• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should older people adopt parrots in need?

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Sounds like you guys are off to a good start. Congrats on your new addition when he gets there I am sure they will keep each other entertained if only through seeing each other. Be prepared for more volume...:laugh:

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I would not think a Macaw and an Eclectus would be a good match. I know there are people who have both and make it work so I am aware it is possible, although it was my impression you were trying to get Zeus a friend to lesson his stress. Although Eclectus are gentle birds the issue is that they become stressed easily and are prone to plucking issues when that happens. You may be looking to solve one issue and creating another thats much harder to deal with. Dobey lives with 2 smaller birds but they can't interact. He is also territorial. The small birds like to watch bird videos online...tried showing video of Eclectus to Dobey and he screamed to high heaven.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I hate to hear you say that but if the Eclectus is brought in as a baby, wouldn't he learn to view Zeus as part of his flock and that being said, why would a member of his flock stress him? They won't be sharing a cage, only the same room. I've already committed to taking him, so if anyone who has both macaws and eclectus and are making it work, please chime in on how you do it.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Good to hear that Zeus is coming out of his shell ! I'm glad you have decided to include Zeus to join the family in the living room... Do worry about baby Eclectus and Zeus, nothing is written in stone that this may be a potential miss- match. Just keep a watchful eye out on Zeus when they are out together. Keep a positive energy ...all will be well .:victory:

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Planning on slow introduction. I was told by vet put their cages near each other and give Zeus same or more attention from start. Both their cages will be right beside where I sit in the living area so I will be close to both. I will have a stand away from Zeus' cage so they can be out but further separated if needed. The Eclectus cage will get here two weeks before he gets here, and we are going to set it up so Zeus gets used to it before the baby gets here. This baby is still being spoon fed twice a day, she got it and then lost her job. She is moving back in with her parents, and they won't let her bring the bird, that's why we are taking him.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Your doing everything right, and being most conscientious to boot! ;) I understand your wanting to get feedback from others . Everyone has a opinion , some you may like and others you may not, don't let these differences throw you off track. follow your instincts...do your research , try not to overthink this " it will make you crazy " trust me on this one , I have a tendency to nitpick & dissect every issue...Your doing a fabulous job ! can't wait to here and see pictures of Baby Eclectus ! :swoon:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I hate to hear you say that but if the Eclectus is brought in as a baby, wouldn't he learn to view Zeus as part of his flock and that being said, why would a member of his flock stress him? They won't be sharing a cage, only the same room. I've already committed to taking him, so if anyone who has both macaws and eclectus and are making it work, please chime in on how you do it.
This always boils down to what you can provide (environment) to make things work. It's very possible to keep almost any species together in fairly good harmony.

You are the catalyst to all these things and you sound very capable of making it work.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It's possible for them to get along beautifully, but there obviously aren't any guarantees. Just have a plan B in mind should they not take a liking towards each other.
My ekki hates other birds. But that's most likely due to his not having had any birdie friends in his last home during the first 14 years of his life. I believe your chances will be much better for success since your ekki's a young bird.

Last edited:

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate the words of encouragement and even those I don't like to hear. Sometimes we need to hear things we don't like. I believe if I proceed with caution, I can make it work, but I will definitely have a plan B.

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
Even if they do not become friendly that doesn't mean they won't be good company for one another. My grey hates other birds but watches our conure every day for hours - she even imitates him occasionally.

And when one bird is out of sight of the other it is non-stop alarm call screaming (often both of them screaming at the same time). So I figure they must consider themselves part of the same flock. Or they think the other one is getting treats. Hard to tell.

The end result is that we always keep them in the same room together, apart from shower time.

Granted it gets more complicated having them out of their cages. I only have one out at a time to prevent any accidents.

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
Knowing they have company certainly helps with the guilt when you have to leave them alone for a period of time ;)

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I think he will enjoy the company. I'm home most the time, but when I do have to go somewhere and he's in his cage, I think it will make him feel better about being there.

RandyMiller

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Randy Miller
You should definitely go ahead and bring the Macaw home.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Update: So the lady we were getting the baby Ekkie from backed out and I resigned myself to keeping Zeus alone until a companion presented itself to me rather than actively searching for one. Low and behold, it would appear we were meant to have an Ekkie, because a rather affluent couple we met by chance, had bought an unrelated pair of babies (4 months old) on a whim, and then the reality of time, and mess struck them. They were not prepared for what is involved in keeping them, and asked if I would take them. I said I would and was never so shocked as to see 2 birds this size in a cage made for green cheek conure at best. Other than this, their care had been pretty good and they appeared very healthy. They only had them about 4 weeks and they actually came from a very good breeder here in Tx. I named them Finn and Maggie. They have checked out very healthy and are totally beautiful birds. So sweet and friendly. Zeus has really perked up with the new neighbors moving in. Maggie has actually flown over to his cage a couple of times and funny enough, he seemed a bit scared of her. I took her off his cage, as she was more interested in his food than in him, and he didn't like her in his food. LOL So let the games begin.
eclectus babies.jpg

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Cute Ekkies!

Welcome to the Avenue, Finn and Maggie...:)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They're gorgeous, congratulations! I hope Zeus enjoys his new friends!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
They are beautiful :)