• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you do when you find a bird that you want to help?

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks Hjarta5. That is a really good point. My plan was to meet him in a city, away from my house, and pay cash. He did answer two of my texts, but with poor english. If I dont hear back again, I guess I’ll assume he sold it, or it is a scam. It occured to me that maybe he thinks I am flipping the bird or a breeder, so I sent a pic of my caique in his cage in case that helps. I also told him it would be a pet, live indoors, and get good vet care.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Offer seems fair esp if plucked. Not sure how much they go for but vet will add least $200.

It starts to add up & would have to see the bird. Public place is best but you will not be able to really judge much personality in that setting.

Maybe they don;t leave it out all the time. Maybe they care or maybe they do not in which case they would not care
if you flipped it only to the point that they could have gotten more.

There are good birds out there needing homes & certainly someone might want a more less common conure.

I suppose $600 would not be too bad if the cage was big enough & nice.

Just the uncertainty of the birds health & exposing your flock to it concerns me.

Hope it works out

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So many neglected birds out there, which absolutely breaks my heart. I have my antennae up on this listing, so please exercise care. If you do go and meet him, please have someone along with you!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you everyone!!! I’m starting to have second thoughts!!! They guy agreed to my offer, but wants me to drive out there. I will not do that by myself and not sure I can find someone to go with me right now. I was hoping he’d meet in the middle at a public place.

The cage I have sitting empty is too big to get into a doorway to quarantine the bird in a back room. The side of the house where I would quarantine the bird is a mess right now because I am doing two additions to the house. One is a garage/ bird room and I was just told by the contractor an hour ago to clear out the two rooms so they can start demolition. They started bulldozing today. I am not sure where to quarantine it.

I cant leave this bird but I cant take it either. I am willing to pay the 300...we just need a place for him to live a happy life. He/she is only 2 years old (or so says the owner).

Any advice or thoughts?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Drive out there, but go to the nearest fast food place or gas station. I always feel like gas stations are better, people are on high alert there!

Even if he isn't able to drive he should be able to get there. Otherwise ~~ to dangerous.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He wants you to go to his house?

I've done it in the past but to tell you the truth in these days it could be dangerous.

I'd want a copy off his drivers license at least if you went & to have it on hand where it could be found if you never returned or got hurt. You just never know the things people do to lure people in.

If you can get him to meet in a parking lot locally it would be OK. Still you would have to be set up to get the bird to the person who would be willing to foster.

2 is young but you can never be sure of that.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Ok I think I found the ad, that cage is rusty and horrible. The bird looks in tough shape, if I'm on the right ad.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are there any people you trust to go with you? I would if I lived near you. You can always do a quick background check on this person for more peace of mind. Any bird rescues near you where you could find a volunteer to accompany you?

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi everyone. I’m sorry for the late update. I have been at the dealership negotiating for a new car all day! LOL I kept stepping away to text the seller about the bird and Ginger (see below).

Anyway, I contacted Ginger’s Parrot Rescue and explained the situation. She also saw webchirp’s fb post. She did not want to wait until I could get out there, because she feared for it’s health and survival, so she drove with her husband to get the bird tonight. It was a long drive. She is an angel!!! She texted that the conditions were horrid and that another bird died from the heat. The conure is safe with her now. It is not tame, though. I gave her $300 for the bird plus $200 donation to help with costs. The bird will see a vet.

I want to say THANK YOU to everyone for their amazing support and caring. Thank goodness this little guy has a chance now at a life without suffering. :)

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's amazing!! Thank you for coordinating its rescue :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for helping the conure. So kind and generous of you. Great that you were able to contact a rescue to take her.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How wonderful! I’m so glad the poor bird will be cared for properly now, thanks to you!
:yourock:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wow!!!! Amazing rescue & thank you & Ginger for being that birds angel!

So how many did he have? One died in the heat...

Any left? Call the authorities now that you have the address.

We can't help them all but you made a big difference in this birds life!!!!

:smileflower:

Last edited:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Thanks for taking care of her. Are you familiar with Pats? They're so sweet! I'm glad you chose to contact a rescue. No doubt, the rescue knows what a prize you bought it and the sweet Pat will now get to mingle with other conures and maybe even another Pat. Thanks, again, for caring!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. This fella/lady just got a chance to not only survive but actually live, thanks to your caring and generosity.