• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent ugly Wound on young cockatiel's head

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've been following along on this thread, but could not think of anything that might help you with your bird. The sore on the top of his head looks pretty serious and like someone said it may be necrotic. Is it possible that you could take a very close closeup of the sore on his head. Also could you give us a description of what the sore looks like - is it crusty or soft, is it swollen, is there any reddish skin around it, is it sore to the touch, has it grown or shrunk, are there any noticeable changes that you could describe to us?

Have you tried to use a warm wet cloth (distilled water if you have it) to wipe the sore clean with? You would need to be very gentle doing this. Do you have a product like we have in the US - a triple antibiotic salve. If you have that or some Bactrim salve you can put a very light coat on the sore after cleaning it.

I your bird has a virus it is most likely to be one of these; Viral Diseases of Pet Birds - Exotic and Laboratory Animals - Merck Veterinary Manual and I doubt it is one of those.

Right now she needs some time to try to heal that head wound so keep her quiet, feed her as much as she will eat and keep up with her medicines. I've never had a Cockatiel so all I know its that they all seem to like millet very much - let her have as much as she wants. Talk to her, even read to her but don't try to pick her up except for the medications.

Be as calm as you possibly can be when around her - birds pick up on you mood.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
The veterinary school so close is great.
Would try to call them!!!

I suppose if the black got inside her system the antibiotic might help.

Wrap him in a towel to give meds so he will stay still for you & its not like you are using hands then to hold him so might be better.

Watch the black spot...its been dry now?

Scabs can look really dark too but if it gets red around it or ouzes then it needs to be kept clean.

The real active UMF manuka honey can aid in healing wounds but it has to be the real active one & many that claim to be active are not.

I don;t know if you have access to that sort of honey as it has to come from New Zealand.

Wedderspoon claims active but its been tested & it always seem to fall short.

7 Powerful Benefits of Manuka Honey (With Studies) - Organics.org

Mossops is a good one & maybe you can order on ebay or online?

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I'm sure you can find a antibiotic ointment at the drug store. They won't be a US bran but most likely from Germany

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We usually give medication by beak with a syringe. The doc or pharmacy can supply that. It's much easier, faster and you don't have to force. Keep birds head up when giving oral med, not flat.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would not use a topical unless instructed to do so by a vet. Assuming the systemic antibiotic is correctly prescribed for a bacterial infection, adding a topical will not make the treatment more effective. It could, however, cause problems if the baby wipes the topical onto her feathers.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
I tried to give her medications today and she bite me so hard that I almost pissed myself and couldn't continue

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I tried to give her medications today and she bite me so hard that I almost pissed myself and couldn't continue
Use a towel. You have to keep up the regimen for it to have a chance of working.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You take the towel and gently wrap it around her. I use a thick hand towel. You want part of it sticking up around her head so if she bites, she bites the towel instead of you.

I understand about the biting! Spirit bit me three times recently. I was trying to put her in a second cage that she wasn't used to. Both my index fingers were bloody when I got done.

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
I've been following along on this thread, but could not think of anything that might help you with your bird. The sore on the top of his head looks pretty serious and like someone said it may be necrotic. Is it possible that you could take a very close closeup of the sore on his head. Also could you give us a description of what the sore looks like - is it crusty or soft, is it swollen, is there any reddish skin around it, is it sore to the touch, has it grown or shrunk, are there any noticeable changes that you could describe to us?

Have you tried to use a warm wet cloth (distilled water if you have it) to wipe the sore clean with? You would need to be very gentle doing this. Do you have a product like we have in the US - a triple antibiotic salve. If you have that or some Bactrim salve you can put a very light coat on the sore after cleaning it.
the sore is pretty soft, not swollen and it has shrunk. there's no reddish skin round it except for a couple of days back when she hit her head into a window, the spot got swollen and reddish

No I haven't tried to wipe it.

Last edited:

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
The veterinary school so close is great.
Would try to call them!!!

I suppose if the black got inside her system the antibiotic might help.

Wrap him in a towel to give meds so he will stay still for you & its not like you are using hands then to hold him so might be better.

Watch the black spot...its been dry now?

Scabs can look really dark too but if it gets red around it or ouzes then it needs to be kept clean.

The real active UMF manuka honey can aid in healing wounds but it has to be the real active one & many that claim to be active are not.

I don;t know if you have access to that sort of honey as it has to come from New Zealand.

Wedderspoon claims active but its been tested & it always seem to fall short.

7 Powerful Benefits of Manuka Honey (With Studies) - Organics.org

Mossops is a good one & maybe you can order on ebay or online?
it's not red around it and it hasn't been oozy beside that time when she hit her head into a window.

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
You take the towel and gently wrap it around her. I use a thick hand towel. You want part of it sticking up around her head so if she bites, she bites the towel instead of you.

I understand about the biting! Spirit bit me three times recently. I was trying to put her in a second cage that she wasn't used to. Both my index fingers were bloody when I got done.
When she bit me I felt extreme pain that haven't experienced in years so to be honest I'm afraid to try grabbing her again. that's why I'm going to negotiate with the pet store guy who sold her to me to come up with an alternative and give her up...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Most birds will bite when grabbed. Its a natural reflex. That is why we say a small cloth or towel is best. Don't be mad at your bird.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I had a ill cockateil who was not tammed , he hated being held and would bite . We would throw a towel over him and then would grab him out of the cage. We would wrap him like a birdie burrito and he would bite the towel and not our hands , you should give this a try before giving up

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
I had a ill cockateil who was not tammed , he hated being held and would bite . We would throw a towel over him and then would grab him out of the cage. We would wrap him like a birdie burrito and he would bite the towel and not our hands , you should give this a try before giving up
what was her ilness?

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
He had a problem with his liver, we where never able to get to the bottom of his illness unfortunately

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad the towel worked. There is a vid somehwere how to give medicine.

Try to help her as if you give her back unlikely the store will not take the time to treat her.

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
Glad the towel worked. There is a vid somehwere how to give medicine.

Try to help her as if you give her back unlikely the store will not take the time to treat her.
thanks. it's nice to not be alone in this. thank you all really.

the store didn't call back so I personally gonna stick to treating her.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that the towel worked. I generally towel my birds when I have to give them meds. It makes it easier.
Some of them, though, are more cooperative and don't need to be toweled.