• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should older people adopt parrots in need?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
The lady I got him from that rehomed him for the previous owner said he freaked out in the shower when she tried it. Right now he won't step up for me to get him anywhere. He has been moody the last two days and refuses to step up. His cage is 7' tall as I said and when he's up there I can't even get him on a perch, he just bites the end of it. He would get on it when he was in the first small cage and he would step up on my are to get out, but not the last couple days. He'll eat out of my hand but he doesn't want to be handled. Any suggestions are appreciated on this subject. As for as the hosing down comment, it's one thing to say you use your hose to create a rain effect for him or to mist him, but when some one says they hose him down about once every two months, it puts me in mind that this could be the same day they wash his cage with him in it. I have no problem with someone sprinkling water as you said from a distance, but his obvious fear and dislike of water after that comment makes me wonder.
Baby steps with Zeus. He has so much to relearn

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I was worried about the fact he is so much higher than me, but on one of the old postings on here general consensus seemed to say that was a fallacy. I don't really know enough on that subject. He doesn't act really aggressive, he will give a warning lunge some times if I try to get him to step up, but he doesn't really act like he wants to follow through. My big concern is he seems a bit depressed the last couple of days. Not really interacting a lot, but with him staying on top of his cage, it's hard to interact other than talking to him and playing some music. I am backing off trying to get him to step up and see if he goes back to his perkier self. I read an old thread on here about a greenwing and they said his stepping up shouldn't be our immediate concern, just making him comfortable and building trust with us to start.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you just sit by his cage and read to him for a little while? Maybe from a children's book?

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I was worried about the fact he is so much higher than me, but on one of the old postings on here general consensus seemed to say that was a fallacy. I don't really know enough on that subject. He doesn't act really aggressive, he will give a warning lunge some times if I try to get him to step up, but he doesn't really act like he wants to follow through. My big concern is he seems a bit depressed the last couple of days. Not really interacting a lot, but with him staying on top of his cage, it's hard to interact other than talking to him and playing some music. I am backing off trying to get him to step up and see if he goes back to his perkier self. I read an old thread on here about a greenwing and they said his stepping up shouldn't be our immediate concern, just making him comfortable and building trust with us to start.
I agree stepping up is not the biggest concern for now , getting the feel of his new surrounding is more the frist order, they feed off of our energy. Give him some space for awhile. We all have off days,even bird's :xflove:

Last edited:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
When is Zeus's vet appointment?

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
The end of this week (Fri) was the earliest I can get him in. He hasn't sneezed since day before yesterday, and seems to be feeling in rare form today. He has danced, and talked some. I started the day by immediately opening his cage, and turned him on some music. I made him a wood perch for the top of his cage, as I figured the wire had to be hard on his feet, and he has been playing on it every since. He apparently has a real thing for Reggae music. He gave some loud screams of approval. He was really excited when I put it on for him. This has been his best day since I first brought him home. I think stress has been his biggest problem, and I think my trying to have him step up was making it worse. I am taking a few steps back and just letting him be, and he seems pretty happy with that. I am working toward enclosing the front porch so he can eventually go out with me in the mornings and have a safe place for being outside. Hopefully he will be comfortable enough before long to use it.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
He has good taste in music, reggae is my summer time favorite. It takes a few months for them to settle in. :)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Play the Reggae for him as much as he will take it. Dance and sing along with it and see if he will join you. This will help you bond. Focus on making him happy and emotionally stimulating him. The trust will come eventually.

George likes music and if you have him on your shoulder and you sing and dance to the music he will whistle and dance too.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I am playing the music as much as tv watchers in my house allow. We had a break through on bathing today. I saw him dipping his head and trying to fit in his little water bowl, so I pulled out the mister. First he tried to run away, but then he started flapping his wings and acting as though he were in a rain shower. He absolutely enjoyed his first bath here.:cheer:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I didn't think he would last long not liking bathes. Getting wet is very important to macaws and usually the ones who don't like a shower have been abused with water. Showers are also important to their health.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I am playing the music as much as tv watchers in my house allow. We had a break through on bathing today. I saw him dipping his head and trying to fit in his little water bowl, so I pulled out the mister. First he tried to run away, but then he started flapping his wings and acting as though he were in a rain shower. He absolutely enjoyed his first bath here.:cheer:
Yay! See he'll come around . :fairy2:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Yay! See he'll come around . :fairy2:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Woo hoo!!!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
About high dominance, I read that's it's not something that happens in nature. But they are smart enough to know when they have you at a disadvantage. So even thou it's not a natural behavior I believe it can happen in captivity. It may be something you have to work on.

It's great he really enjoyed his shower :)

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He might have loved his shower, but he wasn't fond of pellets. :sour: I mixed a little Harrison's and Zupreem Fruit loops. He proceeded to take his beak and rake them out of the bowl and into the bottom of his cage. I am going to keep trying, but if I can't get him to eat them I will crush them and put in birdy bread. I made him some this weekend with zucchini and yellow squash red and yellow bell peppers along with nutriberries I crushed up(he throws those out too.) But he loved his birdy bread with them.:smug:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
What about that un-pellet that was mentioned earlier in the thread from pheonix foraging? I ordered some. The reviews are very high.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
You might try soaking some pellets in water or unsweetened fruit juice to soften them and offer them that way. This often works well with parrots who aren't used to eating dry pellets. My two birds eat dry pellets, but still enjoy some of the softened ones, and expect to get some every day.

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Hi, my Mom will be 94 this August. She has been a wonderful owner to Sweetie-Pie for years. The bird is a cockatiel, she loves my Mom and Mom loves her. Mom still lives in her home and takes care of her own shopping, laundry, Sweetie-Pie and herself. We finally hired a girl to come in and clean twice a month, but Mom really kept things pretty well all by herself. Stay active, if possible, and your birds will keep you young. They make you laugh, give you someone (out in the country) to talk to, and require your care each a.m. I say "Go for it!" Best Wishes! :)

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I might give the unpellets a try. I did mix some in his nightly cooked dinner, and he ate some that way. I am also going to try soaking the pellets in juice when I go back to town to get some.
Thanks Patty Girl, I plan on keeping my little farm going and staying active as long as I can.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I might give the unpellets a try. I did mix some in his nightly cooked dinner, and he ate some that way. I am also going to try soaking the pellets in juice when I go back to town to get some.
Thanks Patty Girl, I plan on keeping my little farm going and staying active as long as I can.
Don't soak them, just dip them. If you soak them the vitamins will leech out making the pellets pointless :).