• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I keep Anna or give her away?

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
Hi all
I have not posted in awhile but I have been reading all your posts and enjoying them.
I posted before about Anna, my umbrella cockatoo, and you all were so helpful.
I have learned over the year (she was a rescue form the local zoo after the hurricane) I have had Anna that having a cockatoo is not easy.
I adore her and she completely trusts me.
She remains mostly in her outdoor aviary where she has trees and branches to climb and lots of toys to destroy. I sometimes put her in a smaller cage where she is closer to the house.
I often go in the aviary and she loves to cuddle with me.
But there is no getting away from it..She is a noisy bird and sometimes she drives us crazy. I am afraid she is driving our neighbors crazy too, although so far they have been nice about it.
I now have the chance to give Anna to a nature park. They have some animals there. no other birds though.
I know they would take good care of her. I have to talk with them about building a proper cage/aviary for her as I do not want her cooped up in a small cage.
BUT I am so conflicted about this. I feel so guilty. I would miss her. Would she miss me? Do cockatoos miss their people or do they adjust to new settings and new people well?
I know no one can make this decision for me, but do any of you have any advice or opinions about what I should do?
Thanks so much

anna.jpg

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
'Toos do get attached to their people...that's a fact.
Do cockatoos miss their people or do they adjust to new settings and new people well?
We adopted Milton from a rescue in 2011. He was raised by one person...an older gentleman, who doted on Milty. When he passed, he went to live with his daughter, who lost their home and had to place Milty in the rescue. Just giving you the background on Milton.

When we adopted Milty, it took him almost 3 years to "come out of his shell", so to speak. He did all right adjusting to us and his new home...but I could feel a deep down sadness in his soul. I believe he was mourning the loss of his beloved person. For some reason, in early 2014, Milty decided to make that "leap of faith"...and open up to us. He became much happier in his actions...and his vocabulary literally exploded!

You definitely are in a tough spot. Anna seems to be happy with you...and you are happy to have her in your life. Do you actually believe her quality of life will be better at the nature park? That should be the basis on how you decide what to do.

My opinion...for what it's worth...Anna SHOULD STAY WITH YOU.....

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I second what Cassiesdad said. Birds remember, and I think you and Anna need each other.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds in an animal park may be looked at by others sort of like in a zoo. I don't imagine birds would be happy in that environment and may revert to wildness without human contact. I feel sorry for her.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Have you asked your neighbors if she bothers them? It's possible that after a year they may not notice her as much as they used to. :shrug2:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If her call is the only negative, then I vote for you keeping her and working around the noise somehow.

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I think I'd keep her as like said they do get attached to their people, especially the chosen one, which it sounds like you are. Plus you already know you'd miss her as well and wonder about the what ifs. If you know for sure she is unhappy and miserable that's a different story. Lurch was a very mad and scared used parrot but we wore each other down and I could see in his eyes he was happy so that was good enough for me and he did choose me. Hang in there and be a happy flock.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He who promises more than he is able to perform, is false to himself; and he who does not perform what he has promised, is a traitor to his friend.

George Shelley

We never give away or give up on family. We make it work.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I would say that since she loves to cuddle she may be miserable in a park setting. That’s just my opinion, and I don’t have a cockatoo so it may not be worth much. But if a parrot shows interest and comfort from their humans presence I would imagine being placed in a “home” where that wasn’t a daily occurrence could be quite traumatic.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I think it may be different if she never showed the desire to be close to people (and even then with time many do), but to put her in a zoo like setting where she isn’t part of a family, but rather part of an exhibit, would have quite an impact on her emotions I think.
All large parrots are loud. When my macaw does his danger/warning call my ears could burst lol. But the good outweighs the bad. No bird and no one is perfect. :heart:
I wish you luck in your decision. :bluhug:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I also hope you can keep Anna. If you have to talk with them about building a proper aviary, it sounds like they don’t know much about parrots. Also, if she’s the only one, she’ll be lonely and she’ll miss her flock, which is you. I think it’s very hard on a bird to leave their home and it’s sounds like she really likes you. Do you have a place for her inside? She’s probably being loud because she wants to see you, and she might be quieter if she was inside where she could watch you when you are home.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Birds DO miss their person and their human family even if not everyone is involved with them. It comes down to being used to your home, living set-up and day-to-day familiar noises. I guess my question for you, and I don't mean to put pressure on you or be mean, is why do you think Anna may be better off in a park? By that I mean how would Anna benefit? Would she have more attention as the single bird or would she "just" be another addition to the park?

I do not own any large birds, my largest is a sun conure but I DO understand the noise factor. But when I look at the photo you posted of Anna I see a cockatoo in what seems to be perfect feather and with a normal feisty 'too look. Your girl is beautiful and that is due to your care and hard work.

I'll also add after reading @Tiel Feathers post, sun conure Tikki is loud as all get-out. But when he can hang out on my shoulder or sit on top of the fridge watching me do dishes, etc. in the kitchen he is much quieter. Yes, there are still screams but much less and not as often.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
No one knows how long our "time" will be. If you love her then make the most of your days & then one of you will take it from there...Now you ae both safe in each other...Make it last as long as it can...No one has an expiration date/...

Suppose you gave her up to someone who would be killed in a few years...You can't cement her dextiny just like you cant your own....Live your life with the ones you love...One of you may walk to the bridge sooner but its the love we can hold that matters not the time we can't have!!@@

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I would also worry about having to tell a park that they'd need to build a space for Anna a certain way and with certain materials. Once you have given her up will you have any say in her care or what she is used to?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think you should keep her. You are her family and home and she loves you. Being in a park for people to look at will not be what she needs going by the sounds of how she loves to cuddle with you. She needs to be loved and belong not stared at by strangers.
I hope for both you and Anna that you decide to let her stay with you where it sounds like she is happy and well cared for.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Keep her.

If it's just the noise factor, @JLcribber posted an article a while back that may help.

Granted parrots can be a challenge at times, but they are also a blessing.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Shes so beautiful,my main concern.. if you give her up, will she mutilate herself out of sadness? Will she scream and pace,,wanting you? Will she go into a depression and not eat? Like another said, could you bring her inside the house? Im sure being outside all day makes her a bit lonely,,hence the noise..you go in a cuddle with her,, so she is bonded to you, being inside may keep her calmer and quieter...Noise is minimal compared to emotions and health..and if she is alone in a park type setting, that would be miserable to a bird who is used to human interaction and being loved on..I think you'll be able to look into your heart and decide what is best for Anna and yourself.:hug8:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm going to add my 2cents, the clinic where I volunteer at, takes in a few rescues. I helped to rescue a Congo African Grey, named Mister. His owner chose to give him up. The hardest thing we all had to deal with was his calling for Myrtle. He screamed for her for days. He couldn't be pacified with any other person. We worked with him, played with him, put up with his constant potty mouth. In the end we lost him, breaks my heart everytime I think about him. The only thing he ever wanted was his Myrtle. He with her now, she died shortly after she gave up all of her birds.
Talk to neighbors, find out if it bothers them Anna calling, don't give on her, work with her daily, but don't give her up.