• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I keep Anna or give her away?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
how about get another one for company? I mean it would keep her happy and you can feel less guilty keeping her in the big cage
Birds in nature live in a flock, just saying. I have two German shepherds and 2 love bird parents who just had 4 babies,. I can't imagine how boring it would
be for any of my pets to be totally alone
She can't. They're on St Martin. Anna may be the only cockatoo on the island (or one of very few). :( If it hadn't been for that hurricane destroying the zoo, Anna would still be alone.

Last edited:

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
ohh that's too bad, back to the drawing board

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@Barcann I am just thrilled for Anna that she gets to keep her family! If you ever do end up having to rehome her in the future (or will her) there's always Parrote Ville Bird Sanctuary. I don't think they have any toos, but I saw 1 pic of a cockatiel someone posted on Trip Advisor. :)

I don't know their whole setup, but they have at least one huge aviary that houses dozens of smaller parrots where their guests can walk through and feed them. Maybe they have something similar for larger birds? At least they know about birds, likely have an avian vet on staff, and she would have some interaction even if it's not her own species. You sure wouldn't have to tell them how to build an aviary that's for darned sure. Maybe you could visit & look around. (and post pics!) :D

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I'd do like everyone says and set her up a inside area so she has some quality mommy time besides her outside time in the aviary and I bet she'd quiet down and be very happy. All of my Maxis were free ranging once we were home and it was/is safe to let them hang out and roam around. If I had a safe aviary Dobby would be out there when I'm home if he wants to be and he'd be able to come and go so if he wants to hang out with us or have outside time to enjoy himself and think Dobby thoughts. Nerd birds alone time was to jump on my kitchen chair under the table and snooze and think Nerd thoughts.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Yes there is but my wifi connection is not good right now.

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Your obviously very attached to her ❤ I would keep her and to heck with the neighbors, I mean really... people have dogs that bark at all hours, kids that cry and scream! trust me they’ll deal... I’ve had to part with feather children in the past :( and I can tell you there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think of them, it hurt my heart to give them up more than I can put into words. follow your heart, it will guide you to do what is right.. at this point Anna sounds like she’s your family.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
When I am home, Freddy likes to hang out with me while I do things. He will call me if he knows I'm home, he knows he always sees me in the morning, early if I have to work. He will hang out on the kitchen chair and watch me or look out the windows. Right now he's elected to stay on the cage top. No cuddles today lol. They won't always be everywhere. Sometimes they are content just being in the same room or knowing where you are. I know rb2 are more independent though, which is nice. Since Anna is used to being alone she probably doesn't need to learn independence, which should be easier. And if you don't want to deal with food in the house with her just put her either in her aviary or her cage to eat and sleep. That would be fine, and she will quiet down a lot. My Freddy will only eat meals in his cage. Just what he's used to.

Last edited:

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
I unfortunately don't have a place inside the house where she can be. I have all open air rooms, living in the Caribbean, and I am afraid she would fly away. Plus my dogs have free roam of the house and would probably harass her or vice versa.
I do have a large cage that I can roll inside but I hate to see her stay long in that cage. She cannot roam around like she does in the aviary.
But tonight she will be in that cage in the house. We are under a tropical storm watch (Isaac) so I won't leave her outside.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I unfortunately don't have a place inside the house where she can be. I have all open air rooms, living in the Caribbean, and I am afraid she would fly away. Plus my dogs have free roam of the house and would probably harass her or vice versa.
I do have a large cage that I can roll inside but I hate to see her stay long in that cage. She cannot roam around like she does in the aviary.
But tonight she will be in that cage in the house. We are under a tropical storm watch (Isaac) so I won't leave her outside.
Ah ok....that makes sense. That is hard then so these aren't what I would see as a typical home. Well then you are already doing what you can, and being able to move her into the house even though she's in her cage would make her happier too. :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
See if she is quieter inside in a cage. I know the coming hurricane won't help the situation but maybe some time inside w/you and your family (even w/dogs) may be good for her (and you). Be safe, please. I've never lived in a hurricane prone area (just tornadoes in the middle of the U.S.) but I'll be moving south to Florida next year. From my ex all I can say is "Tot zeins".

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well maybe eventually you could set up some kind of barrier setup in a appropriate area she would be safe in like many who have made or built indoor aviaries for their birds. I'd like to do that for Dobby someday but it'd have to be armored up as he loves to chew and destroy stuff. All our chairs he likes have multiple blankets and things covering them and he still punches holes in the top blanket, it's his thing you know.
Anyways as long as she's happy and gets her cuddle time you do the best you can with what you have.