• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Transition to healthier eating

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
So I was reading this site again:

LafeberVet.com: Nutritional management of pancreatitis

and I quote(paragraph, numbered 4):

The addition of omega-6 and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids may shorten the course of pancreatitis. Doneley has described the use of a 5:1 ratio combination of omega-6:o:mega-3 fatty acids (0.11 ml/kg PO q24h) for birds with acute pancreatitis.
I know CRUSHED flax seeds are super great for human health. It is just so super nutritious. I feed it to my birds every night in their oatmeal, sweet potato blended greens mix. Its very healthy :)

WHFoods: Flaxseeds

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Rudy is SUCH a hansom guy!!

MMM Pom seeds! lol.

We havent seen any at our local Cosco lately. Saroj, where are you getting them?:confused:
In november I bought 125(?) poms :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Still have enough to last till May IF they don't go bad....used to be I served 1/4 pom a day, but now some parts are getting brown so it takes 3/4 pom to get what I need for everybody. I know I overfeed fruit, but caiques can handle the higher sugar.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'll look for my graphic pics....

I would love to see pics to understand more of what your describing.

Poor Scooter.. I love my fats and I know my fids do too.:hug8:

What about sprouts? Can he handle them?

What about pelleted diets that have fat in them? Does he show any negative symptoms?

Have you tried Totally Organic Pellets for Scooter, I know they are low in fat and sugars, etc.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So I was reading this site again:

LafeberVet.com: Nutritional management of pancreatitis

and I quote(paragraph, numbered 4):

I know CRUSHED flax seeds are super great for human health. It is just so super nutritious. I feed it to my birds every night in their oatmeal, sweet potato blended greens mix. Its very healthy :)

WHFoods: Flaxseeds
Scooter LOVES the flaxseed in Avian Naturals Power Mash!! I didn't catch it was actually good for him and was restricting it!!It has the good oils....
thanks Mercedez!

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's a few pics of how my mash ends up looking. For some reason, I can't find a picture of the chopped up veggies,

I do mine almost exactly like Saemma. Soak beans overnight, then cook. Cook the grains and lentils .. not to mushy. I use both fresh and slightly steamed veggies, then put them thru the food processor on fast pulse, I don't want it too fine, but well chopped. I will usually pulse 1/2 the bean mixture, and leave the other half as is.

Mix it all together, and portion out.

I don't add fruit to my mash either. I do the fruits separately, and add a bit of fruit puree to the mash when I feed.

The mash is my "base" .. I add fresh veggies, sometimes frozen <depending on season> daily, as well as sprouts daily. Everyone here loves apples and grapes, so usually those are included daily .. I mix up the fruits as much as possible, but will only use organic .. so limited to seasonal availability.

Attachments

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I would love to see pics to understand more of what your describing.

Poor Scooter.. I love my fats and I know my fids do too.:hug8:

What about sprouts? Can he handle them?

What about pelleted diets that have fat in them? Does he show any negative symptoms?

Have you tried Totally Organic Pellets for Scooter, I know they are low in fat and sugars, etc
He's on TOPs and Harrison's and Lafebers pellets. He's actually doing quite well and except for the oil splotches, is very normal. Eats a lot of fresh foods. He's my best and least picky eater!:heart:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I know I overfeed fruit, but caiques can handle the higher sugar.

If they fly it off, Im sure they are fine :) Its the clipped birds I always worry about with fat, caloric and sugar contents. I feed a good 20% of my bird's diets in fruit. They are still very good veggie eaters and they get eat a lot of healthy foods, so I'm not worried either :) But many fruits have very high Vitamins in them, especially BERRIES.

SHEESH 125 poms?!:omg:

Im JEALOUS!:lol: That had to of cost a lot.. Poms are so expensive up here. Did you get a good discount for such a great quantity of them?

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
If they fly it off, Im sure they are fine :) Its the clipped birds I always worry about with fat, caloric and sugar contents. I feed a good 20% of my bird's diets in fruit. They are still very good veggie eaters and they get eat a lot of healthy foods, so I'm not worried either :) But many fruits have very high Vitamins in them, especially BERRIES.

SHEESH 125 poms?!:omg:

Im JEALOUS!:lol: That had to of cost a loud.. Poms are so expensive up here. Did you get a good discount for such a great quantity of them?
they are starting to fly, but are very high energy anyways, though a little pudgy :p
I would pick up a dozen poms each time I went to the store....so I didn't keep track of the cost :hehe:
Your diet percentages sound great!:)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
WOW Merlie, that looks great!

I have just gotten into feeding my birds a mash mix. I typically just blend up their greens and carrots and other very healthy veggies and at it to their oatmeal and sweet potato.

I think I'm going to do a few things different tonight!:D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Here's a few pics of how my mash ends up looking. For some reason, I can't find a picture of the chopped up veggies,

I do mine almost exactly like Saemma. Soak beans overnight, then cook. Cook the grains and lentils .. not to mushy. I use both fresh and slightly steamed veggies, then put them thru the food processor on fast pulse, I don't want it too fine, but well chopped. I will usually pulse 1/2 the bean mixture, and leave the other half as is.

Mix it all together, and portion out.

I don't add fruit to my mash either. I do the fruits separately, and add a bit of fruit puree to the mash when I feed.

The mash is my "base" .. I add fresh veggies, sometimes frozen <depending on season> daily, as well as sprouts daily. Everyone here loves apples and grapes, so usually those are included daily .. I mix up the fruits as much as possible, but will only use organic .. so limited to seasonal availability.
:omg::omg: :faint:
thank you sooooo much for the pics.

Now tell me, are you and Saemma leaving this out for any length of time? Like say 9 hours?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So??:eek: How's it going on your end Sarojie? I want a play by play.. to bad we can't see everthing that's going on by TV satellite!!:rofl:

They seem super hungry in those pics!! Were they?:p

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

they are starting to fly, but are very high energy anyways, though a little pudgy :p
I would pick up a dozen poms each time I went to the store....so I didn't keep track of the cost :hehe:
Your diet percentages sound great!:)
Ive noticed that with our small birds, even with flight, they can appear... pudgy:hehe: Im always trying to improve my birds diet, and just love reading about how people do things for their fids :D

Sheesh, I'd eat a dozen or more POMs a day if I could. LOL. Im thinking about researching a bit about growing PALM trees and POM trees:D:lol: I wonder how long they'd take until they produce fruit and nut? lol

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Now tell me, are you and Saemma leaving this out for any length of time? Like say 9 hours?
I was wondering this too. I know with fresh veggies and some types of fruits (with no unthawed frozen veggies or fruits) I can lave them out for a good 9 hours. But with blend mix, I was wondering.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

:eek: HUH? My cooked food gets gobbled in 5-10 minutes flat!!

In the old days when they behaved like food snobs.. I'd leave it out for 40 minutes.. and after that.. the kitchen was CLOSED!!!!:hehe:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So??:eek: How's it going on your end Sarojie? I want a play by play.. to bad we can't see everthing that's going on by TV satellite!!:rofl:

They seem super hungry in those pics!! Were they?:p
i have some really irritated and hungry birds

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Everyone has different opinions on this .. but you are dealing with fresh, moist food, so you don't want it sitting out for too long.

On days I work .. it's out for about an hour or so, depends on the bird .. they each have their different "eating" styles. I've got it down to where there's very little left over to dump.

On days that I'm off .. I do the standard 1 hourish in the morning, but will refill again late afternoon.

After a while, you just know how much each bird will eat, and how long it will take them to eat it .. so initially, there might be some waste, but you'll get it figured out. The Caiques are piggies, they dive and destroy. The Quakers are much "daintier" .. and like to mix nibbling with playing.

The rest of the gang are somewhere in between .. but usually, there's very little left in the mash bowls after an hour.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) Are they eating some of what you have provided?

It's normal for them to be feeling CRABBY too.:D Their little bodies are accustomed to that "Nutriberry seed high"
I'm sure alot of it is also "psychological" for them too.
Rome wasn't built in a day either
If you can get through 12 more weeks of regular episodes like today.. you're going to be fine
Be STRONG. Today was only day #1:)
:dance4::dance4::dance4::hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
thank you Merlie :)
Saemma if they don't eat by 8 I have to yield.
I just caged everybody as people dinner is served, and J&C are really grouchy. Jackson got her normal dinner, she eats properly. L Scoot got a nmix of mash and regular dinner so he is fine. Rudy is annoyed -- he eats seeds a lot, and there are 0 seeds in his cage. B Scoot is too busy playing in his dresser. After I come back I'll see if he wants to eat the mash that is served on his tree....

breakfast went well...they all ate pellets except Rudy

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also forgot to add :p

Parrots are masters at reading body language and expert manipulators.:eek: Do not ever let them sense you are weak. They will exploit it for all they can.
Be strong and always be consistent!!!:hug8:Trés Important!!!!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:rofl::rofl::rofl: i sound grouchy myself don't I? :rofl::rofl:
Off to fortify with frittata :hehe: