• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get A Ringneck?

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
Also, I'm not that easily frazzled, I just had a long at school. I'm pretty tired. Also, I am fairly familiar with birds. I've have one now and I've had some in the past.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
So is a Sun! Haha Noise level isn't the key here. As a lone conure, it really doesn't matter. My favorite joke is
What do you mean no one's home? I'm here to scream for 911.​

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
Haha! That's true.:) Anyway, I better be getting to bed. I have to wake up early tomorrow. See ya'!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I'm glad to hear you've had birds! Then you are familiar with conures and IRNs. I was concerned when @MaxieTheBirdie started talking doves not IRNs. She also concerned me more by saying you'd decided to get your conure an IRN.

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
Yeah. I've had about 4 more birds before Mabel. Birds like Cleo the Cockateil & Murphy the Parakeet. Those were both MY birds when I was about 10 or 9. The other 2 were family birds.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I think you should think about it a little more. IRNs are loud and while they are independent babies when they want some time they REALLY want some time. They can also get jealous of other birds. I know My IRN does not get along with my GCC. Also, since you are a student I imagine he/she would be caged most of the day?

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
Well, I do have college but I live with my parents. They're home most of the day.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Looks like a Jenday to me from the avatar. But hard to tell from that picture and has she by chance molted yet? Our Jenday did not like other birds of any kind but that was her, all birds are different.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm a university lecturer (college professor for those of you in the US). As you can imagine, I know a lot of students, and if one of them came to me asking if they should get a second parrot, I would tell them to wait.

Parrots are so long-lived that you have to think about your lives together in terms of decades. An IRN could live for 20-30 years. Do you know what you're going to be doing in 5, 10, 20 years? How will two parrots fit into your life?

What are your plans after college? Many new graduates don't find secure, permanent work immediately after graduation; some find that they want to have the freedom to move jobs or cities/countries, and some struggle to find work in a not-great economy. Depending on where you end up working, you may be expected to work for long or irregular hours which will limit how much time you can spend with your bird(s). If you do get a second parrot and they can't be let out together, how will you manage that? You can let one bird out for 3 hours in the evening and it will still get enough sleep, but two?

You may also want to move out of your parents' home. Renting with one bird is hard enough - renting with two loud birds would be very difficult. You'll have to be able to rent somewhere big enough for two cages rather than just one. You'll either have to find bird-friendly housemates or deal with the additional expenses of living alone.

You may want to have a relationship. You may want to have a family. How will having two parrots fit into that?

Vet bills could also add up if both get sick or need treatment - this is especially an issue if they're in the same environment and exposed to the same stuff. Plus the additional expense of toys, food etc.

This is not a decision to rush into. Really sit down and have a think about what you can offer a second bird, whether an IRN is right for you and your current bird, what you would do if your two birds cannot be out together without fighting and injuries, and what your lifestyle will look like in the future. There will still be IRNs around in ten years time when you're more settled and have a better idea of what your adult life looks like.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The decision is done she is getting one no argument her decision

If she's getting one with as little information as she's gotten, then she is doing it half blind. IRNs are a special species and have some difficult issues. For one thing you never ever try to put two or more birds in a cage of different beak sizes. The bird with the larger beak can and probably will harm or kill the other.

@MaxieTheBirdie You have given advice that is not complete nor generally acceptable more than once. Be careful these are lives and human feelings you are messing with.

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
What did I do wrong I laid out the information I stated in what I said that they might not get along together and I stated that IRNS don't get along with other birds usually and that they need special attention!
what am I to do!
it's her decision what happens is between her and god.
end of story period.
she will learn from her mistakes!(if it was a mistake)

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
And who said she's gonna put them in the same cage??
see you're uneducated on what she's doing!

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
This is a big decision, not one to take lightly but as I said it's between her and god now.
and I am sure that if anything were to go wrong she will try her best to rehome the IRN.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One more thing, I have a Jenday Conure, Mabel. Is it not a good idea to keep them together?

You are not improving your reputation on this forum. She asked if it was a good idea to keep them together.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
she will learn from her mistakes!(if it was a mistake)
She may learn from a mistake, but the bird is the one who will suffer from a mistake. The suffering of birds is what we try to avoid here when we give advice to owners. Actually, people are way back in the caring line for me.