• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wanting to get a bird. I have some questions

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Oh, that's a little disappointing lol. Is there a reason? Is it just because they don't want them in the U.S.? And I think I've finally settled on a bird I'm gonna get first. A Turquoise cinnamon green cheek conure or a Mint green cheek conure.
Most species of parrot can no longer be imported to the United States.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I want to do fly training with my bird when I get it. I was reading just to start with the "step up" or "up" command, and then gradually get farther and farther away to make it have to fly to get to your finger. And then start to do the command with the bird at different angles to get it used to being able to fly at steeper angles up and down. And then I want to try outside fly training using the same methods. But I've also read that they can get really disoriented and frightened outdoors, and that usually makes them fly up up and away.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I got in contact with my local vet and they have a vet there that focuses mainly on avians! And they also do beak and nail trimming there. The vet of course will help and look at other animals, but they said he really likes to work with birds.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I think to first start out, I'm going to make 2 different big batches of chop using just veggies and grains. For the first one I think I'm going to do Radish (and radish greens), Cilantro, Mint, Steamed kale, Green beans, Quinoa, and bell pepper. Then the second one is going to be Turmeric powder, Steamed spinach, Mache, Yellow banana pepper, Cayenne pepper (fresh), bean sprouts, and steel cut oats. And then I'm going to put those two into the freezer, but when I take them out I'll add 1-2 fruits fresh on top. And then for a gcc is 5 grams of chop once in the morning and once at night enough? Plus 5 grams of pellets and 5 grams of goldenfeast. And also a little snack for lunch?

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Maybe a combination of Mung, quinoa, and lentil sprouts for one of the chops? And then like once a month some plain greek yogurt for a snack/lunch? And then other than the yogurt some other once in a while snacks and some new fruits and veggies for it to try out and see if it likes it.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe a combination of Mung, quinoa, and lentil sprouts for one of the chops? And then like once a month some plain greek yogurt for a snack/lunch? And then other than the yogurt some other once in a while snacks and some new fruits and veggies for it to try out and see if it likes it.
I would include some vegetables with the sprouts. As for the yogurt, some people feed it sparingly and others not at all.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I would include some vegetables with the sprouts. As for the yogurt, some people feed it sparingly and others not at all.
I meant mix the sprouts in with the already existing chop recipe, sorry for the confusion lol. And I've read that dairy can be really bad for birds, but that yogurt has really good bacteria that helps their digestion a lot. Is once a month too much?

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I just took a what bird should I get test and it said I should get a cape parrot based on my daily lifestyle. I don't think it's very reliable but I'm just gonna put it out there. The test is called myrightbird.com. But cape parrots are really really expensive lol. So I don't think that would work out.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Actually it's a tie between a Cape parrot and a Red bellied parrot.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Actually it's a tie between a Cape parrot and a Red bellied parrot.
Those are both very nice species, however cape parrots are not easy to find.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Those are both very nice species, however cape parrots are not easy to find.
I know, and the ones I found are at the upwards price of 4000 dollars lol. But I went through again and a Meyers parrot also tied. Those are all of the Poicephalus the test had. Some I'm guessing they're all roughly the same temperament. Do they eat the same as conures?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My dad had an old saying "I want, can't have". I'd suggest you volunteer at a couple of rescues, vet offices or visit any places near you that have birds. Work there, clean cages, get bitten, prepare chop, prepare veggies/fruit & clean it all up, get pooped on, have your favourite shirts chewed up and repeat. Comb poop out of your hair, scrape poop off your t-shirts, jeans and shoes. Go almost deaf from a roomful of parrots freaking out. Also plan how/what you'll do with your parrot when/if you go to college, uni or armed forces. Also check your area for an avian certified vet and find out what the charges are for a regular avian physical - then tests - then treatment - then meds (and administering the meds).

Then come back and tell me which parrot you want and how you are going to provide for it. Remember: No smoking, no aerosols, no candles of any type, no chemical cleaning products, no non-stick pans and remember - No avocado, no onion, no caffeine, no alcohol (of any kind)and I'm sure I've forgotten some things. As for free flying your bird, are you really willing to risk not only your bird's life but the $ you've invested in it, only to watch it fly away when spooked or worse yet, taken out by a flying predator?

This is just PART of the reality of living with a parrot.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
My dad had an old saying "I want, can't have". I'd suggest you volunteer at a couple of rescues, vet offices or visit any places near you that have birds. Work there, clean cages, get bitten, prepare chop, prepare veggies/fruit & clean it all up, get pooped on, have your favourite shirts chewed up and repeat. Comb poop out of your hair, scrape poop off your t-shirts, jeans and shoes. Go almost deaf from a roomful of parrots freaking out. Also plan how/what you'll do with your parrot when/if you go to college, uni or armed forces. Also check your area for an avian certified vet and find out what the charges are for a regular avian physical - then tests - then treatment - then meds (and administering the meds).

Then come back and tell me which parrot you want and how you are going to provide for it. Remember: No smoking, no aerosols, no candles of any type, no chemical cleaning products, no non-stick pans and remember - No avocado, no onion, no caffeine, no alcohol (of any kind)and I'm sure I've forgotten some things. As for free flying your bird, are you really willing to risk not only your bird's life but the $ you've invested in it, only to watch it fly away when spooked or worse yet, taken out by a flying predator?

This is just PART of the reality of living with a parrot.
I'm actually taking a Vet assistant class at my school right now and I get to go and help out at the vet clinic up the street. And I've been pooped on more than a hand full of times by my chickens while cleaning out the coop. I've been bitten a couple times by my mothers old Cockatiel, and it is not very fun lol. I've never had to comb poop out of my hair yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll get there sometime. I've had to get poo off my clothes before because of the chicken coop thing also. My mother said if I decide to go to college out of state, and I can't take a bird, she'll take care of it while I'm at school, and I'll come back during the breaks. But I plan on going to college in the city I live in because it has all the courses I need to go into the career field I want. Nobody smokes in the house, rarely spray an aerosol (only when the bathroom stinks lol), we only have one candle and it hasn't been lit in several years. The cleaning products and pans are a big thing though. And I didn't really explain what I meant by free flying. I meant just for it to be able to fly well. And maybe to a tree and back to me while we're outside. Just mainly so if it flies off I can get it back to me before anything bad happens.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
You seem to be looking at birds in the small to medium size range so there are some things you can do before deciding which bird to get. A cage with 1/2-5/8" bar spacing, perches, some toys, play stand for out of cage time can all be purchased ahead of time.

Since you aren't set on any specific species I think you should just let your mind remain open to that, and just meet birds until the right one comes along. The Old World species and New World ones can be rather different in how they think and express themselves emotionally. And yes, conures can be quite loud and vocalize often. The African birds can also vocalize often but they don't usually hit the same volumes. Some "conures" like Nandays are probably actually macaws. They can screech to beat the band!

As for how any two birds get along, you won't know until you have them. And bird one may be jealous for a very long time but then eventually get along fine with bird two. And maybe they will never get along.

As for free flying, it makes me very, very nervous but there are people who do it. Personally if I took them out to fly I would use a well fitting harness and lead just to be safer.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Colt, slow down. Lol.
First, nanday/painted won’t be a good combination. Nandays are grumpy birds and it’s not uncommon for them to be aggressive with smaller birds. Look at a sun or green cheek.

Second, birds need to forage all day. Make sure they have forage opportunity with all that weighing you’re doing. Keep in mind that birds drop a lot of food and triple your measurements or your birds will not get enough to eat.

Never buy a species because of color, ever. We all want pretty birds but the temperament, noise level, time required, diet requirements and how they will integrate into a flock HAVE to be the priority. Find the right species then look at color mutations but if that normal green GCC has the superior temperament and immediately loves you, don’t blow that off in favor of color.

Conures, IMHO do not make good aviary birds. Conures are PETS. They want to be where the action is 24/7.

Yes, you have to worry about illness with exposure to wild birds especially if you have any chicken farms nearby. When the Wren’s decide to nest in the eaves of the aviary and bring their mite infestation it’s ever so fun.....NOT.

You also have to worry about opossums and raccoons and mice and rats and neighbors cats and hawks and eagles and owls and crows. Even a dog barking at them can frighten them to death.

Conures love to hang on the sides of cages and while I know some people do it, galvanized metal can cause zinc toxicity if you have a bar chewer so plan on a huge expense for stainless or powder coated wire or live with the risk. And don’t assume that any bird kept in an aviary will be the cuddly bird you see on YouTube.

Other things you need to consider:

Are you going to live at home when you graduate high school or go away to attend college? If you’ll be moving away, are your parents going to assume responsibility for your birds? If so, count on them becoming your parent’s birds because your relationship with them WILL change. But as your parents seem to be only in on birds being outside, I wouldn’t count on them maintaining the tame aspect.

When you move out, are you going to end up in an apartment? If so, wipe every Conure off your list or you’ll be re homing them because your neighbors complain about the screaming. That said, if your parents aren’t hot on the idea of a bird, a nanday isn’t going to be a welcomed addition. The first time it does a full minute of contact calls, they’ll likely want it out of the house.

Keep in mind you are talking about a 40 year commitment with a nanday if properly cared for and up to 30 years with the smaller conures.

Every aspect of your life from that day forward has to include what to do about the bird. And as stated earlier, is your mom going to stop using her favorite cleaners? If she’s using Teflon will she drop $500-$1000 for new stainless cookware? No more scented candles or febreeze or metal figurines. No more house plants of many varieties. Are your curtain rods metal? What metal are they? Are they painted with enamel? Time for wooden rods. Big open windows or French doors? Have to be covered when the birds are out.

In addition to going and visiting rescues, and breeders, have your parents visit them. Let them get bitten and pooped on.

Colt, YOU need a budgie from a good breeder. Something small and innocuous that when it makes noise it’s soothing and when it bites you don’t need sutures and is only going to live 10 years. They talk better than most conures, are just as playful and cuddly, wont destroy your house and can sit in your shirt pocket while you do your homework. They are also excellent aviary birds. Your parents may be more amenable to that.

And finally, if your parents are NOT 100% on board with a parrot INSIDE the house, do not get one. Period.

Last edited:

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
And P. S. Having never owned a bird, I do hope you are planning on having a professional work with it for flight recall. Skyy will fly to me from any room in the house even if she can’t see me. That didn’t stop her from sitting in a tree for 40 hours though. She got up so high she was afraid to fly down.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Colt, slow down. Lol.
First, nanday/painted won’t be a good combination. Nandays are grumpy birds and it’s not uncommon for them to be aggressive with smaller birds. Look at a sun or green cheek.

Second, birds need to forage all day. Make sure they have forage opportunity with all that weighing you’re doing. Keep in mind that birds drop a lot of food and triple your measurements or your birds will not get enough to eat.

Never buy a species because of color, ever. We all want pretty birds but the temperament, noise level, time required, diet requirements and how they will integrate into a flock HAVE to be the priority. Find the right species then look at color mutations but if that normal green GCC has the superior temperament and immediately loves you, don’t blow that off in favor of color.

Conures, IMHO do not make good aviary birds. Conures are PETS. They want to be where the action is 24/7.

Yes, you have to worry about illness with exposure to wild birds especially if you have any chicken farms nearby. When the Wren’s decide to nest in the eaves of the aviary and bring their mite infestation it’s ever so fun.....NOT.

You also have to worry about opossums and raccoons and mice and rats and neighbors cats and hawks and eagles and owls and crows. Even a dog barking at them can frighten them to death.

Conures love to hang on the sides of cages and while I know some people do it, galvanized metal can cause zinc toxicity if you have a bar chewer so plan on a huge expense for stainless or powder coated wire or live with the risk. And don’t assume that any bird kept in an aviary will be the cuddly bird you see on YouTube.

Other things you need to consider:

Are you going to live at home when you graduate high school or go away to attend college? If you’ll be moving away, are your parents going to assume responsibility for your birds? If so, count on them becoming your parent’s birds because your relationship with them WILL change. But as your parents seem to be only in on birds being outside, I wouldn’t count on them maintaining the tame aspect.

When you move out, are you going to end up in an apartment? If so, wipe every Conure off your list or you’ll be re homing them because your neighbors complain about the screaming. That said, if your parents aren’t hot on the idea of a bird, a nanday isn’t going to be a welcomed addition. The first time it does a full minute of contact calls, they’ll likely want it out of the house.

Keep in mind you are talking about a 40 year commitment with a nanday if properly cared for and up to 30 years with the smaller conures.

Every aspect of your life from that day forward has to include what to do about the bird. And as stated earlier, is your mom going to stop using her favorite cleaners? If she’s using Teflon will she drop $500-$1000 for new stainless cookware? No more scented candles or febreeze or metal figurines. No more house plants of many varieties. Are your curtain rods metal? What metal are they? Are they painted with enamel? Time for wooden rods. Big open windows or French doors? Have to be covered when the birds are out.

In addition to going and visiting rescues, and breeders, have your parents visit them. Let them get bitten and pooped on.

Colt, YOU need a budgie from a good breeder. Something small and innocuous that when it makes noise it’s soothing and when it bites you don’t need sutures and is only going to live 10 years. They talk better than most conures, are just as playful and cuddly, wont destroy your house and can sit in your shirt pocket while you do your homework. They are also excellent aviary birds. Your parents may be more amenable to that.

And finally, if your parents are NOT 100% on board with a parrot INSIDE the house, do not get one. Period.
My parents are 100% along with me getting it. With the aviary idea I was just thinking for the day while I'm not home, not constantly outside. I'm planning on living at our spare/rent house, so it will be just me and maybe a friend to help pay rent to my parents. My parents also said they will take care of the bird if I do have to go out of state, but I really don't plan on it. It's a house not an apartment, so I won't have to worry about complaining neighbors lol. And I do have a plan for long lived bird. I'll ask to see if she'll drop some cleaner, she has some 5-6 year old non-stick pans but she's thinking of getting new pans, and I'll ask her if she'll just get normal stainless steel. The only candle we use sometimes is a scentsy, but my dad is allergic to them so we don't use it often. Yes the curtain rods are metal, and I don't know. I know the one in my room is brass. All the windows in the house are relatively big. My parents have lived the exact same way I am living right now (always had animals to clean up after, gotten pooped on. My dad has even had to get surgery from a rooster attack). My parents are actually trying to convince me to get a budgie to start out lol.

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
I got my bird Cecil, a turquoise green cheek conure in July and he is my first bird. I waited until after I graduated college and had a well paying job before getting him. I did a lot of research on birds, as I've wanted one since I was in elementary school. I decided on him, and bought him without giving much thought on what I thought was a small beak injury that would heal over.

His injury was pretty bad and required multiple xrays, his wings were clipped way to short, and he has cost a little over 1000 dollars between him, his cage, all of his food and toys, as well as his vet bills. The vet gave an estimate to when he would be able to fly, and he estimated 18 months.

I'm sharing all of this because although I did my research, he is nothing like I expected or anticipated. He cost more initially than I expected him to, he was cheap, 200 dollars, but his vet care exceeded 500 in the first two months. He doesn't like to be touched, he isn't cuddly, he screams loudly when he wants to, he throws food, poops everywhere, he has bitten us to where we have bled.

But honestly I am so incredibly happy with the decision I made, he is a joy in my life. He learned to step up, and most of the time he is willing to. We've become better at avoiding being bitten and he has begun biting less, we love giving him baths, he has started to preen us and sit on our shoulders without attacking our hands when getting him down, he learns quickly and loves spending time with us.

I'm telling you this because you should do your research, and research in depth about which species you would consider. But what you choose may not turn out the way you expect. Their personalities might be different, they may have surprise costs, and they could be more than you expected.

Your responsibility to the bird is extremely important, we are why the exist as pets, and if you aren't prepared for all the responsibility of owning a bird, then it is at their detriment. If you end up going to college and not being able to care for them, will your family put in the same work to keep it happy and healthy? If you move to an apartment will they allow a bird that can be very loud? I understand you plan on renting with friends at a house, but plans change and friends don't always stay. That bird is going to depend on you for everything, and even if your plans change your bird deserves the best possible.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I got my bird Cecil, a turquoise green cheek conure in July and he is my first bird. I waited until after I graduated college and had a well paying job before getting him. I did a lot of research on birds, as I've wanted one since I was in elementary school. I decided on him, and bought him without giving much thought on what I thought was a small beak injury that would heal over.

His injury was pretty bad and required multiple xrays, his wings were clipped way to short, and he has cost a little over 1000 dollars between him, his cage, all of his food and toys, as well as his vet bills. The vet gave an estimate to when he would be able to fly, and he estimated 18 months.

I'm sharing all of this because although I did my research, he is nothing like I expected or anticipated. He cost more initially than I expected him to, he was cheap, 200 dollars, but his vet care exceeded 500 in the first two months. He doesn't like to be touched, he isn't cuddly, he screams loudly when he wants to, he throws food, poops everywhere, he has bitten us to where we have bled.

But honestly I am so incredibly happy with the decision I made, he is a joy in my life. He learned to step up, and most of the time he is willing to. We've become better at avoiding being bitten and he has begun biting less, we love giving him baths, he has started to preen us and sit on our shoulders without attacking our hands when getting him down, he learns quickly and loves spending time with us.

I'm telling you this because you should do your research, and research in depth about which species you would consider. But what you choose may not turn out the way you expect. Their personalities might be different, they may have surprise costs, and they could be more than you expected.

Your responsibility to the bird is extremely important, we are why the exist as pets, and if you aren't prepared for all the responsibility of owning a bird, then it is at their detriment. If you end up going to college and not being able to care for them, will your family put in the same work to keep it happy and healthy? If you move to an apartment will they allow a bird that can be very loud? I understand you plan on renting with friends at a house, but plans change and friends don't always stay. That bird is going to depend on you for everything, and even if your plans change your bird deserves the best possible.
I've been doing really in depth research on Meyers parrots and GCCs, as those 2 species seem to be the most likely for the time being. After I've found about Meyers parrots, they seem good for me. Or me in a couple years I should say. Going to school and working, I'm only going to be there 6-7 hours of the day. But I've been reading that Meyers have no problem being by themselves as long as they have loads and loads of toys. Obviously I'm not saying I'd just leave it to play constantly, but just while I'm gone it would be good. I'm going to save up at least 1300 dollars before I even consider buying a bird, due to surprise costs like you mentioned. And from what I've read so far Meyers aren't that loud of birds. They can screech a little, but it's not as bad as a cockatoo at least lol.