• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent ugly Wound on young cockatiel's head

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
Green poop could be seeds too green & could be liver but the bird is so young for that.

Virus? How did he check that? I thought antibiotics did not work on viruses & treat bacteria.

I'd ask questions to try to understand why she is given what she was.

Birds in Iran sometimes have alot of disease & even PBFD.

What did vet do or say about the black on the head?

Hope your baby will be OK.

Unfed tiels can be tamed but right now its most important to et her healthy,

:sadhug2:
I agree with camelotshadow antibiotics aré for treating bacteria not a virus!
If you are not confident in the vet you took your bird to then you might want to consult with another vet.
Amoxiclav is used to treat bacterial infections. It may or may not be effective for the infection that your bird has.
Did the vet do any kind of lab work: cultures, blood work? Doesn't sound like it.

Yes, even if she was not handfed she can be tamed.
The antibiotic is for the wound. the other medicine is for virus.

Green poop could be seeds too green & could be liver but the bird is so young for that.

Virus? How did he check that? I thought antibiotics did not work on viruses & treat bacteria.

I'd ask questions to try to understand why she is given what she was.

Birds in Iran sometimes have alot of disease & even PBFD.

What did vet do or say about the black on the head?

Hope your baby will be OK.

Unfed tiels can be tamed but right now its most important to et her healthy,

:sadhug2:
there's no way to be sure of what illness she has or hasn't even if it was I couldn't afford it. I observed throughout several days that she's inactive and lethargic and doesn't drink or eat alot (however her appetite seems improved ) and I observed that the spot on her head doesn't seem to get better so I started asking questions, people here said take her to a vet so I did and here we are...

thanks you all for your kindness. please pray for her and me that I shall have the patience to fight this through.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Are you in a near by larger city like Tehran or Esfahan? I could see not finding a vet in smaller places like Yazd or Arak but if you are near one of the more metropolitan cities you might find a good vet. I know you can find almost anything in Tehran

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
Are you in a near by larger city like Tehran or Esfahan? I could see not finding a vet in smaller places like Yazd or Arak but if you are near one of the more metropolitan cities you might find a good vet. I know you can find almost anything in Tehran
Nope, there's like 14 hours drive from here to tehran or Esfahan.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
What large city are you near?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Mashad has modernized a lot over the years, maybe you can find help there

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Actually, I just did a check and the only Avian vet that pops up is in Shiraz . It is too far from you but you could call to see if they can point you to the closest vet to help
Shiraz, Fars:
Farshad Zakeri DVM, AAV member; Dr. Zakeri Avian Clinic

No 88, Jomhouri Blvd. Shiraz, Fars, Iran Tel: 98 (711) 2296223 HP: 98(917) 3199242 Post code: 71446-64341/p>

But looking further I see that Ferdowsi University of Mashad has a school of veterinary medicine. I think thats your best bet and probably cheapest.

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
Guys I don't think there is much that I could do so Let's be patient and keep positive.

the doctor said that I have to drop the amoxiclav solution into her mouth so I did, I grabbed her with my hand, she screamed and struggled a lot...such an upsetting experience it was watching the poor baby suffer like that made me so sad. the point is she now has no trust in me and probably is going to hate me more day by day...I might as well let go of the idea of taming her:crycry:.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
HE gave you something to put on her head and an oral solution for her virus? I'm asking this because I would think you would be putting the antibiotic directly on her head and you are sying you are giving it orally

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
HE gave you something to put on her head and an oral solution for her virus? I'm asking this because I would think you would be putting the antibiotic directly on her head and you are sying you are giving it orally
no, nothing is to be put on her head. there's this amoxiclav dissolved in water to be dropped in her mouth (two drops per day) and there's this other medicine to be dissolved in her water so that she drinks it and if she doesn't drink it I'll have to force that too...

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Are you using a towel to hold her when you put the drops in? That's better than using your hand. I pray she will get through all of this. Just make every other interaction with her positive, and never force her to do anything but the meds.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Please accept my prayers for your little one's healing.

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
don't worry. cockatiels are very sweet and forgiving. right now just focus on getting him better. keep us updated. after this ordeal is done we can help you regain his trust

all of my good wishes to you

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
Are you using a towel to hold her when you put the drops in? That's better than using your hand. I pray she will get through all of this. Just make every other interaction with her positive, and never force her to do anything but the meds.
no I'm not. is that so?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Amoxiclav is very powerful in humans anyway. I had a dreadful sinus infection and it cleared it up I 10 days.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would also have thought that the vet would have prescribed a topical as well as oral medications.

Sending positive thoughts that your 'tiel will be better soon.

Last edited: