• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We found a Sun Conure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mego634

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Megan
I was doing some yardwork this weekend and stopped to sit for a second (its hard work lol). Clifford screams when he sees me and I am not paying attention to him. all of the sudden this little sun came and landed on my front porch, looked at me then flew into the house to Clifford's cage.
um......
I guess he/she was attracted to his calls, and was STARVING. there was some apple on Clifford's playstand that he devoured in 14 seconds, so I gave him some pellets and other yummies to eat. At the moment I only have a very very small cage for him/her and there is NO WAY that I can keep it.
We have hung flyers around the hood and called all the vets nearby, but nothing. I suspect that someone just let it out because it is a very LOUD bird. Suns are all like that, but this one is constant. It has not stopped screaming. I am afraid someone abandoned it :-(
He/she is not cuddly, doesnt step up, and BITES. Maybe because he is scared, but I honestly think that this is its personality.
I do not know what to do. I want to keep it and give it a good home, But Clifford hates it and lunges at it and trys ti kill it.
Poor little thing all it needs is some tlc. But with Clifford, the budgies, Bongo coming home soon and vet bills, I just do not think I can take it on right now. I have Him in another room in case he is ill to avoid the others catching anything. If anoyne knows of any ideas to find his home, or anyone knows of any potential sun owners (that wouldnt mind working with the little guy) please let me know. I dont want to give him to just anyone, as he already has some serious personality issues that i think may be psycological.

thanks, ill try and get pics up this week.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Wow, what are the odds? Have their been any storms that could have caused his release? Poor little guy, they are such beautiful birds.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Aw, poor guy. I would take him to get a wellness check if you can, if he is ill he might go downhill very very fast. Good luck on finding him a home.

mego634

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Megan
The vet said that she will gice him a once over for free, of course I will have to pay for blood tests if I want them, I can take $ out of the other birds vet fund for this, but I am nervous about doing that.....I'll take him in this week for the once over and if she thinks he needs bloodwork then....we will see about that when it happens. he looks good, He is DIRTY, but his feahters look ok and his beak looks ok....

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Does he have a band that you might be able to trace back to the breeder? Have you done a parrot alert and checked parrot alert and craigslist lost ads? He's probably too tiny to have a microchip, but it's not impossible. The vet should scan him during the eval. The poor guy.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Aww, poor baby. Yep get him/her into the vet and see if you can get some handfeeding formula either by spoon or cup. If they don't get enough food/constant, their little GI systems can shut down. :hug8:

mego634

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Megan
I tried to give him a bowl of water and he tried to kill me. i can only convince him that i come in peace if i have food. lol poor thing is probably really scared, he is taking baby food by the jar and fruits and veggies good, also dunking his pellets and eating them. I think he was out for a long while....

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Poor little guy. It seems that a lot of people adopt suns because of their looks (and really, does a more beautiful bird exist?), and don't think about/educate themselves about the noise factor.

Is there a rescue in your area that you could contact?

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Poor little guy. It seems that a lot of people adopt suns because of their looks (and really, does a more beautiful bird exist?), and don't think about/educate themselves about the noise factor.

Is there a rescue in your area that you could contact?
Unfortunately that is so true. My Kiwi was 4 months (and advertised as free) old when her owner decided he was "moving" and couldn't take her. But he wouldn't allow her stainless steel cage to go with her which leads me to believe he was getting another bird or selling it to recoup his money. Which is totally fine with me but it was a "oh look how pretty she is" type of buy :( She is happy as a lark here even though sometimes I want to poke my eyes out when she goes on a screaming rant! I couldn't ask for a better bird though :heart:

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Megan, if you can't find a home for him closer to you, and you can't find a rescue in your area, contact Wings of Love Bird Haven. If De at Bird Haven can't take him, let me know and I'll place him in our foster/rescue program here in Austin. We'd have to meet half way, though (which is basically Dallas). Would you be able to do that? I'd like you to think of us as your last resort, but I am happy to be your safety net if you've run out of all other options.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a lucky bird to fly into your home! Have you checked CL or Parrot 911?

mego634

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Megan
Megan, if you can't find a home for him closer to you, and you can't find a rescue in your area, contact Wings of Love Bird Haven. If De at Bird Haven can't take him, let me know and I'll place him in our foster/rescue program here in Austin. We'd have to meet half way, though (which is basically Dallas). Would you be able to do that? I'd like you to think of us as your last resort, but I am happy to be your safety net if you've run out of all other options.
Thank you, I will try everything to get him somewhere close. in the mean time if I dont fall in love with him (that tends to happen a lot) He will be very well taken care of at my house. I just feel so bad for the little guy :-(

mego634

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Megan
We have been wanting to take a trip to dallas anyway.....I'll see, if we can't find him somewhere here, if we can plan a trip soon, thank you so much! Can you send me some info? I know you are probably reputable, but just in case ;-)

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
We don't have much in the way of info because we originally never intended to be a rescue group, but just a parrot society providing information, education, resources, and community. But people kept bringing birds to us, so we ended up becoming an accidental rescue group. We are working on getting our 501(c)3, but it will be a while before we get it. We don't even have a building, which means we don't bring birds to a specific location. Rather, we are just a network of foster homes. The board members then field all potential fosters and adopters by requiring them to fill out an application, undergo a home check, and then sign a contract. Here are the adoption FAQs: Adoption FAQs - Austin Parrot Society (Austin, TX) - Meetup
You can also see the foster FAQs on the same message board, but they're very similar to the adoption ones. I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have. The link to our mail website is in my signature below.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Please go to the Oaklahoma City Super Ads. Someone has lost a Sun Conure on 4/9 my neighbor just told me. They posted an ad that came up under for sale stuff. The say email them if you spot their bird. I sent an email to reply to me with their phone number. Did this just a minute ago!:heart:
Katherine

mego634

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Megan
Please go to the Oaklahoma City Super Ads. Someone has lost a Sun Conure on 4/9 my neighbor just told me. They posted an ad that came up under for sale stuff. The say email them if you spot their bird. I sent an email to reply to me with their phone number. Did this just a minute ago!:heart:
Katherine
going now!!! thank you!!!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Hope it's their bird and there's a happy reunion!!

Glad this little one found you - no better place!!

Status
Not open for further replies.