• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get A Ringneck?

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
Hey guys. Just so you know I've been posting threads off the hook today, so go check those out. Anyway, I've been wondering if there is room in my life for a IRN. I have college, so I'm gone part of the day and he won't getting all the love he wants. I've heard of IRNs going 'Wild' from not getting attention. Is that right? One more thing, I have a Jenday Conure, Mabel. Is it not a good idea to keep them together? Should I keep them away from each other? Could they get jealous from one another?

Please help me answer these questions! ;)

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
The ring-necked dove is the most commonly kept companion bird of the dove family, and can be found easily due to their prolific breeding. In fact, you might have a hard time keeping them from breeding. Because they are so hardy, they make a good choice for someone who doesn’t have the time to devote to a more attention-demanding bird.

Doves have different housing needs than parrots. Doves are unable to climb up the cage bars like parrots can; instead they move about by flying back and forth, which makes a wide cage an important feature. Offer a variety of perch styles and of varying diameters, which will help promote good foot health in your dove. Doves also need opportunities for bathing.

Doves are gentle birds, and will not bite or attack the way some parrot species will. Ring-necked doves can be easily hand-tamed, though most owners do not interact with them in this way.

Conures and Budgies are suitable cagemates for the ring neck Dove

z5c0f25e7c0b72.gif

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
Hope that helped what cage size to plan on using.
Can you take a picture of the cage?

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
And to answer your question Yes I very much think that you should get a dove as long as you have the right food and right cage and right perches if you can show me those?

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Wait... I thought you had a Sun conure not Jenday conure. Also, is your question about an Indian Ringneck or a Ringnecked Dove?

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
Oh, Wait for A Second You Meant Indian Ring Neck???
I though a ringneck dove!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
@That_Bird_Girl said Mabel is a Jenday Conure here but the thread title of MABEL THE SUNNY led me to believe Mabel is a Sun Conure. Which is she? If you don't know that's okay. Just tell us about her colors and we'll let you know which she is.

How old is Mabel? Is she your first bird?

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
Wow! This has gotten me a little frazzled. First of all, I did Indian Ringneck Parakeet, that's what I thought you were talking about! (I realize now I was totally wrong) Second of all, I'm pretty sure Mabel is a Jenday conure. I've seen her coloring, it's mostly green on her wings, and that made me think she was a Jenday, after that I thought that was gonna change because she's only 11 months old, but then I went to the store I bought her from. They said she was a Jenday. Lastly, I'll send a picture of Mabel's cage tomorrow. She's sleeping right now.

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
oh!
Ill make some research about indian ringneck parakeet for yeah

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
The Indian ring-necked parakeet is not a shy bird, and does best with an owner who appreciates an outgoing companion that is not afraid to demand what it wants! Indian ring-necks can also be quite talkative.

The Indian ring-necked parakeet, also called the rose-winged parakeet, has been kept as a pet for centuries and remains a favorite companion bird today. A devoted owner will do best with this temperamental bird that requires a great deal of attention to remain tame. However, the Indian ring-necked will charm and delight the person who takes the time to appreciate its other qualities — a playful exuberance and a remarkable talking ability.

Indian ring-necked parakeets are sensitive birds that need lots of play time and time out of the cage to remain happy; if not, expect your bird to develop neurotic disorders that may be very difficult to reverse.

Because of the long tail, Indian ringnecks need a larger cage than another bird of the same relative size. Ringnecks love their toys and will hang on them and toss them around the cage, so be sure to have lots of toys on hand to replace the ones your bird destroys — this type of destruction is a normal, healthy part of being a companion bird. If you can handle a good deal of chattering, some of it ear-piercing, and you have the time and energy to spend with this beautiful bird, consider welcoming an Indian ring-necked parakeet into your family.

there is no promise they will get along together they might hate each other but also might like each other I laid out the information it's in your hands now

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
Oh my god, you have helped me so much! I couldn't be more grateful.

It's decided! I've done my research, with your help, and came to the conclusion that I will get my own Indian Ringneck Parakeet! :irn:

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
Good Luck!
I'm so glad i helped you today!
Keep me updated!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Obviously, many members currently have or have had Indian Ringnecks, IRNs. (Hint: look at my signature)

Young Jendays usually have red bellies and cheeks whereas young Suns usually have orange. At her age, wings can be tricky. If the top half of her wing is mostly green, Mabel is a Jenday. If splotchy yellow, Mabel is probably a Sun. Both are noisy Aratingas.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
If you're not familiar with birds... IRNs particularly... they're not for the easily frazzled. They don't mix well with other species!!! If you're hoping for a companion for your conure, it's not likely to happen.

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
The decision is done she is getting one no argument her decision