• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should older people adopt parrots in need?

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
They are adorbs! :heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on your new eclectus parrots!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
:congrats5:

Their beautiful , I'm happy for You and Zeus,. You have a lovely flock enjoy !

:coolparrot:​

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They are beautiful!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
what a lucky break for you and the birds...congrats on your new additions!!

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you all. Zeus seems very happy to have them here. He is perking up by leaps and bounds. He even talks to them some already. Can anyone recommend a good unfortified seed mix and tell me where to get it? Thanks in advance.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Zeus update: Though we were told Zeus was a 10 yr old male, it turns out Zeus is a female. She laid an egg last night which broke on bottom of the cage. The egg had some blood on the outside of it which I don't know if that is normal or not. I haven't had a female bird before other than chickens and theirs don't have blood usually unless it is a first time layer. Any info on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. I am a bit stressed as I don't know what to replace eggs with, should I put a towel in bottom of cage or a box or what? If anyone has any experience I could use some help. Thanks again.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Surprise, surprise!

Our first time eggs on all of our small species (budgies and tiels) had small streaks of blood on them. You'll have to monitor Zeus to see if she'll be producing more eggs. Also look into providing a calcium source...i.e. cuttlebone to make sure she's getting enough calcium.

I'm assuming more roadies who are owned by macs will be posting...

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks Bob. She is on a pretty high calcium diet normally with lots of kale, brussel sprout etc. I have given a calcium/mineral block, but she doesn't touch it. Any thoughts on what to do with the broken egg? Should I try to find a substitute? All we have here in my small town is ping pong balls or ceramic chicken eggs for snake problems.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Since the egg is broken, remove it.

I've seen and heard of macs treating oranges, door knobs, and balls as eggs...we've had circumstances here on AA of girls doing just that! You can order fake eggs for any size bird on the internet, also.

In a pinch, wouldn't the ceramic chicken eggs do?

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. I'll go and get a few. From what I've read they lay 2-4 eggs a clutch usually, so I'll get several.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@cathybill7 Did you also say you have a Ruepell's? I hadn't heard of one and the google search came up with a Ruppells vulture and I thought WOW that can't be right...did a little more searching and I found the Ruepell's parrot, beautiful bird! You also mentioned red around her eyes when you thought she might have a cold. I am not a macaw owner, but my friend has one. Her's blushes, gets red around the eyes when he excited. Louise, my CAG, also blushes. And congrats on your 2 new additions.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Max flat out picked me from the moment we met, I never wanted a macaw, he stepped up and face planted into my chest, an hour later when I left the table with Max sitting on the back of a chair, he jumped on the table and ran across to follow me, wings shaking and him doing what I call his whine.
:cry3: *happy tears* :swoon:

I did try the shirt swap and Zeus was not impressed. He just looked at me like "who do you think you're fooling?":rofl:
:laugh: Dang, I was hoping this would've worked!

I've seen and heard of macs treating oranges, door knobs, and balls as eggs...we've had circumstances here on AA of girls doing just that! You can order fake eggs for any size bird on the internet, also.

In a pinch, wouldn't the ceramic chicken eggs do?
Hahaha the Jolly ball! :laughing4:
My Egg is Gone, I'll Have to Hatch This.... | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

And the orange! :roflmao:
Blue and Gold Macaw: "I have decided that I will hatch this orange." | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I haven't seen the door knob, but that's hysterical. Any luck hatching those "hybrids"? ;)

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Sweet Louise, that Ruepell's is beautiful and also the baddest bird in the house. That one took to my husband also, and will actually fly over and attack me. Gandalf will latch onto my skin like a pitbull. I have great respect for invading his space. LOL

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
And by the way congratulations, to Mama Z? I don't know what I would do if we found out that Buzzard was Buzzina.:shocked4: I hope all things egg go well for Zeus. :angel1: We are always stressed when Harley starts laying.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@cathybill, maybe Gandalf is part vulture?:lol: