• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching A Goffins How To Read.........

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What a kind thing to say! Thank you! I'm trying everything I can think of to enrich his world. The book idea just added to it, was really wondering if early children's books can somehow help him learn words. The flamingo story talks about adventuring from the nest. LOL I would love for Freddy to adventure from that cage more often! :)
If you keep talking his head off, he will start to talk (if talking is in him).

You mentioned the eyes. That is the connection and you felt it. They do literally speak to you with their eyes and over time you will become very fluent in what he's saying whether he talks or not.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You mentioned the eyes. That is the connection and you felt it. They do literally speak to you with their eyes and over time you will become very fluent in what he's saying whether he talks or not.
Very true.

It's been said that the eyes are the true window into the soul....I've had the pleasure of having the connection that John talks about with so many of the birds that have owned me.
And yes, for all the words Milton says, I understand much more just looking into his eyes.
Hahahahaha! @cassiesdad ? I have been able to find absolutely no kids books featuring parrots or birds.
Actually I've been kicking around the thought of putting a children's book together for quite some time now. I was talking to another roadie here who is going to illustrate it. A problem...getting enough pictures of Milton so she can get a good "handle" on Milty's many looks...

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@JLcribber I was told Freddy can say hello & apple. At times I have heard whispers that creep me out, and I think it was Freddy doing it. I have been told they do whisper to practice and whisper into an empty cup to hear his own voice. He does empty his toy bowl on top of his cage and sticks his head in the empty bowl, so I think he's practicing off and on. We'll see, I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen of course we love him anyway, he's a sweetheart.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@cassiesdad his eyes do say a lot. Lol I can tell when he's in his cage he sits in a certain spot when he wants me to sit with him. And he stares at me until I do. He reminds me of my young son who didn't talk until he was 3. I had no problem guessing what he wanted. Yes the eyes are windows to the soul. None of my lovebirds ever talked but I have no issues figuring out what they want. My Rascal was unbelievable, I had no experience training birds and he would come when I called him, play hide and seek anywhere in the house. He was amazing. But of course ALL I DID WAS PLAY WITH HIM. No housework, he was so distracting. My husband complained Rascal got more attention than he did, but he was right! I would love to train Freddy to just be around us when we're home play and investigate other areas of the house. He was doing that and he stopped. For the last month or so hasn't really wanted to be handled or touched and stays close to his cage. I'm puzzled but I go with it.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@cassiesdad I can't wait for Milton to be immortalized in a book! He's so amazing, I can't imagine what it's like living with a "pet" that communicates like he does. I tell people parrots are not pets, they are companion animals. Because of the connection they need with their keepers, they are really more like companion animals. Someone at work mentioned they would love one because of the way I talk about Freddy, and that's what I tell them. I'm expecting at some point for him to become destructive, so I don't feel he's completely settled in yet. He's getting comfortable but he's not there yet. We have had him 5;months. Almost 6....since early December.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I used to save the centerfolds of Birdtalk magazines and show them to my budgie s. They were very curious . I just showed a couple parrot photos to Mickey and murphy. Both wanted to fly away from the photos and did. I expected that reaction because it was something new. They love watching various birds on my kindle fire screen. Cockatoos are much better with learning new things.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I used to save the centerfolds of Birdtalk magazines and show them to my budgie s. They were very curious . I just showed a couple parrot photos to Mickey and murphy. Both wanted to fly away from the photos and did. I expected that reaction because it was something new. They love watching various birds on my kindle fire screen. Cockatoos are much better with learning new things.
Milton reacts only to other U2s when he sees them in pictures on the computer....he says,"PRETTY PRETTY BIRD" (naturally) when he sees them. Any other species...even other cockatoos...never get a response...