• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wanting to get a bird. I have some questions

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
What is a bird friendly tree? Like what kind of tree's leaves, bark, and maybe fruit is safe for conures? Maybe a mulberry tree?

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Could I do like an almond tree on one side, and a mulberry or apple tree on the other?

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I'm going to start making toys to stockpile for when I get the birds. I've started drying out some corn husk for a crunchy rip toy. I'm going to put cardstock, tissue paper, corn husk, and a bell. And then on the next toy I'm going to buy some little wood blocks and a wood chewing toy. And I also want to buy some thick rope to make a little bouncy perch.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I'm thinking about something new. I'm thinking maybe 14-20 ft long, 8-12 feet wide, and like 20 feet tall or something. I know that's really big, but I want to be able to plant a tree in each side for each bird since they're going to be seperated.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Ok, ok. So my mom is in on the idea now. She said she'd love to have an aviary in the backyard. But if we do build it, I have to let her plant tulips all the way around it. I just told her to make sure that the birds can't get to them because I know they're poisonous. The tulip part was a compromise because I want to build into the area where she wanted to have a tulip bed. So now the aviary is going to be 32 feet long, 12 feet wide, and 15-20 feet tall. The birds are going to have a lot of flying room lol. And I'm to plant 3 fruit trees inside, 1 is definitely going to be an apple then the other two I don't know what kind of trees. I was thinking a Mulberry, or maybe an Almond. But with an almond tree I know Parrots like to chew on things and unripe almonds are poisonous so I don't think that would work. What other kinds of tree's Bark/Leaves/Fruit is safe for parrots? Maybe a plum or a pear?

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I just read that apple and pear bark is not good for parrots, so never mind to those two. But I did also read that pear trees are safe as long as the bird doesn't eat the seeds. So could I do a Mulberry tree, some honeysuckle, and some bamboo? And with an aviary this big should I still be worried about the birds fighting?

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
On one of the sides of the aviary I am going to plant blue bamboo, and on the other side maybe fish pole bamboo, and then in the middle I am going to plant winter honeysuckle. Then I am going to put a couple strands of rope through each of the bamboo stand for the birds to perch on. If the aviary is big enough and if they have their own territories should they be okay together?

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
To start off I’m going to do 14 ft long by 14 ft wide by 12 ft tall. And then on one side I’m going to do a dogwood tree and the other side some kind of bamboo with winter honeysuckle in the middle. And I’m hoping to get my first bird next November when I save up enough money. And then the following spring me and my dad will start building the aviary.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I think I'm going to do Phyllostachys vivax "Aureocaulis". It seems good for my climate.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Are there any diseases I should worry about keeping the birds outside? Are there vaccines for the diseases if there are any?

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I was just reading that if the birds have their own food bowls and places to hang out/nest (if they want to) then they won't fight.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Anyone got anything to say on all of this?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was just reading that if the birds have their own food bowls and places to hang out/nest (if they want to) then they won't fight.
You really shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. This is WRONG.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
You really shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. This is WRONG.
Well I wasn't really believing it, I was just putting it out there for people to object or agree with... And it seems that it was objected lol

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I just went to Smith's and they carry Rambutan and Star fruit now. Are both of these safe for birds? Minus the seeds of course. I bought and tried some rambutan and it was really good. I didn't buy any star fruit because none of them were ripe.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I've read that both of them are safe and really good for parrots I just need to remove the seeds and skin.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I'm.... so indecisive... I don't know, but I really like Halfmoon conures also, and they're also a lot cheaper than Nanday's and Painted's. After some thinking, I think I should start with a less expensive bird. And since it's still a conure, it will have the same diet as a Nanday or a painted.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Just throwing this out there. I am now in love with Cactus conures. I can't find any place online that sells them. Does anyone know how much they cost/where to find them?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Cactus conures are not kept in private hands in the United States.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Cactus conures are not kept in private hands in the United States.
Oh, that's a little disappointing lol. Is there a reason? Is it just because they don't want them in the U.S.? And I think I've finally settled on a bird I'm gonna get first. A Turquoise cinnamon green cheek conure or a Mint green cheek conure.