• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wanting to get a bird. I have some questions

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I'm going to start saving money right now (duh lol) and by next November (2019) I should have around $1000. And then the year after that maybe in July I'll have about $1400. Right now, because most places will only hire at 18 or older, I'm doing yard work for a couple neighbors and I'm getting $45 every week. I'm going to be putting $25 into savings every week. The reason why I'm just starting now is because I just got my newest tank done. Well it's not done completely, but I can finish it on $20 a week.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I feel like this thread is very misleading lol. It started out with me wanting to get a Painted and a Nanday, and I still do just not as my first bird. I don't know if there is a way to change the title and the placement of the thread, but if there is can someone let me know so I can do it?

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Seriously see if you can volunteer at a rescue so that you can hav first hand experience with many different species.

I do think budgies are overlooked as awesome little parrots. That said, I am not of the school of thought that people need to start off with smaller species.

While it doesn’t always end badly, I cringe when people get a particular species to “learn with” or because they “can’t afford” the species they really want or because their parents or bf or partner are only okay with something small. Craig’s List is full of birds being rehomed literally because they were a step off bird and the owner finally got their dream bird and no longer has time for the step off bird.

I’m not implying that you would ever do this but I don’t think anyone INTENDS for that to happen. This actually kind of happened with me. Skyy was not a species I’d ever had an interest in. She was offered to me by a bird store I frequent. She had been in the store 9 months and bit everyone that tried to handle her so they couldn’t sell her. They gave her to me so she wouldn’t spend her entire life as a store bird.

I WANTED a Macaw. I ended up with a Blue Crown. I love Skyy. I don’t regret her. I STILL want a Macaw but stick with smaller species because of Skyy. I feel obligated that I don’t bring in anything larger or louder or more colorful than she. I love that bird and her comfort is my primary concern. I’m too old now for a Macaw unless I adopt an aged bird as a bird that size will looong out live me.

Find your dream bird species , find a good breeder that will help you navigate the care. Start off with the bird you are dying to own and you’ll be happier in the end.

From 1-10 one being the most important 10 being the least, what qualities are you looking for? There may be species you haven’t thought of.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Seriously see if you can volunteer at a rescue so that you can hav first hand experience with many different species.

I do think budgies are overlooked as awesome little parrots. That said, I am not of the school of thought that people need to start off with smaller species.

While it doesn’t always end badly, I cringe when people get a particular species to “learn with” or because they “can’t afford” the species they really want or because their parents or bf or partner are only okay with something small. Craig’s List is full of birds being rehomed literally because they were a step off bird and the owner finally got their dream bird and no longer has time for the step off bird.

I’m not implying that you would ever do this but I don’t think anyone INTENDS for that to happen. This actually kind of happened with me. Skyy was not a species I’d ever had an interest in. She was offered to me by a bird store I frequent. She had been in the store 9 months and bit everyone that tried to handle her so they couldn’t sell her. They gave her to me so she wouldn’t spend her entire life as a store bird.

I WANTED a Macaw. I ended up with a Blue Crown. I love Skyy. I don’t regret her. I STILL want a Macaw but stick with smaller species because of Skyy. I feel obligated that I don’t bring in anything larger or louder or more colorful than she. I love that bird and her comfort is my primary concern. I’m too old now for a Macaw unless I adopt an aged bird as a bird that size will looong out live me.

Find your dream bird species , find a good breeder that will help you navigate the care. Start off with the bird you are dying to own and you’ll be happier in the end.

From 1-10 one being the most important 10 being the least, what qualities are you looking for? There may be species you haven’t thought of.
I was reading something about that. And I never intend for that to happen. Well as you said nobody actually intends to. But the qualities I'm looking for are 1. A bird that will love being around me. 2. Doesn't need constant attention from me. Can do its own thing (play by itself, entertain itself, etc.) for when I'm at work and school. 3. Is compatible with other animals. 4. Can handle Southern Utah weather. It will be inside most of the time, but it gets pretty dry here in the Summer. Even in the house. 5. Will be relatively nice to my friends and family. 6. Isn't too loud. I'm not really bothered by noise (unless I have a headache) but some of my friends and family might be bothered by it. 7. Can be in an aviary during the day. 8. I'm mainly looking at medium size parrots at the moment, so I guess around that size. 9. A bird I will be able to take around with me to places. 10. Can be harness trained. I don't care about messes really, because I have to clean up after a lot animals everyday anyway, so 1 more probably won't make a difference. And that's why I'm interested in Meyer's parrots, because they love to be around their owners, but they can entertain themselves. The come from the arid regions of Africa, so they can withstand dry climates. And they are also ok with other animals like dogs.

Last edited:

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
There are probably things I am forgetting in that list, but those are the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I don't know if there is a way to change the title and the placement of the thread, but if there is can someone let me know so I can do it?
What would you like it changed to?

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
What would you like it changed to?
Can I change it to "Wanting to get a bird. I have some questions." And then move it somewhere for just like general discussion if there is one. And thank you so much for helping me out.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I changed your title, and moved your thread.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I just figured out how to mess with the fonts lol. :D

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
My gcc is in an HQ wrought iron flight cage, which is 32x21x60 inches. I really like it and he has plenty of space to hop around and play with toys, and it's easy to fit things in and clean. Anything larger than a cockatiel I would think you'd need a larger cage then the ones you suggested, as the inner cage size dimensions is what is important.

Last edited:

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
To put it in perspective, the first cage is 23.9 lonh x 22 wide x 34.6 high. The second is 24 long x 22 wide x 37 high.

My cage is 32 x 21 x 35

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
To put it in perspective, the first cage is 23.9 lonh x 22 wide x 34.6 high. The second is 24 long x 22 wide x 37 high.

My cage is 32 x 21 x 35

Well, Looks like I need to find a bigger cage lol. :)

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
When I do buy the bird itself, I'm gonna call the breeder up north to she if she has any of the bird I want. Or I'll buy from Rainbowparrots.com. From everything I've read she sounds like a really good bird breeder.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I think I'm going to get the second cage. It is 37 in L x 23 in W x 48 in Tall.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I'm going to get the second cage. It is 37 in L x 23 in W x 48 in Tall.
Those bars are thin, IMO. My red-bellies are in Avian Adventures Chiquitas as well as a few other cages that are no longer available. The Chiquitas have worked out well for them even though they aren't the largest cages I could have purchased, but they are sturdy, have good bar gauge and have a removable play top. They are also easy to assemble and easy to clean. I have to consider bar gauge because Pois have strong beaks and thin bars are not good for them.
If you are considering Meyer's then you should also consider Senegals and red-bellied parrots.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Those bars are thin, IMO. My red-bellies are in Avian Adventures Chiquitas as well as a few other cages that are no longer available. The Chiquitas have worked out well for them even though they aren't the largest cages I could have purchased, but they are sturdy, have good bar gauge and have a removable play top. They are also easy to assemble and easy to clean. I have to consider bar gauge because Pois have strong beaks and thin bars are not good for them.
If you are considering Meyer's then you should also consider Senegals and red-bellied parrots.

I have looked into those two birds also, Red-bellied sticks out over Senegal, but Meyers beats them both. I don't know why, just every thing I read and every video I watch just draws me in closer to a Meyers. They just seem like the best birds in the world. I know that anyone would say that the bird species they like most is the best bird species, and that the bird I end up with will be completely different than the birds in the videos. And a really quick question, by doing the math, I've come to Meyers need 10 grams of veggies/fruit twice a day, but then I also learned that they will lose 45-50% of their food by tossing it. So would giving it 20 grams twice a day be too much? Because I was reading that you should get the math then double it to get the correct amount.