• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sydney is rescued! His story

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
What about a soft perch, like a boing. You can get an odd shape, like a round one. Treat when he steps on it.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Right now anything that approaches him is considered to be a scary thing. Even food offered from our hands is approached cautiously.
I really like the moving stand idea. Going to see what I can find that might work.
Wish Dr. Fosters Smith had something like that on their mark down page.

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Perches frighten him atm. However, I could look into the rolling stand idea. Sounds like it could work, although he might want to fly back to his cage as we roll him away from it.

We won't be putting him into the aviary for another 3+weeks, which is when he'll be done with his quarantine

I'd say, at first don't move the stand. Just make it the cool place to be with treats. Then maybe move the stand a bit farther and see if he WANTS to go to it. Then move it a tiny bit with him on it once he's comfortable with being on the stand. Baby steps.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh my gosh, who is that hacking up a lung? Why, that would be Sydney. Asked my son if his previous owner smoked, and he does. 3-4 packs per day.
Guess I'll now have to be reminded of it. Over and over and over again. :shocked5:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Oh my gosh, who is that hacking up a lung? Why, that would be Sydney. Asked my son if his previous owner smoked, and he does. 3-4 packs per day.
Guess I'll now have to be reminded of it. Over and over and over again. :shocked5:
We know about that type of cough...Milton does that when he wants to be covered up at night. It's also a "leftover" from his first person, an older gentleman with medical problems...

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Hopefully, he will find new, more interesting words/noises and leave that behind. Louise and her brother, when they visit, often learn each others words. It is why Louise purrs and meows, and why Grady now says "hello sweetheart". Hopefully, you do not end up with a flock that sounds like are all chain smoking...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
He's cage protective because he doesn't want to lose his "stuff".

Years of nothing can make you that way.
Stockholm syndrome in a grey

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I thought that's where you fall in love with your captors?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
To add to the play stand idea you could attach one of the highway ropes like Oliver's Garden has between the two and try to get him to move from the cage to the play stand via the rope.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
To add to the play stand idea you could attach one of the highway ropes like Oliver's Garden has between the two and try to get him to move from the cage to the play stand via the rope.
I did the same thing with my sennie when we adopted him. I had a rolling playstand that I had next to his cage and attached a rope perch, and just left the door open so he could explore on this own time. Since then, I also discovered having a flat perch attached outside of the cage and at the same level as one of the bars/perchs of the playstand helped encourage curiosity. This was very successful with Luna and now he has the confidence to fly to his new Wingdow too on his own.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So, I'm at a bit of a quandary as to what will be best for Sydney in the long run, and wanted to ask for your opinions. He seems to be doing pretty well overall, except for the cage protectiveness and trust issues at this point. Would it be better to find a suitable home for him now with someone who he will learn to trust and bond with, or do I continue working with him, knowing he'll likely be rehomed and have to go through the process again with someone else. My gut is telling me that he might be better off working with his forever person sooner rather than later.

Thoughts???

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, I'm at a bit of a quandary as to what will be best for Sydney in the long run, and wanted to ask for your opinions. He seems to be doing pretty well overall, except for the cage protectiveness and trust issues at this point. Would it be better to find a suitable home for him now with someone who he will learn to trust and bond with, or do I continue working with him, knowing he'll likely be rehomed and have to go through the process again with someone else. My gut is telling me that he might be better off working with his forever person sooner rather than later.

Thoughts???

I don't know what to recommend. He is getting comfortable and doing well and moving him so soon might not be good but then keeping him and then moving him after he has built a lot of trust might be worse. Are you 100% sure you want to rehome him? Would you get something in writing that in case the new person decides they don't want to keep him they will return him. Sometimes forever homes don't turn out to be forever for various reasons and would be good if Sydney goes back to a place where he would be loved and cared for.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes, I would. I'd only plan on rehoming him to either a grey-savvy person, or to someone personally familiar with working with neglected rehomed birds.

And, no, I'm not 100% certain we'll rehome him. We entered into this rescue with the initial goal of rehoming him. However, I do know me. If I work with him through his trust issues, then I'd be more likely to keep him. Guess that's why I'm juggling this scenario right now.

Last edited:

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I see and agree that you need to do what is best for Sydney. I think it depends on what kind of re-hab he needs. If it is just trust and bonding and he is capable of that, it might be better to move him sooner. If he is deeply hurt and disturbed as a result of living in those poor conditions, he may need more time or a lifetime. Does he seem really resilient or barely resilient? I also think your son needs to weigh in on it--as you point out, bonding goes 2 ways (three it seems: for you, your son, and Sydney). I also think his vet visit may impact the decision. If so much damage has been done that he doesn't have much time, then moving him from the safety he has just re-gained would be sad. If there is nothing chronic and serious... that is a different thing. I don't envy your position of deciding between re-hab and re-home. I have been around a variety of birds and each were so cool in their own way. When I my friend got a Grey, at first I didn't understand. Of all the vibrant choices, a Grey seemed plain. But they are beautiful, expressive, intelligent...I was so lucky to meet Grady when he was so small and watch him grow. And when I met his sister, there was no way I was going to let that beautiful, sweet bird go to a breeding facility. I think I also saw you have a Grey, I've always heard that Greys only flock with other Greys, Louise knows who Grady is and calls for him--and I don't mean squaws and whistles, she yell his name. If Sydney stays with you, he will have a buddy.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He's resilient and basically lacks trust, and understandably so. Every day he comes out of his shell more and more, and I am confident he'll be able to bond with someone again in time. 100%.
Right now he's singing, whistling and carrying on while looking out the bedroom window. The previous owner's son mentioned he rarely ever heard him make a peep.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I would. I'd only plan on rehoming him to either a grey-savvy person, or to someone personally familiar with working with neglected rehomed birds.

And, no, I'm not 100% certain we'll rehome him. We entered into this rescue with the initial goal of rehoming him. However, I do know me. If I work with him through his trust issues, then I'd be more likely to keep him. Guess that's why I'm juggling this scenario right now.

Since you are not 100% sure, if it were me, I would not rehome him.