• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sydney is rescued! His story

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He's resilient and basically lacks trust, and understandably so. Every day he comes out of his shell more and more, and I am confident he'll be able to bond with someone again in time. 100%.
Right now he's singing, whistling and carrying on while looking out the bedroom window. The previous owner's son mentioned he rarely ever heard him make a peep.
That's what makes the fostering/rehoming so hard. Once you've seen the potential in a mistreated bird slowly come out with one's care and love it's very hard to think of giving them up to a new person, let alone a new home. We can do all the checks we want but none of us really know what a home is like once one's out the door.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Okay. I'm thinking our picture(s) are overdue..... @Nikomania

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Alright everyone. Let me again remind you (and myself) that keeping Sydney's not our plan at this point in time. But the longer he remains with us, the more difficult it'll be to let him go.
As for updated pictures, he hasn't wanted to leave his cage for the past 3 days, so they'd be pictures taken through the bars. My son's out of town and he's the one who's been able to get him out of his cage. I leave his cage door opened, but he won't emerge.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
As for updated pictures, he hasn't wanted to leave his cage for the past 3 days, so they'd be pictures taken through the bars.
And for the record, I'll take anything I can get. Sydney's story is near and dear to me.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sydney is an exceptionally handsome AG. You can't even imagine how much I would love to take him in, but Jasper already has respiratory issues. So I just hope very intensely that he gets a great forever home.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sydney is an exceptionally handsome AG. You can't even imagine how much I would love to take him in, but Jasper already has respiratory issues. So I just hope very intensely that he gets a great forever home.
I appreciate your heart's desire, and do know how a Grey's dander can lethally harm a macaw's respiratory system.

Sydney really is a sweet little guy. Just extremely uneasy around people. At least for now.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So, I had Sydney out of his cage tonight, but it was kind of accidentally. I had his cage open as I regularly do to talk with him and had my hands resting a little ways away so that he'd get used to them. He had his head lowered towards me in very much the same way Maalik does when he's ready for some lovin'. So...I slowly moved over to lightly touch the top of his head, and he nailed me with lightning bolt speed, causing me to retract my hand with Sydney attached to it. Think we were both surprised by it all! But that retraction definitely removed him from his cage!
I was able to reach down and have him step up, something he'll do without biting once he's nowhere near his dwelling.

I held him for a good half hour, talking softly to him, whistling and singing nonsensical melodies. Poor guy really is unsure about humans. His beak was slightly parted, and he fluttered the shoulder portion of his wings in much the same fashion as a bird would if he wanted to fly, but didn't think he could. Was hoping he'd relax in time, but it was minimal.

We'll keep at it daily, and hopefully in time he'll realize we're not all monsters!

I simply adore his cute rings, pops and notes that he makes, except for the hacking up a lung sound. He doesn't seem to know any words, and might be one of those CAGS that doesn't have the language ability.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I firmly believe he can talk.

Sorry you got nailed @Nikomania

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so glad there are people like you, @Nikomania, who have the capability and are willing to help heal the wounds that people inflict on our Parrots.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Handsome :heart:!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Tell your son he needs to come home...... I'm in Sydney withdrawal, need an updated picture.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sydney is refusing to come out of his cage at all now. I'll leave the door open, but he won't venture out at all. There's no way I'll be putting my hand in to get him out, either. If I were to try a perch, he'd likely be absolutely petrified to have it anywhere near him.
If he won't venture out of his cage, I won't be able to work with him at all, other than to sit and talk or sing to him.