• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent ugly Wound on young cockatiel's head

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
Gave her the medications for today's morning and also put very little amount of water in her mouth. she eats pretty good but I'm worried that I haven't seen her drink any water even yet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Is the water dish something she is familiar with? Can you offer it in a small open bowl?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I guess make sure she has easy access to it & its similar to what she was used to.
Some birds are brought up with bottles so may not know how to drink from a bowl.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
She may be drinking when you're not looking. Does she eat anything fresh?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What do you mean by something familiar?
I'm already using a small white open bowl.
I believe that Tanya meant is that the same water dish that she has always used?

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
well, The treatment is over, and she's alive at the very least so that's something I'm very grateful for because there were moments where I thought she could die...

she eats quite well, have seen her drink a few times and she stretches her legs and wings often that must be a sign of well being :) and is fairly responsive to human interaction.

although she's not as energetic as when she was receiving Vitamins but that's understandable. She only eats millet despite offering her various fruits, vegetables, other seeds but she only eats millet... what her diet should be? and how do I get her to commit to that diet considering she's untamed?

and I'd appreciate any help and advice for taming her although I'm not going to start taming right away I'd give her at least a week resting...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That sounds great. Some of the Tiel experts will be along soon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that she is doing better!
I don't know what food you have available in Iran but I give my 'tiels a mixture of Volkman cockatiel seed no sunflower and Caitec Oven Fresh Bites pellets small size. They get more seeds than pellets. They also get frozen mixed vegetables which I've cooked (carrots, green beans, peas and corn). For treats they get Lafeber Avicakes and popcorn and millet spray.
When introducing new foods you generally just have to be patient and experiment.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad she seems to feel doing better! Eventually she should eat a mix of pellets, seeds, and fresh veggies. She might be eating millet because she's in a new home. What was she eating at the place you got her from? If you can find out, and give her some of that right now until she's more settled in, that would be good. Eventually you can slowly add other foods, while you decrease the millet. Millet would be something that would be great to use solely as a training treat eventually. Whenever I try to get my tiels to try something new, like a pellet brand, the biggest challenge is to get them to eat it just once. If they eat just one or two bites, then I know that they know it is food, so I know they won't starve if I slowly transition them over.

datlamb

Sprinting down the street

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
Any comments about starting taming? for now I just want her to stop scaring being close to us and get out of the cage.

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
here are some resources about how to start taming and bonding

youtube

most important thing is be patient and work at your cockatiel's pace. try and learn his body language to determine when you are doing things on his terms and when you are pushing too far. find a treat he likes and start target training. it's a really great way to start bonding.
patience, positive reinforcement and ending every interaction on a good note is key. goodluck!

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
Guys I'm so frustrated and hopeless now that despite numerous attempts I can't get her eat anything beside millet and Flaxseed....:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

I want her to have the perfect diet so she be as energetic and intellectual as possible

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It hasn't been that long since you tried to introduce new foods. Unfortunately they don't ever conform to our timeline for what we think they should do. How are you offering the new foods? How much of the old food are you offering? I would guess that you're offering too much total of her diet and she has no motivation to try anything else.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is difficult to wait, but it can take several months for some birds to even try their new food.