• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Transition to healthier eating

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Seed/nutriberries have always been a 30% component of my birds diet. They eat mostly a fresh diet, cooked foods for dinner and pellets. However since Scooter has now developed chronic pancreatitis seed is his enemy. Last few weeks it has been a battle keeping him out of other people's cages and stealing.
So now, encouraged also by Saemma's mash conversion thread

http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/15001-homemade-bird-mash-appreciation-3.htmlhttp://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/15001-homemade-bird-mash-appreciation-3.html#post252847

I removed today all seeds/nutriberries/millet from all cages. Left only four types of pellets. And to help this process, also freeze dried corn and peas. Fresh veggies and fruits as always.

They will be out of the cages most of the day. The complaints have already started :lol:
Actually I'm going to save Saemma' strategy here so I can refer back along the journey
You'll be fine. Just remember to stay the course. None of your fids are babies. They won't starve. You are simply teaching them how to appreciate and enjoy food alot more and WASTE less. Always leave their pellets in their cages. They know they can eat that if they want. They will definitely look at you questioningly.:p Don't forget to remove all treats and goodies...bring them out only after they've filled up on "the good stuff". Even after you bring them out the treat.. you should only leave it out for about 30 minutes and then REMOVE.:) Also do not offer mammoth sized portions for treats or mashie.:D

Ideally the mash portions should not be bigger than the size of the parrot's head or brain size.;)

Allow them to play all day and work up an appetite for their evening meal and then just start it all over again. Once again ... they won't starve but they will be annoyed and confused with you.:p
and this Saemma's mash recipe
http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/8354-birdie-mash-day.html

Little Scooter is most puzzled right now....his commando strikes on the cages are producing zero trophies :hehe:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Oh your kids are so lucky to have you for a mommy. I love to hear how you do everything with your kids:) Makes me feel so good about my kids. They love you :hug8::hug8::hug8: don't worry, it will be OK and scooter will feel alot better:hug8:

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
Your such a good parront :hug8: I hope J&C don't take the loss of their precious Nutriberries too hard.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oh your kids are so lucky to have you for a mommy. I love to hear how you do everything with your kids:) Makes me feel so good about my kids. They love you :hug8::hug8::hug8: don't worry, it will be OK and scooter will feel alot better:hug8:
awww you are so sweet :hug8::heart:
So you made the mash?
my own version at the moment...same components though, but not sure I'll food process it quite yet. May be too much of a shock. Perhaps just finely chopped for starters :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They sure had you trained Saroj!!! The tantrums show how "spoiled" they really were. But are not going to be anymore. Consider it character building. :lol::hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yayay!! :hug8:I'm so proud of you and know this is alot tougher on YOU than it is on them.:hehe:
It'll be a bit more work for you at the beginning but the rewards will be great!!

They have so much in that room to entertain them. If they want to pout and give you a guilt trip.. just let them.:cool1:
They're going to learn how to eat because the are "hungry" and not simply out of boredom. Remember .. hungry parrots have no interest in playing with food at "meal time" .;)
Are you going to serve a parrot nutz mash tonight?

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
this is exciting news Saroj!!!

:yah: for you! :ygg:

can't wait to see pics :)

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Good Luck. I hope they don't throw to many tantrums.:lol:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Your such a good parront :hug8: I hope J&C don't take the loss of their precious Nutriberries too hard.
well i won't take it too hard if i save $75 a month on nutriberries...:hehe:
See i've been filling bowls with them as a daily staple...
They sure had you trained Saroj!!! The tantrums show how "spoiled" they really were. But are not going to be anymore. Consider it character building. :lol::hug8:
:rofl::rofl::rofl: i just told them what you said :rofl::rofl:
Yayay!!
Are you going to serve a parrot nutz mash tonight?
Jackson gets ParrotNutz Heaven Sent mash every night, away from L Scoot as it has a few seeds in it. So does Avian Naturals Power Mash. So I'm making my own for the general public for out of cage dining based on your recipe.
this is exciting news Saroj!!!

:yah: for you! :ygg:

can't wait to see pics :)
pics of grumpy birds :rofl::rofl:
Good Luck. I hope they don't throw to many tantrums.:lol:
So far so good...:p

Off to Publix to gather mash ingredients....:dance4:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
well i won't take it too hard if i save $75 a month on nutriberries...:hehe:
See i've been filling bowls with them as a daily staple...

:rofl::rofl::rofl: i just told them what you said :rofl::rofl:

Jackson gets ParrotNutz Heaven Sent mash every night, away from L Scoot as it has a few seeds in it. So does Avian Naturals Power Mash. So I'm making my own for the general public for out of cage dining based on your recipe.

pics of grumpy birds :rofl::rofl:

So far so good...:p

Off to Publix to gather mash ingredients....:dance4:
Wow!! This is exciting!!:dance4: I look forward to following this thread!! Purchase alot of Green leafy vegetables and bright orange and red too! Examples, sweet potato, butternut squash, collards, kale, brocoli etc....

Your Parrots are going to REMEMBER what it's like to "feel hungry!!" again. :dance4::dance4:

**** remember that when you sprinkle a "few seeds" for them.. it should only be enough to "entice and interest".. not enough to fill them up on and make a meal!!

Yay for Sarojie!!!!:dancing:

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
$75 on Nutriberries a month :eek: They're a maybe twice a week treat around here! Too expensive to used regularly, and if I'm out, they just have to wait until I find a sale somewhere, lol!

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've always been a huge fan of "Shauna's Mash Diet" from the "Feeding Feathers" Yahoo group, it's pretty much what I follow.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IK-KS4...rA0XH8Qs/Shauna's articles/Shauna's Mash Diet

The only seeds my birds get daily are sprouted .. then maybe once or twice a week as a treat, a sprinkling of TOPs organic seeds.

NutriBerries are a "one a day" treat, and I've been phasing those out in favor of AviCakes.

I really enjoy making birdie mash .. I make enough to last 4/6 weeks, and it's always fun finding new and exciting "combo" to put together.

Have fun Saroj, your birdies will love ya for it!!!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I've always been a huge fan of "Shauna's Mash Diet" from the "Feeding Feathers" Yahoo group, it's pretty much what I follow.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IK-KS4...rA0XH8Qs/Shauna's articles/Shauna's Mash Diet

The only seeds my birds get daily are sprouted .. then maybe once or twice a week as a treat, a sprinkling of TOPs organic seeds.

NutriBerries are a "one a day" treat, and I've been phasing those out in favor of AviCakes.

I really enjoy making birdie mash .. I make enough to last 4/6 weeks, and it's always fun finding new and exciting "combo" to put together.

Have fun Saroj, your birdies will love ya for it!!!

thanks for the link! :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shauna's mash diet is awesome imho.:dancing: Before I embarked on making my own Birdie mash.. I scoured the internet and read hundreds of recipes and commentaries about different birdie mash. What I learned is that there is no "exact science" to making bird mash and the varieties are endless. With that being said, I realized that I had to come up with a mash that was "practical" for me and one that I felt was in line with the nutritional needs of my parrots.:)

The only rules of thumb that I do follow is that:

I always include at least 4 types of grains, 3 types of legumes, 3 green vegetables and 2 BRIGHT orange vegetables in my mash. ***Beans are ALWAYS soaked overnight*****
I never add any type of cooked or raw fruit to my mash.

I serve fruit separately on a skewer or in their wet food bowl.:)

Someone on another forum posted this thread a while ago and I must admit that It definitely helped me to get Jumpstarted!!:dance4:
A (Picture) Guide to a Mash Diet - Talk Budgies Forums

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Saroj - what does chronic pancreatitis do? How does a bird get this? Is Scooter OK? Can you offer nuts?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Saroj - what does chronic pancreatitis do? How does a bird get this? Is Scooter OK? Can you offer nuts?
no fat, fat is a killer.
Saemma posted some good links.:D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Saemma, see last pic.
Should i pulse it through the food processor or serve as is with chili flakes?
Or try both ways?
mash1.JPG

mash2.JPG

mash3.JPG

mash4.JPG

mash5.JPG

mash6.JPG

mash7.JPG

mash8.JPG

mash9.JPG

mash10.JPG