• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you do when you find a bird that you want to help?

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@rockybird thank you so much for doing what you could to help that poor baby.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@rockybird You are amazing! This bird will eventually heal the many scars from such a horrid situation. One of the lucky ones to have been saved. I hope this person never gets another bird to mistreat.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
:yes4: You are a hero!!!! Thank you so, so much for helping rescue this conure!!! :heart2: You are truly a guardian angel. :angel3:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@rockybird We save them one at a time - but, you do more than your share. So glad the little guy has a chance now.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What an angel you are rocky bird!

Last edited:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Here's more of the Patagonia's rescue story, for those interested: Ginger's Parrot Rescue - Photos | Facebook

"I was contacted yesterday by a wonderful woman on Facebook that found out about this bird that was in need of a home. He was being kept outside in this horrible heat. Just looking at the photo of him breaks your heart. The woman found him on Craigslist for sale. She agreed to purchase him and pay for his vet exam if someone would just take him in. Many rescues were willing, but out of state, so when I got the call I responded with a resounding YES! I dropped everything and took the 90 minute drive to pick him up last night. I wasn't prepared for the entire story of his plight. This poor soul was the remaining parrot that was owned by a family that purchased him and another parrot from a Bird Mart a couple months ago. Oh, how I hate Bird Marts where birds are sold! If you have money you can buy a bird, no questions asked. So, the family bought him and another smaller parrot, brought them home, got some beat up cages somewhere and Walmart Parrot food to begin their journey as new parrot owners. Ugh! I hate this scenario. It is typical! Then, or course the birds made noise. They were loud. The wife hated it. So, out to the patio they went to live their lives. One didn't make it. It died from the heat last week. It was then that the family decided to rehome the remaining living bird, this Patagonian Conure. Until you are standing face-to-face with someone and listen to this type of story you don't know the strength it takes to not react. Because the reaction would have meant I probably would not have been allowed to leave with the bird. It took everything I had not to say anything, and just do my utmost best to hide my feelings, gather up the bird and his crappy food and get out of there. That is when I was able to react. That is when I was able to cry out for the injustice and the sorrow for the bird that had died in the god awful Arizona heat last week. What a terrible death. Oh, the horror!!! My heart aches for the suffering of that poor little parrot. After arriving back at the rescue I was able to give him the clean water he deserved, the nutritious food he so needed and the safety of a cage out of the heat. He is able to rest. Finally. He will get a clean cage. He will get toys. He will get perches. All the things he's never had. And, he will get attention and love, and hopefully a new loving adoptive family. He will have one more scary journey to the vet for a much needed exam. After that his new life begins."

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is so wonderful!! Reminds me of Sydney's plight in so many ways.
Wish I could give this remarkable woman a huge hug, and @rockybird, too! Thank you again for caring! :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:sad7:Oh god what an awful scenario! Thank you again for saving this birds life, and thanks to Ginger also!:heart2:
I hope we get updates on the birds situation. I want to hear about him going to a loving home and getting spoiled rotten!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
The heat was almost unbearable almost 116...Never felt such heat & I was only out in it for a hour or under at a time. Had to dip back inside for some relief.
Can't imagine even in the shade!

:sorrow:

Its unthinkable someone would do that.
Its animal cruelty. :extremeanger:
I don't think or I hope they won't be tempted to get any more birds.
No justice for the one that was lost sadly...

:tmsmakesme:

The plight some animals go thru & birds have more than there share as they are misunderstood & not domesticated like cats & dogs. Some animals live better than some people. Still there are those that are not as fortunate...

I hope the Pat checks out OK & no permanent damage from his stay at Casa Heck!

:mad2:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
He is still listed on CL.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I want her!!! I'm planning a trip out west (Utah) for Christmas. That may seem like forever away but hopefully is not! Plus, there are other options.
I went onto FB, called and left a VM at Ginger's. Hopefully, we can work something out when they call back.
Thanks to you for opening this possibilty!!! Without your quick work, there wouldn't even be the possibility!!! Again, thanks!!!:heart:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks everyone! Ginger texted a picture of him last night in a very big clean cage with variety of perches. She said he was very scared. It will take time, but if he is anything like the little clown of a patagonian conure I saw at Oasis, he will be a very interactive pet someday. That little girl at Oasis was something else. As soon as she saw me, she was doing somersaults, throwing toys and food bowls around, just being a silly clown to get my attention. It was so funny and endearing.