs a new home.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let us know what happens.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
You say 110 degree heat and dust storms. HMM Send the link. Sounds like AZ. How far are you from AR/LA?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I recently took in some young conures. What do you know of its current status, history, age, etc. Plucking is no issue to me.
Is she potty trained with a knowledge of basic commands? Do you know her medical status?
After quarantine, the conures could all live together in the "noise" room where their cages are open most of the day. They spend about an hour out daily in the rest of the house.
I have 2 budgies, 1 WCP, 1 Sun, 1 GCC, 1 IRN. The IRN lives by himself in a 14'×16' room and the door stays closed. This will be my last summer (maybe) to take in birds.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, they sound greedy so inform they they best take care & keep there investment alive. Can't sell a dead bird.

Make the offer but be careful as you have to protect your flock from disease.

If the fee s reasonable & you have a place for quarantine then try...if not you might just be gettin yourself in trouble.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
You have a good heart @rockybird :heart: CL breaks mine most of the time.

Please let us know what happens.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I am so happy to hear that you are taking action! Keep us posted!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You do have a good heart and this bird needs a better home for sure. I hope you heart does not get broken over this. Perhaps in the not too far away future we will see this poor bird in our re home section. Thanks so much for taking notice.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Well you know what happens at my house...oiy. I still think about that little naked maroon belly you posted that one time. I say go with what helps you sleep at night. I will post on my FB page for you as well. Lots of connections there. Let me know.

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you everyone! He is asking $600 with the cage. I offered $300 without the cage, noting it needed to go to the vet, and to meet in my town. No response. We did have a horrific storm yesterday, which tore the roofs off some buildings and flooded areas. I hope the bird is okay and that they brought it inside. Maybe I offered too little, but it seemed fair to me.

LSA-it is in AZ. The seller would not answer all my questions. I believe English is a second language.

I will send a follow-up text later today.

Webchirp, thank you!!! That would be so helpful!

Last edited: