• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wanting to get a bird. I have some questions

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I got my bird Cecil, a turquoise green cheek conure in July and he is my first bird. I waited until after I graduated college and had a well paying job before getting him. I did a lot of research on birds, as I've wanted one since I was in elementary school. I decided on him, and bought him without giving much thought on what I thought was a small beak injury that would heal over.

His injury was pretty bad and required multiple xrays, his wings were clipped way to short, and he has cost a little over 1000 dollars between him, his cage, all of his food and toys, as well as his vet bills. The vet gave an estimate to when he would be able to fly, and he estimated 18 months.

I'm sharing all of this because although I did my research, he is nothing like I expected or anticipated. He cost more initially than I expected him to, he was cheap, 200 dollars, but his vet care exceeded 500 in the first two months. He doesn't like to be touched, he isn't cuddly, he screams loudly when he wants to, he throws food, poops everywhere, he has bitten us to where we have bled.

But honestly I am so incredibly happy with the decision I made, he is a joy in my life. He learned to step up, and most of the time he is willing to. We've become better at avoiding being bitten and he has begun biting less, we love giving him baths, he has started to preen us and sit on our shoulders without attacking our hands when getting him down, he learns quickly and loves spending time with us.

I'm telling you this because you should do your research, and research in depth about which species you would consider. But what you choose may not turn out the way you expect. Their personalities might be different, they may have surprise costs, and they could be more than you expected.

Your responsibility to the bird is extremely important, we are why the exist as pets, and if you aren't prepared for all the responsibility of owning a bird, then it is at their detriment. If you end up going to college and not being able to care for them, will your family put in the same work to keep it happy and healthy? If you move to an apartment will they allow a bird that can be very loud? I understand you plan on renting with friends at a house, but plans change and friends don't always stay. That bird is going to depend on you for everything, and even if your plans change your bird deserves the best possible.
Birds have personalities just like people do and with birds it isn't by species. I have 5 Quakers - 1 is blind -2 males in different cages - 2 females share a cage. None of them have the same behaviour or attitude. I hate to break this to you, but you might find that you'll flush a whole lot of reading down the toilet when you come to discover that the bird YOU like doesn't give a fig about what you think it should be doing. And it won't be pretty.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Birds have personalities just like people do and with birds it isn't by species. I have 5 Quakers - 1 is blind -2 males in different cages - 2 females share a cage. None of them have the same behaviour or attitude. I hate to break this to you, but you might find that you'll flush a whole lot of reading down the toilet when you come to discover that the bird YOU like doesn't give a fig about what you think it should be doing. And it won't be pretty.
Oh yes I know this. My friend has a pineapple GCC and a normal GCC. He brings the pineapple to school for Vet assistant, and it loves everyone. But he was telling me that his normal GCC only likes him, and if anyone else tries to touch him, he freaks out and tries to attack them. He also has an Indian Ringneck but he doesn't really talk about it, other than the fact that it knows how to talk really well.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I agree with Sandra K on them being individuals. Hence my previous post about choosing an individual rather than a species. All of the species you have mentioned are in the same general size range for cage choice so as I said you can get things like that ahead of time.

I did the same thing after my last budgie died and I wanted to try a larger parrot. I spent probably a year reading about researching species. I'm not sure it did me much good :) My two conures were night and day different, but of course I loved them both. Rowdy is still with me, but I lost my Blue Crowned at only 11 years old to a stroke.

The 3 birds I adopted after Briana died don't necessarily follow their species stereotypes either. I never thought I would want a wild caught male amazon, but he's a really wonderful bird 95% of the time, and I know his 2 triggers now. If my hair is different (wet, in a ponytail, hat or hood) or I've been gone longer than 2-3 hours he is going to nail me if I let him until he's gotten over it the next day.

I would also urge you to wait until you are on your own and stable in your adult life because I had to leave my budgie with my parents for several years while I was away at college, then moving all over Ohio for jobs.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I agree with Sandra K on them being individuals. Hence my previous post about choosing an individual rather than a species. All of the species you have mentioned are in the same general size range for cage choice so as I said you can get things like that ahead of time.

I did the same thing after my last budgie died and I wanted to try a larger parrot. I spent probably a year reading about researching species. I'm not sure it did me much good :) My two conures were night and day different, but of course I loved them both. Rowdy is still with me, but I lost my Blue Crowned at only 11 years old to a stroke.

The 3 birds I adopted after Briana died don't necessarily follow their species stereotypes either. I never thought I would want a wild caught male amazon, but he's a really wonderful bird 95% of the time, and I know his 2 triggers now. If my hair is different (wet, in a ponytail, hat or hood) or I've been gone longer than 2-3 hours he is going to nail me if I let him until he's gotten over it the next day.

I would also urge you to wait until you are on your own and stable in your adult life because I had to leave my budgie with my parents for several years while I was away at college, then moving all over Ohio for jobs.
I think I am going to have to wait, because my mom isn't willing to give up any of her cleaning products or non stick cooking wear. So when I move out, what can I use to clean? I've read that mild dish soap, hand soap, laundry detergent (in smaller doses), vinegar, baking soda, grapefruit seed extract, essential oils, coconut oil, and of course water (especially in gas form) are all safe things to use to clean. I also read that Stainless steel and Cast iron cook wear is safe for birds as well. Are there any cleaning things I haven't found? And is there a safe thing to replace bleach with? To like whiten clothes? Is oxyclean safe? Are body care products safe? Shampoo, body wash, lotion, face care products, etc..

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I think I am going to have to wait, because my mom isn't willing to give up any of her cleaning products or non stick cooking wear. So when I move out, what can I use to clean? I've read that mild dish soap, hand soap, laundry detergent (in smaller doses), vinegar, baking soda, grapefruit seed extract, essential oils, coconut oil, and of course water (especially in gas form) are all safe things to use to clean. I also read that Stainless steel and Cast iron cook wear is safe for birds as well. Are there any cleaning things I haven't found? And is there a safe thing to replace bleach with? To like whiten clothes? Is oxyclean safe? Are body care products safe? Shampoo, body wash, lotion, face care products, etc..

For finished wood I use an orange oil wood cleaner. And don't laugh, but I have found the Avi-clean that's made for the bird cages to be a pretty good all around cleaner for hard surfaces although it's more expensive of course than general cleaning products. I think borox is safe for bathrooms, and some even use it as laundry detergent. I'm not sure on oxyclean. I have a very old house and my washing machine is located on an enclosed back porch that has a baseboard electric heater and no AC. So anything in there isn't being circulated through my home via the duct work. A very diluted bleach solution (50 to 1) is safe and I use that to disinfect the bird cages once a month with my vet's blessing. Of course you can also use it on kitchen counters and in bathrooms as well. I do use Endust but always spray it on the dust rag outside and wait a few minutes before I come back in. If I have an item that I want to clean with Formula 409 I take it to my back porch first. Like last week I bought a 1965 Fender amplifier and it had some ground in dirt in the tolex covering. 409 is great for cleaning tolex so I just took it to the back porch for cleaning first.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Something to consider mentioning to your mom is that if so many things aren't safe for birds are they really safe for humans, cats, dogs and small children? Granted, birds have a much more delicate respiratory system. I use Dawn for the birds dishes and bowls but I also FS10 (veterinary disinfectant which can be left on) for cages and bowls that are really grungy. As for human detergent, we use the no colour-no scent Arm & Hammer detergent for our clothes and the same type of Downy liquid in the washer. I also line dry our things as long as the weather is warm. Same goes for the Oxyclean and we don't use herbicides or pesticides outside. There is a product to whiten whites - Laundry Bluing and How to Use Bluing - so you don't get that chlorine smell.

I think we have a yellow jacket/wasp spray which we've only had to use once (in the mail box by the street) of all places and hubby has WD40 which he uses in the garage (no vent connected to the house).

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
What is a good air freshener that is safe for birds? I was reading boiling spices and fruit can make your house smell really good. And also what is a good air purifier/filter? And thank you both for the tips on all of that.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I don't use any air freshener at all. Really keeping the house clean, cleaning up after the animals daily and opening windows to air it out seem to keep the house fresh smelling. Yeah, I do have winter to deal with, but this is a very dry old house so I haven't noticed any musty smells. I also don't do so much cooking anymore due to my pancreatitis and living alone so that probably helps.

You will get a ton of answers on air purifiers. I have an Austin but I found it on ebay for a really good price and then just bought it a new filter. It arrived super clean so I felt safe doing that.

Yes, as an adult on your own you can control your environment, and any noise or mess from birds only bothers you. Of course someday you may want to get married and have children, but I guess my advice there is don't marry someone who doesn't like your bird(s) :D I once dated a man who hated animals and didn't tell me for a few months. Sorry, but I come with all of them, and you shouldn't have dated me as long as you did rather than expect me to change.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I'd go with the Austin and Rabbit air purifiers but they aren't cheap. The Rabbit is nice because it will tell you how long you have before you have to change the main filter which is approx. 15 mos. I believe. You can take out the different purifying elements and vacuum them until then. We have an Austin, a Rabbit (in our bedroom) and 4 small table top units as well.

@roxynoodle I'm generalizing but non-critter people don't realize that the companion creatures we have are, in essence, family. I've never given up a child and I won't give up my fids.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
I use Oxyfresh cleansing gele (Cleansing Gelé Liquid Soap from Oxyfresh) which is bird safe — it’s my favorite cleaner, for both bird-related and household things. It lathers like shampoo and is good at stripping oil (leaves your hands feeling squeaky clean). I usually add a couple squirts of it + water into a spray bottle and shake it up until it mixes.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Ok, sort of good news! I convinced my mom to try living a lifestyle as if we have a bird. I told her about all of the harmful things in everything she uses, and she said she already knew and was open to try more safe things. I told her to try it for 2 weeks-1 month and she what she thinks. If she doesn't like it, then I'll wait for a bird. If she's okay with it, she can try it longer. And if she loves it we can just do that forever lol.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I use Oxyfresh cleansing gele (Cleansing Gelé Liquid Soap from Oxyfresh) which is bird safe — it’s my favorite cleaner, for both bird-related and household things. It lathers like shampoo and is good at stripping oil (leaves your hands feeling squeaky clean). I usually add a couple squirts of it + water into a spray bottle and shake it up until it mixes.
So can you use it for cleaning the house? Or is it just for skin? And how well does it clean? What do you use it to clean?

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I'd go with the Austin and Rabbit air purifiers but they aren't cheap. The Rabbit is nice because it will tell you how long you have before you have to change the main filter which is approx. 15 mos. I believe. You can take out the different purifying elements and vacuum them until then. We have an Austin, a Rabbit (in our bedroom) and 4 small table top units as well.

@roxynoodle I'm generalizing but non-critter people don't realize that the companion creatures we have are, in essence, family. I've never given up a child and I won't give up my fids.
I don't use any air freshener at all. Really keeping the house clean, cleaning up after the animals daily and opening windows to air it out seem to keep the house fresh smelling. Yeah, I do have winter to deal with, but this is a very dry old house so I haven't noticed any musty smells. I also don't do so much cooking anymore due to my pancreatitis and living alone so that probably helps.

You will get a ton of answers on air purifiers. I have an Austin but I found it on ebay for a really good price and then just bought it a new filter. It arrived super clean so I felt safe doing that.

Yes, as an adult on your own you can control your environment, and any noise or mess from birds only bothers you. Of course someday you may want to get married and have children, but I guess my advice there is don't marry someone who doesn't like your bird(s) :D I once dated a man who hated animals and didn't tell me for a few months. Sorry, but I come with all of them, and you shouldn't have dated me as long as you did rather than expect me to change.
I'll look into both of those air filters. One question, I know they're used to clean the air, but what else. Do they detoxify elements in the that can be harmful to humans/animals? Because I read that you can put activated carbon in it, and I use that in my fish tanks to remove things that will kill my fish.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
So can you use it for cleaning the house? Or is it just for skin? And how well does it clean? What do you use it to clean?
Yep, I use it to clean the sink area, mirrors, windows, etc.. I haven’t tried it on wood though, but it’s very gentle. Anything bird related gets cleaned with it too (cages, perches, bowls) and it’s been tested and successfully kills the polyoma virus. I also use it in place of hand soap to wash off any oily food residue before handling my birds. It cleans super well, you can definitely feel how clean your hands are after each use.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I'll look into both of those air filters. One question, I know they're used to clean the air, but what else. Do they detoxify elements in the that can be harmful to humans/animals? Because I read that you can put activated carbon in it, and I use that in my fish tanks to remove things that will kill my fish.
The Rabbit (our bedroom) is definitely a HEPA filter and I believe the Austin (bird room) is too. I'm not sure about the table top units - 1 Holmes and 3 Honeywell. Depending on what type of vacuum you have at home, you can also look into upgrading the replacement bags to HEPA also. We did that with our home vacuum and invested in a new Vacmaster wet-dry power vac which has high efficiency dust collection bags.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
The Rabbit Air has a filter with carbon granuals in it in addition to the separate HEPA filter, and there's also a prefilter.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
My Austin has a HEPA filter. I'm not sure if all models do.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Well it sounds like I need a HEPA filter lol. And the Rabbit does have carbon in it, so I might go for that one. Although it's a lot more expensive.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Well, I would also look at things like maintenance costs before you decide which one is really more expensive. The Austins only need new filters like once every 5 years but it's a very expensive filter. So it's possible the Rabbit turns out to be less expensive over a 5 year period of time.

I think the Rabbits are smaller, quieter and hang on the wall? My Austin is pretty big!

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Well, I would also look at things like maintenance costs before you decide which one is really more expensive. The Austins only need new filters like once every 5 years but it's a very expensive filter. So it's possible the Rabbit turns out to be less expensive over a 5 year period of time.

I think the Rabbits are smaller, quieter and hang on the wall? My Austin is pretty big!
Ya that makes sense lol.