• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching A Goffins How To Read.........

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interesting but I'd rather use something similar to Edmark Reading (sight word vocabulary program) and a whole language type of strategy to teach our bird friends to read rather than a phonics approach. Would want to do words that truly have meaning for our birds in an every day environment and then expand from there. I've taught reading and it's JMHO. I actually started a program mainly with Sophie but then stopped and I am trying to start this again.
However, whatever works is the way to go: phonics, sight words, and/or whole language.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That is fascinating! I'm only halfway through the video, but I'll finish after dinner.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I am impressed. My brain hurts just thinking about even trying something remotely like that with Bug. :faint: I doubt my abilities, not hers!

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It's quite daunting but fascinating at the same time. Notice how well behaved the bird is. Is this enrichment for the Goffins high functioning brain? Will the bird be happier with fewer behavior issues?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
nteresting but I'd rather use something similar to Edmark Reading (sight word vocabulary program) and a whole language type of strategy to teach our bird friends to read rather than a phonics approach. Would want to do words that truly have meaning for our birds in an every day environment and then expand from there.

Very interesting article. A very daunting task indeed. In everyday life someone like me (and you/others) do "associated" learning all the time. The reason many of our birds seem to use words in proper context. Achievable for us mortals.

It's quite daunting but fascinating at the same time. Notice how well behaved the bird is. Is this enrichment for the Goffins high functioning brain? Will the bird be happier with fewer behavior issues?

Absolutely. A thoroughly stimulated mind is the meaning of enrichment. Other definitions would be satisfaction, accomplishment, connection, communication. Ultimately happiness. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very interesting article. A very daunting task indeed. In everyday life someone like me (and you/others) do "associated" learning all the time. The reason many of our birds seem to use words in proper context. Achievable for us mortals.

Absolutely. A thoroughly stimulated mind is the meaning of enrichment. Other definitions would be satisfaction, accomplishment, connection, communication. Ultimately happiness. :)

I totally believe in associated learning and not just teaching them to "parrot" me. I name things and tell them what I am doing and describe what they are doing. I used to read to them (not good about that lately) and one of my red-bellies (RIP) used to request the books he liked. For example, I want "Spot" (Spot series) or "Where's Tommy the Train?" It was amazing, but they were meaningful to him. I did work on colors and he could also name several colors. I thought it would be helpful for requesting objects such as, "I want the red, blue, green, etc ______(name of object)."
I really miss him. When my mom would come to visit the first thing she would do was go upstairs to converse with him. :(

To me a reading program should be meaningful and some of the examples in that video would not be meaningful to my birds or perhaps to most birds.

Last edited:

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
I think someone posted this article in another section of the forum a couple weeks ago.
Very interesting read!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
That's an interesting thought....I'm going to read to Freddy....I can do that every day. He may enjoy that,why not? I'm going to try it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Very interesting. I will have to look into it more. I try to think every day how to provide more stimulation for Elvis. He is smart. And we do some simple communication with hands/tapping but I think he could learn so much more.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Very interesting. I will have to look into it more. I try to think every day how to provide more stimulation for Elvis. He is smart. And we do some simple communication with hands/tapping but I think he could learn so much more.
I know Fred is an altogether different bird but I can't get over how quick he picks up on things. I still have some of my son's picture books early preschool books, he may like that. I never thought of it. He's afraid of everything but he needs more to do. He doesn't seem bored but I wanted to make sure he has stimulating things to encourage learning. I have been looking at puzzle or foraging ideas. Never thought of books!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I keep thinking about this article... and right behind it I also think "daunting". :shocked4: Such an apt word for it.
If y'all come up with any advanced enrichment that even I could manage I'd be very interested. I've wondered about how @saroj12 taught Chickie to sort her colors, maybe starting with something like that? :think1:

I still have some of my son's picture books early preschool books, he may like that. I never thought of it. I have been looking at puzzle or foraging ideas. Never thought of books!
Me either! I didn't think of just reading to them. That would be much simpler & might hold Bug's attention. :) Your post made me think of another story I read on here about a Grey:
Moo Baa La La La | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I keep thinking about this article... and right behind it I also think "daunting". :shocked4: Such an apt word for it.
If y'all come up with any advanced enrichment that even I could manage I'd be very interested. I've wondered about how @saroj12 taught Chickie to sort her colors, maybe starting with something like that? :think1:

Me either! I didn't think of just reading to them. That would be much simpler & might hold Bug's attention. :) Your post made me think of another story I read on here about a Grey:
Moo Baa La La La | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
That's amazing! I got thinking that's really how little kids learn to talk, read, comprehend. They get a lot from reading with a parent. That was one of my favorite things to do with my son. I will do that and see how Freddy likes it. He loves if you're happy and you know it....he chirps when the song pauses. He's cute....

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
....I'm not sure to what extent the Galah ability is...I am sure it's no match for a Grey. I have read about them.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
....I'm not sure to what extent the Galah ability is...I am sure it's no match for a Grey. I have read about them.
I figure maybe not all birds are adept at speech as others, but their comprehension could still be up there.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I figure maybe not all birds are adept at speech as others, but their comprehension could still be up there.
I agree with that....sometimes when he doesn't want a food, he looks at me, makes eye contact, throwing it on the floor. It's the eye contact that gets me, it's like he's saying "I know we can't speak to each other, but I can show you."

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If anyone attempts to do any part of this with your bird please let us know how it goes. Fascinating stuff!