• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get A Ringneck?

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
What did i say wrong?
did i push to make the decision or did i just lay out the info and the only reason I said yes was because of the thought (at the beginning) that she was talking about a ringneck dove!

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
I Did not push her to make the decision why are you attacking me?
I never told her to do it!
she said she was getting one do you think it would have done well to argue?
no.
I never pushed her to make the decision!

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I am sure that if anything were to go wrong she will try her best to rehome the IRN.
Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that! Rehoming a bird is very painful, not just for the owner, but for the bird :( The best solution is to educate, contemplate, look at present and future circumstances, before you make a decision. Counting ALL the cost. Not just the financial cost.

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
I Understand that but after all, it's not like I pushed her to make the decision Y'all are treating me like I said "do it get an IRN" let me ask you thou did I do that?
NO so stop attacking me and back off!
seriously she asked for info I gave it to her she made a decision I don't have the authority to judge her only god has that authority!

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
Right now i am not feeling like this is the place i thought it was.
:bash::banghead::huh::mad:

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No one is attacking you. Having a disagreement isn't attacking.

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
There is a difference when two people are argueing but when 3 people are ganging up and disagreeing with one person let me tell you it sure does feel like attacking.
And to think that all i did was give someone info honestly.
I Have no words.
You guys were acting like i told her to buy the bird!

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I Understand that but after all, it's not like I pushed her to make the decision Y'all are treating me like I said "do it get an IRN" let me ask you thou did I do that?
NO so stop attacking me and back off!
seriously she asked for info I gave it to her she made a decision I don't have the authority to judge her only god has that authority!
First, no one is attacking you, but rather commenting on some of the statements you have made here. Look at as a learning experience, instead of taking it personal. No one is perfect, and no one has a perfect situation. But take the advise coming from well seasoned bird owners, who have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
I Understand that but i would like to be explained to what i did wrong?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The decision is done she is getting one no argument her decision
This post right here didn't do you any favors as you are essentially shutting down anyone who attempts to educate the OP about what she may be getting herself into. This approach is quite stern, as if your opinion was all that mattered. This is where you went wrong.

Last edited:

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I Understand that but i would like to be explained to what i did wrong?
You made a very inexperienced statement to some one inexperienced. Like “if it doesn’t work out the IRN could be rehomed.” Some of these birds mate for life. They become part of our family. And many will out live you.

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
Yeah...
I Understand.
Thanks For Correcting Me I Guess...
Sorry For Blowing Up On Y'all This PLace Is An Amazing Place.
And I Don't Know Where I'd Be Without It.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@MaxieTheBirdie also, just chill out a bit. You don't need to jump on every post. There are a lot of forum members and between us, we're familiar with most common - and some less common - companion bird species. If you don't have experience of a species, it's OK not to respond with stuff that you've copy-pasted from another site. Someone will be along who does have experience with that species, and they'll be able to answer questions with greater accuracy and detail.

It's totally fine to watch and learn. There are people on this board who have been keeping birds for decades and who are happy to share their experience. I learn something new every day.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I'll weigh in as someone who has an IRN.

Do not take bringing home any bird lightly, and IRNs have qualities that warrant additional research. Their bluffing, territorial aggression, vocalizations, and neediness all need to be understood.

I've considered rehoming my IRN because she simply does not get along with my BHC, and even though I'm diligent with keeping everyone safe, I still worry that she'll find some way to pick a fight and someone will get hurt.

She is incredibly demanding of attention. This has led to Pippin and Cake getting slightly less one-on-one attention during the day (though they seem to be adjusting okay, since they have each other). This has led me to wonder if I'm truly able to give everyone the *best* home they can have, and if she may be happier in a home where she's the only bird.

IRNs can certainly be great birds, but their quirks can easily lead to discord in the home if you don't fully know what you're bringing home.