• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should older people adopt parrots in need?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
When my husband comes back in,(he just left this morning) I will try to get video of it. It is so cute the way he jumps across the top of his cage. I sat and read to him today while he was playing with a chunk of wood in his cage. I could see him look at me. When I fed him his supper as he was eating, I asked if it tasted good so he promptly threw down what he was eating into the floor of his cage. I know he liked it, but he didn't want me to know that. It is almost humorous how he can act like a petulant child when Daddy's gone. I have another question, I know - really? When his shorter cage arrives we are thinking of moving it closer to where we sit in the living room. It would put it next to my chair and the couch where my husband sits when he is home. I did this with my green cheek and he loved being there and really warmed up faster. The way my house is set up, he is now sitting in the dining area that adjoins the living area. He can see us, but my back is facing his cage. Do you think it would be ok to move him to the new spot where he would be closer and get more interaction? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
I do, I believe he would feel more like part of a flock, even if he is not out of his cage, he is observing the comings and going of the family routine. My birds are in the family room where we are all the time. Besides can't hurt to try ! :) instead of your back to him , you get to enjoy and take in his beauty if you are facing him ! right !!! :xflove:

Last edited:

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He can see from the dining room, but I can't see him that well and I know my green cheek loved being right in the center of things. I am hoping he will too. I'm going to give it a shot. We can always move him back if he hates it. My house is pretty quiet most of the time with just two to three adults depending on the day. The other adult is a tv watcher so maybe Zeus will get into it too if he's where he can see it better.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
He can see from the dining room, but I can't see him that well and I know my green cheek loved being right in the center of things. I am hoping he will too. I'm going to give it a shot. We can always move him back if he hates it. My house is pretty quiet most of the time with just two to three adults depending on the day. The other adult is a tv watcher so maybe Zeus will get into it too if he's where he can see it better.
Absolutely, they like the t.v. and they thrive being in the thick of things.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Mine love company

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The only thing to consider putting the cage in the main living area is that he gets dark and quiet for a solid 10 plus hours. If the tv is on late and someone is up earlier, just something to keep in mind. A macaw that doesn't get enough sleep is really a grumpy child.

And he's not acting like a petulant child, he is one .. the worst type, the one that never grows up or out of It!

Can't wait to see the video....

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Moving Nerds cage into the area between the living room and dining room really made him open up and blossom. He was very happy being in the middle of all the action and he kept doing more and being active. Only thing he hated was being woke up before he was ready. We used to adjust the cereal boxes to give him some shade to hide in, he was never covered.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
The new shorter cage is here and will be moving him into our living room tomorrow. He is still being petulant with me and loving the men of my household. He shoots daggers out of his eyes at me and dances for them. We are considering adding one more bird to our flock to give him a bird in the same room but different cage to interact with while my husband is gone. We are looking for one more his size. All our others are very small compared to him. He loves to hear them, but because of size difference can't really interact much. We will probably go with a baby this time in hopes it will bond with me. Both Zeus and our Gandoff were adopted as older birds and both bonded to him. Only ours raised from babies bonded with me. Don't get me wrong I will continue to work and be patient trying to win over Zeus, but he just seems a bit depressed when my husband leaves. He likes when I bring the other birds in, but they will fit through his cage bars, and that could be deadly. That being said, my question is would an Eclectus be too small to be around him or would it be better to stick with larger birds? I love African greys and Cockatoos, but I'm guessing they are too dusty to be around Zeus. I may consider another Macaw, but their cages do take a lot of space. Any thoughts? Also does anyone have thoughts on any reputable breeders near or around East TX? I spoke with Deb that I got him from, but it's going to be quite awhile before she will have any.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
One more question. Has anyone heard of or dealt with a small breeder out of Atlanta Ga by the name of Mobley? I ran across their site the other day. They have cockatoos, Macaws, and african greys . Just curious as their prices are half the price that our are in Tx even with the shipping.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
So my husband came in tonight and Zeus got all excited. Then when I came over he went crazy aggressive, biting at myself and my husband when offered treats. When I walked away he would eat with my husband and take treats. I think he is going through a hormonal thing. He was spreading his wings, fanning his tail, bowing, and bobbing his head. We do keep long hours and though he doesn't like it I think we will have to try covering his cage at night so he gets more rest and darkness. Also I realized I'm feeding him warm foods and I read that can add to the hormonal behavior. My next strategy is to try and curb hormonal behaviors. Any advice is welcome.
I did try the shirt swap and Zeus was not impressed. He just looked at me like "who do you think you're fooling?":rofl:

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Upon much research, and vet visit, we have found Zeus to be quite malnourished. His beak which should be jet black has white lines and white areas of pigmentation loss. His feathers are also chronically dirty looking. The vet also said as timid as he was he thinks he may have been abused. The good news is he appears to be otherwise healthy and I have been able to get him to eat pellets soaked in a little orange mango juice. He is loving his fresh foods also.
We also were able to find out that his original owners had not only Zeus, but a sun conure and an amazon parrot. He was apparently bonded to the amazon parrot. They kept both other birds and only sold Zeus. I think that probably has a lot to do with his depressed mood. We are considering seeing if we can find him a buddy. I had originally thought a baby, but I would really rather give another older bird a chance at a better life. We are not counting on them being best buds, but hoping that having the company in the same room with him might help pull him out of his shell. The vet thought it would be a good idea and if they turn out to be buds, then that is a plus. My question is should we go with another macaw or would a medium size bird be ok? I can fit one more macaw cage in my house, but it will be a tight squeeze. :lol:I thought about an amazon since he was bonded with one once before, but don't know much about them and have heard they can be hard to handle. I can't really do dusty birds, or I would do a too or grey. If anyone has any suggestions, any input would be appreciated. We don't have any rescues closer than 3 hours away and most require multiple visits, so I will be watching ads to see if anything comes up that looks promising. Thanks for any help in advance.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Poor baby Zeus, he's such a good baby. My jasper grieved for 6 months after she was taken from her original home and then again when Hank died. I'd give him some more time and just be kind and patient with him. Did you get the Red Pa;m Oil for him? Since you know he is malnourished, it may be a very good idea to put him on DMG also for a few months.

DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium - It works and Sarah and I both have birds on it. You can buy DMG here - Amazon.com : Vetri-DMG 125 mg, 3.85-Ounce : Pet Antioxidant Nutritional Supplements : Pet Supplies

Give him .5ml twice a day for two weeks, then drop to .25ml twice a day from then on. His malnutrition can be and should be corrected as soon as possible to avoid any permanent effects.

@cathybill7 - Please don't every consider a Cockatoo, cockatiel or African Grey in your home. Macaws, especially Blue and Golds are susceptible to a fatal disease called Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome. Several of our members have lost their Macaw or Conure or Amazon to this disease.
Please read this: Cardio, Respiratory and Circulatory Diseases | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks Hankmacaw for responding.
I have ordered the Red palm oil and will order the DMG today. Thanks for the heads up on that. I won't consider any of the dusty species, as I have a son that visits regular that has asthma, and Zeus is another reason not to bring one home. Do you have any thoughts on choices if we do get him a companion?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
My heart goes for amazons, so sorry for what he's going through. He's lost everything stable, his family and his buddy. No wonder he's quiet at times.

I'll never understand why people break up pets.

Oddly, my zons go completely quiet and still when the toddlers come through or when technicians come into the house. I've told hubby they know they are spoiled here and don't want to leave.....

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
An Amazon, since he was attached to one before. There are the "Hot Three", Double Yellow Head, Yellow Head and Blue front. They are the ones who seem to live up to their reputation - of course every bird is an individual. I'm no Amazon expert but, the Mealy seems to be the best of the bunch (hard to find), then the Lilac Front, Orange Wing seem to be relative easy to live with. It's always up to the owner to a large extent (except for Wasabi, of course).

@macawpower58 has a mealy and maybe she will come to tell you more about him. @jmfleish has a bunch of Amazons and I'm sure she can give you a lot of information.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I have 2 male blue front amazons. One is a sweetheart, one is a mini wasabi.

Each parrot is an individual.

Beware the honeymoon......

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
We are considering seeing if we can find him a buddy. I had originally thought a baby, but I would really rather give another older bird a chance at a better life. We are not counting on them being best buds, but hoping that having the company in the same room with him might help pull him out of his shell. The vet thought it would be a good idea and if they turn out to be buds, then that is a plus. My question is should we go with another macaw or would a medium size bird be ok?
I think that is a really good idea! :)
It can be fine with a Amazon, but if it where my bird I would have get another BG Macaw.
It is so much easier to have two with same species that need the same and they also have the same body languish.
And if you find another older (10+) Macaw that also has grown up with other Macaws it will be easier.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Update: Zeus loves being in the thick of things in the living room. His shorter cage is working out great, as I can now get him to step up, so I can take him outside where he spends time in his older bigger cage. Since he's not on top of it, height is not an issue out there. He loves being outside and is even starting to love his shower/misting every other day. If I bring him in too soon, he yells to go out again. He is really coming out of his shell. He is still in love with my husband, and still occasionally lunges at me for his own entertainment, but we have a pretty good understanding of each other. I now cover his cage at night and he is resting better. He's eating well and and his new feathers (he's molting) are coming in shiny and vibrant.
On another note, we are going to be taking in a male baby Eclectus. My daughter-in-law's friend, from Austin got it and can't keep it, so since we were looking for Zeus a buddy, we are going to take him. She is bringing him down when she comes back here at the end of the month. I am aware they require a special diet of which I am researching like crazy, but any info for diet, training and general care is appreciated. Thanks for all the help and support you have all given me with Zeus. I know it has probably made it a much easier transition for him than it would have been if I hadn't had your knowledgeable help.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That's good to hear!