• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We found a Sun Conure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I would have placed the age of the poster of the email as 5th through 8th grade (or an equivilent level of education). It is basicly correct but with out the sophistication aquired in a high school writing class (I assume they still have those). Also it may well have been written hurridly to escape detection if it was a child/teen. And now days with all the computer education I would assume a 4th or 5th grader and possibly younger would know or be able to figure out how to set up an email account and then delete it.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'd say young kids would know how to do the yahoo email things, more so than some adults. I know my kids were able to set up hotmail accounts, msn, MySpace etc from a young age. They for sure didn't ask for my help to do it, they just did it.

A child of 12-15 could be capable of this level of writing and even a school child of 18 is still under a parent's control. IF the dad really is the bully described, even an 18 yr old could feel dominated & powerless. Though misguided, she may have felt releasing it was the only power she had. I'm not saying you aren't right. You might very well be right. But IMO I think a child is capable of composing that email & would have no trouble creating & deleting an email account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't understand if the child let the bird go, why would he put it on Parrot Alert? Or I am missing something...
Guilt? Or as a possible way of contacting whoever found Guy, to find out if he ever found a safe haven & to ask that Guy be cared for? Perhaps the child told her mum it escaped and the mum did the listing, since she didn't know the release was intentional, or at least not at first? Or perhaps you are right to doubt the story, who knows? I find it more unlikey that an adult would intentionally release a bird and then that same adult would put up a parrot alert listing for it. For what purpose? It would be nice to know the truth, but we will likely never know and all is just speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
The grammer in that letter was pretty bad along with the spelling. It could be that this kid doesn't go to school and is just in a bad situation overall. I wouldn't think a child in a bad situation would have an expensive pet. But there is no saying that the Father isn't abusive or short fused.

The missing toe is what they said and in the found add that was not mentioned.

Either way, the whole thing to me is believable by the letter, and just overall so darn sad.

Daisy_G2

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I don't understand if the child let the bird go, why would he put it on Parrot Alert? Or I am missing something...
They didn't put it on Parrot Alert. That was someone else who posted a Lost sun conure ad on another Oklahoma ad site.

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Emily, your post about traumatized birds gave me the shivers... I know Aristotle does "angry talk" when someone is trying to get him off my shoulder and he doesn't want to go. I told my kids that while it may seem funny, it is not. If they make him do something he doesn't want to do, he will bite and never trust them. I taught them his body language and that patience pays off. Either way, I feel bad for this little guy..

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Good for you for teaching your kids! I wish more adults would do so. Even Cah'ya, my Ekkie who came to me as a baby and has never been even slightly mistreated, knows the difference between what I say when I'm frustrated with her and what I say when I am not. Whenever she would bully the other birds, I would say, "Cah'ya, why you gotta be such a brat?" or "Oh, stop being such a b**** to everyone else." I always said this is a good humored tone of voice--more chiding than actual anger.

But one day, she was playing with her trash can toy in her cage. She had discovered a few weeks prior that her voice sounds different in the trash can than outside of it, so she had been spending a lot of time saying something in the can and then saying it again out of the can. All of the sudden, she put her head in the trash can and in this angry demon voice she said, "WHY YOU GOTTA BE SUCH A BRAT, CAH'YA!" Then she pulled her head out and in a sweet voice said, "I love you, Cah'ya!" Then she put her head back in and in that same angry demon voice she said, "QUIT BEING SUCH A B****, CAH'YA!" Then she pulled her head out and in a sweet voice said, "You're so beautiful, Cah'ya!" She did that for several minutes, saying the scolding things I'd said to her in the past in a really angry, ugly voice in the trash can, and then saying the sweet things I've said to her out of the trash can in a sweet, loving tone. Like I said, I have never used such an ugly tone of voice with her, but she knew the different, anyway.

On one hand, it made me laugh so hard I was in tears, but on the other hand, it made me really sad, because that's how she was perceiving my scoldings, and it was a real wake up call that these birds understand a LOT more than we give them credit for. They internalize their caretakers' emotions, just like human children do. So if Cah'ya, who has only ever known love, can be that affected by those super minor negative experiences, imagine how affected these birds are who are in abusive situations. It makes me cry just thinking about it.

mego634

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Megan
sorry guys, i have to work 2 jobs on some days and its hard to keep up. when my neice was 7, she is the one that taught me how to use facebook. My boyfriends 13 yo son built his own computer, it has 6 processors. I dont even know what that means. Im sure that it was a child. simply because I cannot sleep at night thinking about the e mail they wrote....I am horrified.
On to better things i do not want to cry over this again :-(
Guy is just not a happy bird. I dont blame him he screams 16 hours a day. he was wuiet for a while when we put him in a bigger cage with toys, but that did not last long, he throws his food, toys yells "shut-up stupid" when clifford talks.....He eats well, plays well and loves the toddler cd that Joe bought for him.
There is a sweet bird somewhere under all that mess. Im positave that he is hostile because hostility is all that he knows. When row row row your boat is on the radis, he switches to a completley different personality, calm, happy, even loving. It is very hard for me to decide wether to give him to someone that is more suitable for him or to keep him myself. I am still batteling with that.
There are a few interested parties that would scoop him up in a heartbeat, but I still feel obligated to love him and make sure is is happy for the rest of his life.
Its very hard.
I do appreciate everyone's support in this. you all have been amazing. xoxo

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
:hug8::hug8:

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
My sun came from a home where the husband was mean to him while the wife was at work, he does talk. He is afraid of the dustbuster vacuum and when we use it real quick to sweep up the seed on the floor he will scream "GOOD BIRDIE!" in a frightened voice almost as if he is saying "I'm a good bird please don't hurt me!". I had two little kids I was watching for a friend over today, it was hard to explain to them that Ziggy wasn't mean just scared and that's why they can't pet him as he may bite them. The kids freaked him out and he bit me in front of them and then gave them a look as if to say come any closer and I'll bite. They played with Sydney instead, who was super tired tonight as they kept taking turns holding and scritching her.

mego634

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Megan
Guy's debut.....

As you can tell he is super shy, this is the only picture i got because he Just kept hiding. I tried to tell him that he would be able to hide better behind a toy, but he wouldnt listen. At least he did not try to kill me this morning!!!! \
progress.....
Hes so pretty isnt he? I'm pretty sure hes is Jenday or sunday....what do you think? I also tried to get a picture of the missing toe but was afraid if I got any closer he would scoot his way right off of his perch!

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky

Christina71

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christina
Awe, looks like he wants to hide behind the perch. He really is pretty, I don't think I've seen one with that much red/ orange and less yellow before.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Wow! He is really red. :shocked6: He looks like a red factor sun, to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.