• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get A Ringneck?

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
Wow! I just wanted advice. You guys are turning this into a full on debate!!! Just calm down. When I said keep them together, I didn't mean in the same cage. I meant in the same room. I'll do more research, okay? You're right, I should do more research when I make a big decision like this. But I'm a responsible bird owner. You are accusing me of stuff that I would never do. Over all, thank you all for your input.

Sorry if I came off rude. It was just on my mind.

Last edited:

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
IRNs are wonderful birds as long as you have spent a lllooonnnggg time doing research. I knew my current IRN for 3 years before he moved in as a favor. Some owners find IRNs really sweet UNTIL they join a mixed flock. Glenn, my current IRN, lives separately from my other birds and lives my hours so he can get private attention from me.

My current IRN is referred to as the King of Mean. He even tries to hurt himself and every two months gets to wear special "socks" to keep him from chewing his legs when we change meds.

Previously, an IRN lived with me. Just like today, my conures learned fast not to rile up any IRN.

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
... I'm afraid this is causing to much drama. I'll do more research before buying a bird, like you're telling me to, but this website has only made me more indecisive. I think I'm gonna delete my account. Again thank all of you for your... opinions. I'll try to be more specific if I ever do this again. Have a nice day.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
... I'm afraid this is causing to much drama. I'll do more research before buying a bird, like you're telling me to, but this website has only made me more indecisive. I think I'm gonna delete my account. Again thank all of you for your... opinions. I'll try to be more specific if I ever do this again. Have a nice day.

We don't mean to discourage you, but being uncertain and cautious when contemplating bringing a bird home is a good thing, I think. There are so many variables from species to species and individual and individual that it's impossible to say "yeah, an IRN would be a great fit for your flock" or, alternately, "an IRN is going to be terrible for you." We're here to educate and inform, and oftentimes that translates to "proceed with extreme caution" responses when many people are seeking reassurance and validation. Unfortunately, urging people to bring new birds into their flock can easily lead to heartbreak and difficult decisions, and I think we all want to avoid that situation altogether.

In short, do what you think is best for your flock, but understand the risks and the quirks of the species you're looking at adding.