• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent ugly Wound on young cockatiel's head

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
Hey all, I got my self a young cockatiel a few days back, she had a small black mark on her head but I figured it's not a big deal but it has growned and became bigger::(

Inked۲۰۱۷۰۷۲۹_۱۳۴۲۰۶_LI.jpg ۲۰۱۷۰۷۲۹_۱۳۳۶۵۵.jpg

Unfortunately I don't know any avian vet in our small town.

Attachments

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Your best bet is a vet visit. Sooner rather than later would be advisable

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
Association of Avian Veterinarians

Try and find a close avian vet here.
How is she acting? Active or lethargic? Is she eating and drinking? If she steps up try and see if her feet are warm or cold

If she's cold and lethargic you may need to move her to a warmer place until you get to a vet

Keep us posted

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope you can take her to a vet, even if you have to drive a while. That looks like something that should really be checked out, especially if it's growing. Congratulations on your new bird, she's a cutie!

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
Association of Avian Veterinarians

Try and find a close avian vet here.
How is she acting? Active or lethargic? Is she eating and drinking? If she steps up try and see if her feet are warm or cold

If she's cold and lethargic you may need to move her to a warmer place until you get to a vet

Keep us posted
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

she's lethargic, she doesn't eat a lot, haven't seen her drink yet. she doesn't step up but her beak sometimes looks pale.

keep in mind reading my answers above that this is my first Cockatiel.

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
Your best bet is a vet visit. Sooner rather than later would be advisable
I hope you can take her to a vet, even if you have to drive a while. That looks like something that should really be checked out, especially if it's growing. Congratulations on your new bird, she's a cutie!
Thank you for your time.
Thanks @Tiel Feathers that's kind of you.

Unfortunately I'm in a small town in a developing country (Iran) and there is no avian vet here but still I'm gonna go ask around and visit some vets.

for the record it doesn't grow anymore, It got bigger and bloody when I let her out and she flew and hit her head into windows and walls a couple of times, but now it seems like getting dry like dead skin....

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is even more important now to get her veterinarian attention. What do other bird owners do in your area? I have been there years ago.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree with others, please try to take her to the vet. You wrote that she hit her head a few times and it's possible that she could have a concussion which might be why she is lethargic and not eating a lot. How long have you had her? If she is new that could be another reason she is not eating or drinking much. She could be frightened and stressed. However, I would recommend that you take her to a vet.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The skin on top of her he's could be necrotic. Thats why the area is growing and getting darker. Necrotic flesh has to be surgically removed. If it is necrotic. And it will make a bird sick. Especislly if the skull is pierced.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@amin021023 Are you still here and what have you done for this very ill bird?

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
It is even more important now to get her veterinarian attention. What do other bird owners do in your area? I have been there years ago.
Agree with others, please try to take her to the vet. You wrote that she hit her head a few times and it's possible that she could have a concussion which might be why she is lethargic and not eating a lot. How long have you had her? If she is new that could be another reason she is not eating or drinking much. She could be frightened and stressed. However, I would recommend that you take her to a vet.
The skin on top of her he's could be necrotic. Thats why the area is growing and getting darker. Necrotic flesh has to be surgically removed. If it is necrotic. And it will make a bird sick. Especislly if the skull is pierced.
@amin021023 Are you still here and what have you done for this very ill bird?
I took her to a vet just now, the doctor took a look at her and her poop and said the poop is also too green. the doctor said she has virus and prescribed co amoxiclav and v a protin or something whcih is a powder.... the doctor also said she could die....

regarding her health I'm so confused and don't know what's really going on and I don't really trust that doctor but I'm going to give her the prescriptions and do anything in my power to ensure her health and well being and I'm gonna keep positive and believe she's gonna live and get well....

but there is also another matter that I'm confused about....even if she gets better can she be hand tamed? because despite hard tryings in the last few days to hand tame her, we couldn't make any progress and she bites when I got my finger close to her....she appeares to be two month old and probably not hand fed....the question is can she be hand tame and friendly when she gets well?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Yes she can be hand tamed but it will take a lot of patience and gentleness on your part.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I took her to a vet just now, the doctor took a look at her and her poop and said the poop is also too green. the doctor said she has virus and prescribed co amoxiclav and v a protin or something whcih is a powder.... the doctor also said she could die....

regarding her health I'm so confused and don't know what's really going on and I don't really trust that doctor but I'm going to give her the prescriptions and do anything in my power to ensure her health and well being and I'm gonna keep positive and believe she's gonna live and get well....

but there is also another matter that I'm confused about....even if she gets better can she be hand tamed? because despite hard tryings in the last few days to hand tame her, we couldn't make any progress and she bites when I got my finger close to her....she appeares to be two month old and probably not hand fed....the question is can she be hand tame and friendly when she gets well?
I am so sorry.; It is hard when you don't have confidence in a vet! Maybe if she doesn't improve you could find a different one. Hopefully the vet was right even though we don't like him/her.

I'm glad you are trying to stay positive!

Hand taming a tiel is fairly simple, they are pretty mellow birds. Read everything you can on this forum, you will see that people come on here a lot asking about taming one and lots of advice has been given. I am retraining two ... I sit and read to them a lot. Just hearing your voice helps them get to know you. Also giving treats when you walk by, and don't stare at them, look away after you speak to her.

I'm wondering if your 2nd med might be probiotics? She will need probiotics because the amoxi will kill off certain bacteria in the gut...but usually you give them afterward, I thought.

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
The hard part is that I have to force two drops of the medicine (amoxiclav) into her mouth per day and that's not gonna help at all in hand taming her :sad11:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
The vet said she had a virus but is that independent of the place on her head? I am a little confused. She is a sick baby, let her heal before pressuring her to be tame

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
The vet said she had a virus but is that independent of the place on her head? I am a little confused. She is a sick baby, let her heal before pressuring her to be tame
yeah the virus seems to be independent from the place on her head....the pet store guy gave me a sick bird that motherfather accused me of making her sick

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Green poop could be seeds too green & could be liver but the bird is so young for that.

Virus? How did he check that? I thought antibiotics did not work on viruses & treat bacteria.

I'd ask questions to try to understand why she is given what she was.

Birds in Iran sometimes have alot of disease & even PBFD.

What did vet do or say about the black on the head?

Hope your baby will be OK.

Unfed tiels can be tamed but right now its most important to et her healthy,

:sadhug2:

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I agree with camelotshadow antibiotics aré for treating bacteria not a virus!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are not confident in the vet you took your bird to then you might want to consult with another vet.
Amoxiclav is used to treat bacterial infections. It may or may not be effective for the infection that your bird has.
Did the vet do any kind of lab work: cultures, blood work? Doesn't sound like it.

Yes, even if she was not handfed she can be tamed.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Where are you located? Perhaps we can help you find an avian vet or one that sees birds occasionally?