• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sydney is rescued! His story

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@aooratrix thank you for your support. My family will do right by him.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Nikomania, because of his former home, and to be on the safe side, I would try to get a avian vet appointment. I know that after having Mister the CAG (RIP)in, the clinic. They need to have blood work done to check their calcium levels. Mister was so lacking of calcium that he had seizures.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Nikomania, because of his former home, and to be on the safe side, I would try to get a avian vet appointment. I know that after having Mister the CAG (RIP)in, the clinic. They need to have blood work done to check their calcium levels. Mister was so lacking of calcium that he had seizures.
It's definitely on my list of things to do. First vet visit priority right now is for our cat, Tilly. She's eating, but seems to be losing weight. She's 12 and has been an outdoor cat her entire life (our German Shepherds would otherwise have eaten her).
I'm also waiting for this darn heat wave to break before I schedule his appointment.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I understand just suggesting.

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
:heart::hug8::heart:

I am so glad that Sydney is with you now. It sounds like he is already 100% happier!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Today a kiss on a beak.... tomorrow a skritch?

Stay tuned to "as Sydney returns" for tomorrow's episode!

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I have a friend flying to San Diego in August.
Maybe she could bring Sydney back to the east coast.
I'm only a day from Florida. I would drive half way to Florida.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
@BirdManDan if you really want the CAG I would be more than happy to drive one day to pick him up and one day back (Tennessee or Kentucky).
Then another day to meet you half way (South Carolina).
If you make the driving/mapping schedule I will do four days worth of driving for you.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
@BirdManDan if you really want the CAG I would be more than happy to drive one day to pick him up and one day back (Tennessee or Kentucky).
Then another day to meet you half way (South Carolina).
If you make the driving/mapping schedule I will do four days worth of driving for you.

Isn't the bird in CA?

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sydney is cage bound and hasn't as of yet emerged from his cage. @Clueless I'm in complete agreement with you. He needs rehabilitation and to relearn trust at this point in time. Greys are very cautious birds, so it could take him while.
It is not our intention of keeping him at this point in time.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'd like to ask everyone's opinion on this. We have a mobile bird groomer coming over this afternoon to trim up my fids' talons. Sydney's talons are extremely long and sharp, and I'm considering having his done, too. However, this would require a toweling and removal from his cage, something I'm very hesitate to put him through so soon. On the other hand, his talons are so sharp, I'm concerned that once we do teach him to step up, we could recoil from the sharpness, which could potentially push back his progress.
Your thoughts?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
OMG...just thank you...:bluhug:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'd like to ask everyone's opinion on this. We have a mobile bird groomer coming over this afternoon to trim up my fids' talons. Sydney's talons are extremely long and sharp, and I'm considering having his done, too. However, this would require a toweling and removal from his cage, something I'm very hesitate to put him through so soon. On the other hand, his talons are so sharp, I'm concerned that once we do teach him to step up, we could recoil from the sharpness, which could potentially push back his progress.
Your thoughts?
I would have the vet do his nails given his poor quality of life for the past eight years. If something happens, they will be there to help him.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would have the vet do his nails given his poor quality of life for the past eight years. If something happens, they will be there to help him.
Good thought.....

Scary to think but parrots can die from stress. A vet is better equipped to deal with that I would think.

I knew nothing when I got my guys and took them straight to a lady at a pet store that did their nails and wings. Looking back, not a good decision and we're all blessed that they lived through it.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
These groomers are very gentle with my birds. Young entrepreneurs who started their own mobile business when our local bird store shuttered its doors. They used to work at the bird store and identified a need for this service.

It'll probably be less stressful to have his nails trimmed here by them versus toweling him to get him into his carrier and then driving him over to the vet. I'm just not certain if it might be too soon to have him go through this ordeal. But then again it might be better to do it now and then not have any further stressors as he progresses along.
I'm torn as to what is best for him.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Agreed.
But then again it might be better to do it now and then not have any further stressors as he progresses along.
That's my thought also....it'll be a very temporary stress that will preclude ones down the road. And since you know and trust your groomer, it's a good thing to have done...