• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sydney is rescued! His story

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Wow! Im so happy to read this thread, glad you were able to get him safe. Looking forward to his progress and lots of pictures :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@Nikomania You know these groomers & trust them. I say have them do the toweling so you're not the bad guy & get them done. They'll probably need a few trims to get back to a normal length anyway. When you are finally able to get him to the vet it'll probably be time for another trim. If, God forbid, anything did go wrong, the groomers would be there & able to help you get him in his carrier to go to the vet.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you! I appreciate all your advice and recommendations very much.
Now leaning towards having them done today. It'll probably be a last minute decision on my part!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Wow! Im so happy to read this thread, glad you were able to get him safe. Looking forward to his progress and lots of pictures :)
Thanks KimKim! Does Babalu need a friend? :dreamyeyes:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yes - but I understand that there have been "trains" put together to get birds from one state to another.
Two of our birds have gotten to us via "birdie trains"...I know talking about one here is premature...but it's something to consider in the future...:)

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
He is, but his location shouldn't become a deterrent. We've flown rehomed birds out to us before and also 4 of our dogs arrived that way. They were no worse for wear.
I was asking that question because some one said they could meet me in SC which didn't make sense cuz I thought Sydney was in CA I thought the bird would need to be shipped if you could not find a local person.
CAGs are my wife's dream bird and we have never had that privilege to rescue one even though we have rescued a ton of species of birds over the years!

Last edited:

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Yes - but I understand that there have been "trains" put together to get birds from one state to another.
I was just offering to do some of the driving for you if you go that route.

Okay I didn't understand the train part! Now it makes sense. That would be pretty cool to get a bird from CA to SE Florida. I was thinking it would have to be flown!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Well, I went ahead and had Sydney's talons clipped and filed. Our groomers are so sweet and gentle and they were wonderful with him. They commented on how muscle weak he seemed and how thin his nails were from lack of nutrition. I was able to finally stroke his head, but only because he was toweled. His feathers aren't as downey soft as Maalik's due to poor nutrition.

I noticed him doing something very cute tonight. He was hanging onto the side of the bars, and would turn his head back towards his toy to pull on it to make it swing. He'd then hold really still while the toy glided back and forth across his back. Once the swinging motion was done, he'd do it again. It reminded me of a birdie massage and of his need to have something touch him.

Tomorrow I'll add another toy to his cage.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
MC uses a leather parrot pocket to sleep against. It hangs from the top of the cage and he cuddles against it. Then beats it up the following day.

Parrot Pockets | Shop

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'd never heard of those before. He might really like them. Thanks for the link!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
If I can remember, I'll get a picture for you later tonight or tomorrow.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Oddly, the post of the thread takes you past some cute pictures. Go back to the beginning of the thread, don't miss a one!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine

I noticed him doing something very cute tonight. He was hanging onto the side of the bars, and would turn his head back towards his toy to pull on it to make it swing. He'd then hold really still while the toy glided back and forth across his back. Once the swinging motion was done, he'd do it again. It reminded me of a birdie massage and of his need to have something touch him.

Tomorrow I'll add another toy to his cage.

Sydney is starting to enjoy life again. Just doing it a little bit at a time. Probably afraid he is going to wake up and find all the nice stuff was a dream.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I can't comprehend how a human can look at that and even began to think it's okay. Dementia does awful things to a persons mind but that is no excuse, especially for 8 years like that. I hope when that old man's mind fades and he's dependent on the care of others he finds more compassion than he could give to this bird, no living thing deserves to be treated like that. His son sounds like an amazing person, I an only imagine how it must have haunted him to know his mother's other baby suffered. It can be hard to overcome a controlling parent, he was very brave to do what he did.
What a mix of emotions, finding this thread at 1 AM! Rage, sorrow, relief, and joy all in 8 pages on a bird forum.

And I am overjoyed at his rescue and that he's gotten to feel comfort and love again. Toys! Food! Touch!
I hope he comes around quickly with all the gentile reassurance and care you've provided, thank you for being there for him. :hug8:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I just finished reading through the entire thread - thank you so, so much for rescuing this sweet little being. You and your son a true angels. :heart:

I am looking forward to more heart-warming updates. :xflove:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I was asking that question because some one said they could meet me in SC which didn't make sense cuz I thought Sydney was in CA I thought the bird would need to be shipped if you could not find a local person.
CAGs are my wife's dream bird and we have never had that privilege to rescue one even though we have rescued a ton of species of birds over the years!
I'm sorry to have confused you.