• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

it must be in the air "RESCUE ME"

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I got a phone call about noon time from Dr. Barb and Dr. Tony., would I be willing to go with Nick to pick up 5 birds plus their cages in South Mpls. The woman who own the birds can no longer care for them and she is client of clinic. of course I said YES. Nick lives in New Hope and the house we went to is a part of town I would not walk around in after dark. none of the birds are neglected and are in pretty good shape. 2 budgies:budgie: &:budgie6:, 2 cockatiels:tiel2: &:pearl:, and a red factor CAG:cagrf:. the budgies were already in a travel cage as were the tiels. the African Grey was not a happy bird about getting into travel cage, but with a few treats and some firm persuasion, Nick got him in a small crate. we broke down the big cage he was in, into large 5 pieces and into the van. with bags & Bags of food, we got everybody settled into the seats and buckled. the CAG was the most upset about the car ride. we pulled into a gas station and I worked a couple of towels around his cage to darken it. then it was easy peasy after that. once at the clinic it was getting everybody inside and in to the quarantine room. Nick and I put that cage together in less then 10 minutes for the CAG. the budgies are 2 females (I think) and the best of friends. the tiels are both males (I think) and could care less about each other. so there is 2 smallish cages for them. The CAG was just ticked off in spades and it took Dr. Tony about 5 minutes of taking the travel crate apart to get him out. The CAG has huge potty mouth, there was string of cuss words basically telling us where to go and just how to get there. we had to go outside to start laughing. the food is mostly Walmart trash and Dr. Barb threw a lot of it out. she kept enough of it to get them started on better diet of pellets. Dr. Tony will do exams on Monday and give them a chance to settle down abit. we both showered and changed into street clothes. I got cuddles from Fast Freddy and Petey. we ate lunch and I came home with "G".

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
That was so good of you to go and help them! :hug8: Poor grey buddy, not happy and not understanding what's going on. :( I hope they are ok and find good homes.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
it was funny at the old house where they were living. the woman had to be in her mid 80's, about 4' nothing and tough as 16 penny nails. Nick tried several times to be nice about Mr. CAG getting in that travel cage. she push the 2 of us out of the way and grab Mr. CAG by his feet and stuffed him in the travel cage with few choice words about him being naughty. We now know where the naughty words come from.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
so kind of you...I hope it works out well for all of them.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would question any african grey in the USA to be "red factor".... I see a lot of greys that I wouldn't consider to be "red factor" at all, due to the condition of their feathers. Also, many people aren't aware of the difference between red factor and red suffusion.

I hope they all find loving homes!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Monica what is the difference between factor and suffusion, please? I know that their crappy diet may have something to do with their feather quality. Mr. CAG is about 20 + years old and she told us that his feathers had always had a few red belly feathers.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Red Factor = Born with the coloration and can be reproduced within future offspring

Red Suffusion = Unnatural coloration that is caused due to diet, plucking, mutilation, health, or?

Most african greys in the USA have red suffusion - most often caused by plucking out feathers which damages the feather follicles, thus resulting in abnormal coloration of new feathers coming in.

Some babies are also born with "red diapers", but this doesn't make the chicks 'red factor', as the coloration molts out as the birds develop into adults.

PBFD and liver failure can also result in red feathers. I'm sure other health issues could result in red coloration.

The famous Alex even had one red feather on his neck. He didn't get this red feather until after a plucking incident...

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It was very nice of you to help with this rescue. I feel sad for that poor grey :(

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
WOW, CAG. not happy, but he will be taken care of. That's all that matters.
He will get over it. Poor baby.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Thank goodness they have you! I hope they find homes soon enough.
I'd love for you to keep up posted!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Good on you! Big adjustments ahead for them. Hope they find good homes soon.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I was at the clinic again today, for a short time. Rode in with "G", there was emergency with another bird, but it would give me time to clean the birds boarding there, cages and work on some franken style toys for Mr. CAG. the 2 birds that are boarding are from the same home but as different as day and night. a :hawkhead: Hawkhead & :rla: Red Lored Amazon. both are feisty as all get out. but a lot of it is bluff too. once they saw I was bringing food, treats & toys they both settled down. Nick was in the quarantine room cleaning cages and getting the 5 settled in better. Mr. CAG was still cussing up a storm. after getting cages cleaned, re-papered, forging treats hidden and both birds back into their cages. I got out the box of toy parts, forging treats and sat in the kitchen putting together toys for the 5 in quarantine. 8 toys in about 45 minutes. 2 for the budgies, 2 for each of the tiels, and 2 large ones for Mr. CAG. some forging surprises in each toy. because I didn't want to go thru the whole procedure for quarantine, I knocked on the door from the outside of the main quarantine room, Nick answered thru the door, I put the toys in a box outside and left.
The emergency bird ended up in surgery for a broken wing. I played catch with Fast Freddy and his wiffle ball, while I cleaned his cage and Java Tree. there were no other birds in the place. it was too quiet. I did check on the mama cat in the kitty room. she and her 4 kittens are doing great. she was found in the dumpster, having her babies. she went in there on her own. Nick got cleaned up and we went to get lunch for everybody, subs and salads. he will be staying the night to watch over the bird that had surgery. "G" and I came home about 2 pm.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
just got the vet reports for all five birds that we rescued:
the budgies are reasonably healthy with some minor malnutrition issues
same with the cockatiels. Dr. Barb brought in two larger cages for the tiels.
Mr. CAG has some health issues that is going cause him stay a lot longer at the clinic. he has malnutrition, is greatly under weight. at one time his left wing was broken and not repair. they are doing extensive blood work for PDFD and possible Asper. he at one also broke a toe and the nail is deformed. he had to be sedated while they did the exam. he has eaten but only sunflower seeds. so they will be working to tube feed him some formula. I am glad I will not be tube feeding him cuz he is fighter big time. they will decide what they are going to do with him after the blood work comes back.
will keep you all informed.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor CAG, I hope his test results are good!

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Bless you for doing this